ADP Reviews | Glassdoor

ADP CEO Carlos A. Rodriguez
Carlos A. Rodriguez
2,237 Ratings

5,007 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Work life balance for the majority of the year is excellent (in 416 reviews)

• Able to work from home three days out of the week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance leaves a bit to be desired (in 173 reviews)

• No work life balance and hectic work schedule (in 55 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I absolutely love this company."

Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at ADP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great structure! The company culture is phenomenal. You are welcomed, supported and appreciated for what you do. There are great benefits and flexible hours as well!

Cons

I literally can't think of any other than its extremely busy during year end so you can't go on vacation Nov-Feb

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I love that it's not micromanagement and that the managers check in constantly to see how I AM doing, not my work, but me. There's nothing but support from them!

ADP Response

Oct 5, 2016 – Project Specialist

Wow - thank you for this fantastic review :) - we couldn't agree more. Thanks for being a part of the team and bringing excellence everyday. #workhappy

2. "I LOVE MY JOB AT ADP!"

Current Employee - Communication Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Communication Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

They offer great compensation, paired with a fun, FLEXIBLE, progressive, challenging work environment. ADP offers great benefits, as well as many other fun activities that boost morale. My particular department has awesome management, and our team members work very well together. I love being a salaried employee, so that I can work more during the busy season, and work less during the slow season. We are given home access to the network, so if needed, I can work from home if necessary.

Cons

The hiring process is takes a long time, and when you get hired, the new hire training isn't that great. You end up being bored for a long time because no one else has time to help you learn the ropes. (Although, once you figure out what you're doing the job is GREAT!)

Also, my department doesn't offer part-time positions or full-time telecommuting options, both of which I am very interested in.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward!

3. "Excellent Employer of Choice"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant

Pros

ADP is a stable employer and during my 8 years with them there have been no lay offs. I also have been amazed at the investment they have in employee training. I have never worked anywhere that has provided as much training as they do.

Cons

ADP expects long hours from their employees and is terrible for pay raises. The running joke is you have to quit and return to ADP if you want to be compensated like a new employee with no experience.

Advice to Management

Continue doing business in a conservative, but growth oriented fashion. It has been a great business plan to date and I hope it continues.

4. "Great Place to work - lower starting pay"

Current Employee - Major Accounts District Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Major Accounts District Manager in Newark, NJ

Pros

Training and Stability are critical at ADP and a great part of what working here is all about

Cons

Lower than average payscale, good ol boys network

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more

5. "ADP is a great place to work if you can put up with some red tape issues."

Current Employee - Lead Technical Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Technical Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They really care about their employees. The benefits are pretty good and ADP still offers a pension plan which is almost unheard of these days. ADP has an "Employer of Choice" initiative and they track gallup surveys to know where they are doing well and where they need improvement. I have found that ADP does a great job of listening to my ideas and that makes me feel encouraged and feel like I'm really helping the company grow. There are many opportunities within ADP once you have established yourself with good work ethic and if you are well rounded you have even greater opportunities.

Cons

There is a lot of red tape and so it's difficult to cut through at times. I think this is normal for large corporations though.

Advice to Management

Allow different teams across the company to learn more about the tools and processes and select those that work to be encouraged across all of ADP.

6. "ADP pays well, provides great benefits and offers employment security"

Current Employee - Director in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros

Good pay, great benefits and stable from a job security perspective. ADP has a policy of moving people around into different positions until a role they can excel at can be found. The benefits package and menu format is amongst the best I have seen in over 25 years in the workplace.

Cons

Large corporate structure makes it difficult to identify specific individuals responsible for needs outside of the ordinary work flow processes. If everything is standard operating procedure, this does not seem like a problem, but when software must be customized or adjusted to suit the specific needs of a client, or an unusual situation occurs, it can be difficult to find a Go To person for guidance.

Advice to Management

Software development time needs to be improved by such a large magnitude that a complete rethink of how applications are developed should be implemented. Speed to market is a critical competency in order to remain competitive.

"Glad I was able to retire when I did"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

Pros

ADP has good policies in place for compensation, opportunities for growth within and outside of the workplace, continuing education, and other benefits. They continue to try improving communications and morale with workplace tools such as annual surveys.

Cons

In recent years, the company has consolidated many positions and functions, in order to save money and standardize services. Jobs have gone from allowing some individuality to fairly strictly regimented.
    This used to be a company that stressed "world class service", but now, from what I've heard, when associates try to give clients world class service, they sometimes get negatively reviewed by their manager for going beyond their job description. This is not only bad for the clients, but it really hurts the morale of the best employees.

Advice to Management

Reward world class service, don't punish those who want to do the best job for the client.

"ADP is #1 for a reason. Overall it is a well run company who recognizes their # asset is their people."

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you are in sales, your pay is a direct result of your effort.

Cons

We are becoming a victim of our own success. We are so far ahead of our competitors in terms of number of clients that they can always find a few unhappy clients and make it seem like there are many issues, when in reality there are many more happy clients than unhappy ones. When you're number one everyone is gunning for you, but that also makes us better.

Advice to Management

Keep it focused on meeting the market and customer needs. Continue breaking down the seams across our business divisions and focused on the one ADP initiative.

"In 20 years in the sales industry I've never found a better company to work for...they truly lead while others follow."

Current Employee - Retail Solutions Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Solutions Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros

ADP Dealer Services is about helping clients help themselves to make money and account for it properly. We can truly deliver what we sell. With recent acquisitions and product developments, no other automotive technology provider can come close to what we offer. Plus, ADP only hires the truly professional and passionate sales reps...we are about sales!

Cons

It's a big company so some things don't move as fast as they do in smaller companies. Maybe that's why we are still one of the top 5 companies in the united states with at AAA credit rating!

Advice to Management

Remember that sometimes it's the look and feel of the application that get's the attention. Ask our dealers who DIDN'T buy from us, why they bought something else...it's never price, it's always something we've missed.

10. "Hard working, ethical, motivated and talented associates will enjoy growth and opportunities for advancement at ADP."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros

High Performance is rewarded and highly valued. Many training and development programs are offered with excellent on line tools and other blended learning. The senior executives and management I am exposed to possess a great deal of integrity and are as hard working as the associates. If you look at the tenure of associates it is very high and I think that tells the story that its a great place to build your career.

Cons

There are great expectations for high performance and so if you are willing to work hard and focus on growing the business and developing your talent and help develop others talent it is very rewarding. However if you do not want to work hard or just want to skate by, nd are not a team player you wouldn't enjoy working here. ADP does expect a lot of their associates. If you want a 9 to 5 job, this is not the place for you. If you want to build a rewarding career, then you can find it here if you are willing to put in the effort required.

Advice to Management

Do not loose focus on training and development and understand how important it is to surround yourself with great employees.

Showing 5,007 of 5,191 reviews