ADP Reviews in Irvine, CA | Glassdoor

ADP CEO Carlos A. Rodriguez
Carlos A. Rodriguez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance leaves a bit to be desired (in 185 reviews)

• Politics is way too high, There is no work life balance (in 60 reviews)

1. "SBS District Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

young work hard play hard culture, high earning potential

Cons

territories get smaller as quota rises, babysat, constant grind

Advice to Management

stop micromanaging

"HRBPO Sales"

Current Employee - District Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at ADP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Base Salary is decent. That's about it.

Cons

Definitely can feel isolated. It all depends on your management. In this office its clear favoritism. If you are not part of the "cool people club" prepare to be ostracized and eventually managed out of your job. You will be micromanaged and berated should you not meet their personal(not company) goals. Definitely an entry level foot soldier company. As a top performer for various sales organizations(5+ years) you will still be treated like a child. Prepare to be babysat.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your sales managers. Sometimes the best sellers make horrible managers. Inter-office politics need to stop. Focus on professionalism.

ADP Response

Aug 14, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for these valuable insights. If you wish to share more about your ADP experience, please contact us at adp_talent_community@adp.com

"ADP SBS Sales"

Current Employee - SBS Associate District Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - SBS Associate District Manager in Irvine, CA

Pros

Great benefits, create your own relationships and partnerships, great training

Cons

Micromanaging, no work life balance, a lot of busy work and data entry for a sales position

Advice to Management

Less micromanaging and trust the employees you hire to do the job as they were trained

"Corporate Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at ADP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Training programs are available for everyone.

Cons

Too many divisions.and hard to do business with.

Advice to Management

Need to simplify sales and implementation processes

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."

Former Employee - SBS Associate District Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - SBS Associate District Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at ADP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I finally got a decent territory (Physical, Bankers, Enrolled Agents) I overshot President's Club by 60 grand while only working 25 hr weeks.
    Most colleagues are enjoyable to work with, but it's easy to get along with anyone for six months before you never see them again.
    ADP looks great on a resume if you're interested in "advancing" to a similarly low-level company, like Cintas, where they prefer good soldiers and value effort over true salesmanship because they would rather dictate your entire sales process than develop you into a skilled rainmaker that employs the apparent lost art of thinking.

Cons

I busted my hump and hustled like crazy for two years and nine months before finally getting a decent slice of opportunity.
    As a starting District Manager, you are lead generation for upmarket divisions (Retirement, Total Source, etc) and you remain as such for as long as you are in SBS. Don't have any illusions to the contrary.
    They tell everyone during the hiring process that they will be a manager, everyone. Just ask the people you meet at corporate training. That reminds me, if you take the job be sure to get the contact of the other DMs you meet at training, 90% of them will have better jobs in under a year and you will also be looking to jump ship.
    The starting salary (35 grand I think?) is NOT a lot of money, even for a recent grad, especially when you're constantly belittled and taking flack from "leaders" that only had to sell 20% of your quota in their day, which happened to be during a booming economy with less competitors and many more competitive advantages.
    Most successful DMs are clumsy frat boys that develop into overconfident and ineffective managers after they play politics and stroke egos long enough to get a territory that gives them the opportunity to succeed. When they get their management position, they think they're Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross and refuse to provide any actual support, they were successful at this job and if you aren't it's only because you are an unmotivated slacker.
    This really gets bad when they miss their quota as managers, because again, it's your fault, not theirs.
    Management's mantra is, "It's not the territory, it's the rep" by this logic it follows that, "It's not the rep, it's the manager"
    Meetings are a complete waste of time, terrible music for ten minutes while everyone files into the conference room, two minutes of actual product/promotional information, then 45 minutes of individual reps reporting their sales figures for that week, terribly inefficient use of valuable selling hours.
    I learned more about sales selling watches with a great mentor during college in LA than I ever did at ADP.

Advice to Management

Develop your employees, I have learned as a boss that I have a responsibility to provide those I hire with the opportunity to succeed. This doesn't mean cutting them slack, it means being realistic.
    Stop calling a $2,500 sale, "2 point 5." 2.5 means $2,500,000. I knew that in '08 and cringed when I had to use your jargon. If you ever get a real sales job and sell a real 2.5, you'll know how embarrassing the ADP lingo really is.
    Lastly, I worked for you for four terrible years before finally leaving, my salary now is $325,000 and I work for a top consulting firm in Manhattan, I know what I'm talking about.

6. "Good for competitive and aggressive sales reps"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at ADP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

uncapped commission, flexibility, incentive trips and career path

Cons

not a lot of job support, confusion about policies/payroll tax laws internally, favoritism amount management to their employees

7. "Stepping stone on the outside sales career path"

Current Employee - District Manager- SBS Outside Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - District Manager- SBS Outside Sales in Irvine, CA

Pros

Company reputation for your resume
    Training
    Mentor program
    Able to hit #'s & make $ if you hustle
    Lots of help offered for those who want it
    Office manager is really great

Cons

Tons of Layoffs --No loyalty & No warning
    People-let go great workers; hire/keep shady or questionable ones
    Feedback could be better
    Typical office political b.s. & favoritism shown by team leaders
    Non-mandatory, but MANDATORY if you want to keep your job or get promoted meet-ups before and after work ALL the time.
    Commission/deals fall apart at the last minute ALL time so it's really hard to plan your $$

Advice to Management

Everyone knows the economy is still really tough especially in SoCal. Team leaders play favorites and cover up a lot of bad things that go on in order "to win". Getting rid of the toxic people who refuse to do the job the right way would be a huge leap in the right direction.

8. "Why ADP and how ADP shares talent."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Irvine, CA

Pros

ADP treats their employees very well. They reward you well for solid performance. A work life balance is supported. The overall compensation for sales positions is very strong compared to other similar jobs. ADP CARES about training and makes a meaningful attempt to create the best and most well-rounded employees possible. There are many opportunities for advancement if you are willing to work hard and put your time in.

Cons

There is quite a bit of red tape. Change happens slowly. Promotions are sometimes given based on tenure and not necessarily merit. If you are a talented performer, it can be difficult at times to transfer within divisions because management is hesitant to let good talent move to another division. This isn't necessarily their fault, as it would be helpful if senior leadership would incent leaders within each business unit to share talent.

Advice to Management

Incent leadership within business units to share talent. There is an unspoken attempt to keep top talent within the division even if the employee is looking at another division or would be a better fit somewhere else.

Showing 8 of 5,500 reviews