ADP Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
ADP CEO Carlos A. Rodriguez
Carlos A. Rodriguez

1,389 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Work life balance for the majority of the year is excellent (in 416 reviews)

• Able to work from home three days out of the week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance leaves a bit to be desired (in 173 reviews)

• No work life balance and hectic work schedule (in 55 reviews)

"District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in Florham Park, NJ
    Former Employee - District Manager in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at ADP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place for someone new to the job market to get experience-Particularly in sales. Benefits and internal company HR are superb.

Cons

Too many sales people from different departments chasing the same clients, middle management is either really good, or really bad-There is too much of the "Peter Principle" going on here. Lastly the customer service for clients, particularly in payroll is beyond bad, it is inept and embarrassingly absurd in most cases.

Advice to Management

ADP is a good place to work, of course there are some issues, but then again all companies have a few-The one thing that would scare me from a long-term perspective is the total lack of customer service existing clients-It is a easier to keep a client once you have them in the fold than to always being looking for new companies to replace the ones who have fired you. Take note: The landscape is littered with companies that lost sight of this-You are not too big to fail.

2. "District Manager Major Accounts"

Former Employee - Major Accounts District Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Major Accounts District Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at ADP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Comp Plan and salary structure
    Stability as a company
    For the most part, good partnership strategies and incentives
    Fantastic President's Club and Overall Operation
    Known, respected brand

Cons

Technology is way outdated, despite appearances.
    Brand reputation becoming diminished due to poorly handled outsourced customer service, downtime, and breaches.
    Upper management lacks understanding of what's going on in the field.
    Occasional extreme quota hikes/territory reduction for successful reps

3. "District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ADP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, room for growth

Cons

Depends on your territory how well you do

Advice to Management

Nothing

Jun 26, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thanks for the review.

4. "Teledata Representative"

Former Employee - Teledata Representative in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Teledata Representative in Bloomington, MN

I worked at ADP part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of feedback and interaction with mgt

Cons

Not much flexibility or control of schedule

Advice to Management

Allow more flexibility of scheduling for times when the needs arise

Jun 26, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for the review.

"Unbalanced"

Current Employee - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at ADP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm mainly giving this a 3 star review because it is the best payroll company and the people here are awesome however there are a lot of flaws that need to be addressed that just never are ... but anyway in terms of pros

Starting salary is decent
    Uncapped commission
    Really good experience, if you can meet quota here you'll exceed quotas at other companies

Cons

-Your success completely relies on your opportunity
    - if you are a (CPA) centric rep you have an enormous advantage compared to trad (bank) reps (some will disagree but this is fact, even ADP preaches how much easier it is for centric to close business)
    - I don't think there should be centric and trad reps. I think there should be no divider. Everyone should get both banks and CPAs
    - if You aren't a centric and don't have decent CPA's listed to you, it is almost impossible to break a new CPA firm since the vast majority of CPA firms are listed to other reps.
    - in my region I genuinely believe we could cut the Salesforce by a third, and the opportunity would be spread much more evenly and every one will perform better and be happier,
    - tons of INTERNAL competition - I've had a ton of business stolen from me, the internal policies need to be reassessed
    - DM salary raise is barely anything, other payroll companies pay a lot more for their tenured reps
    - training is "meh" - we don't focus at all on the important things that business owners will ask you, you have to learn these things on your own.
    - micromanagement- if at 100% or above, you should not be able to manage your business as you please.

Advice to Management

Hire less, give more opportunity to tenured reps, listen more, reassess internal policies

Jun 19, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for the valuable insights.

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Current Employee - Lead Systems Administrator in Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Lead Systems Administrator in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at ADP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary is on the higher side of the IT industry. One of the best things about ADP is the people. I found this to be true no matter the location around the world and they really care about the clients. The benefit offerings are pretty extensive beyond health, dental, vision and 401K. Some are free like a Discount Program, Real Estate Services, Wellness Program, Employee Assistance Program, Tuition Reimbursement as well as a Knowledge Pay Program, annual flu shot and more. Others are available at a premium such as a legal plan, cancer policy, a, long term disability, long term care and ADP Stock Purchase Plan. Diversity is really communicated and supported and I have found most managers to be very supportive of personal/family issues which are bound to happen.

Cons

ADP is a conservative company who, from a technology standpoint, is always behind. This is a con if you want have or maintain fresh IT skills.

ADP Corporate loves to tout career growth but nearly all management does nothing to support it. It is a frequent complaint heard from colleagues. On top of that, associates receive their annual self-review 4-6 weeks before end of year for current year goals. It's frustrating to be measured every year against goals you didn't have until the year is basically over. Training is near zilch. We are told to use our tuition reimbursement for any training on any new technology we are using or supporting. This includes no training on new software being used internally. It's pushed out and you figure it out on your own or with help from your team. Like probably most employers, documentation is one of the last considerations by Engineers.

The worst thing about ADP is the unreasonable workload. All that I work with will agree you can't keep up with even the 'needs' regardless of how many hours you work. Most are on salary and their seems to be an understanding you should work until it's done. Most fall into that trap and do 60-70 hours/week.

Advice to Management

Quicken the pace to getting off older technology toward smarter, safer and more efficient platforms and infrastructure . More importantly, help your associates and in turn your clients, by improving work/life balance.

Jun 12, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for the comprehensive review of your ADP experience. We appreciate your insights and will share with our HR teams.

7. "Excellent Team Dynamic"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at ADP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quiet atmosphere, professional with unlimited snacks and drinks available.

Cons

Management finds it difficult to commit to decisions.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to test new ideas and develop strategies that can be proven to make the company money.

Jun 19, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for the positive review and feedback.

"Overall a good company . There are areas of improvement"

Current Employee - Tech App in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Tech App in Maitland, FL

I have been working at ADP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best reason to work there the push to improve and drive career path. Current management doesnt dictate growth . Through networking other individuals can obtain their own perception of you

Cons

Lack of communication, , favoritism, politics, non ethical behavior through favoritism . Nothing is in confidential with management , through favoritism information will be disclosed to non management which causes lack of trust. Bias behavior

Advice to Management

Give everyone a equal opportunity, listen and be receptive to feedback from employees . It should not be a one way streak. Employees should be able to feel comfortable to provide honest feedback without retaliation. Obtain your own perception of individuals dont assume or go based off of what others say about employees

May 31, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for the review and rating.

"Alright pay but no path for career growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at ADP (More than a year)

Pros

There is decent pay in comparison to similar roles in new jersey. Housing in the area is decently affordable. Not much else to say.

Cons

There is absolutely no career guidance set in place. The company is extremely middle management heavy and they seem to only hire directors and above.

Advice to Management

Please set in place career paths for lower level employees. Think of growth plans for companies such as Citi or JPM. It should be either up or out.

Jun 6, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for the honest and clear review of ADP. As a current employee you can use the myCareer section of the ADP portal to push your career forward and come up with an action plan with your ... More

10. "Human Capital Manager"

Current Employee - HRBP in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - HRBP in Houston, TX

I have been working at ADP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company; fluid movement; growth opportunities

Cons

Small merit increases; needs more structure; a lot of change.

Advice to Management

Put more time into employees and their development. Get employee buy in on changes.

Jun 6, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for the feedback and rating of the ADP Houston location.

Showing 1,389 of 5,192 reviews