ADT Security Services Residential Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 13, 2019

Found 146 reviews

2.4
Jim DeVries

"I would work for them again if I hadn't started my own business"

Former Employee - Residential Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I don't know if it was just the people that I worked for, but I absolutely loved working for this company. I have never worked with a better group of people than the South office in Houston Texas.

Cons

I really don't have anything negative to say about the company

Advice to Management

I would make the prices a little more competitive, to give your sales rep a fighting chance when in the field.

ADT Security Services2018-03-29

March 30, 2018Talent Acquisition Program Coordinator

Thank you for your review!

"Decent Earning Potential/A lot of Door Knocking"

Current Employee - Residential Sales Representative in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent commission plan. ADT gives you the tools you need to sell as well as mileage and cell plan reimbursement. Also a great 1st year bonus program.

Cons

A lot of door knocking and required phone time. Must be self-motivated.

ADT Security Services2019-08-13

"Good experience, must find your own sales"

Former Employee - Residential Sales Representative in Wallingford, CT

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good training, the managers care about your success, you aren't terribly micromanaged

Cons

The gas allowance is pitiful and doesn't come close to meeting your expenses or wear and tear on your car. There is no base salary so every month you start from $0 or worse if any of your customers have cancelled.

Advice to Management

Pay a fair gasoline allowance

ADT Security Services2019-01-08

January 14, 2019

We’re sorry to hear of your disappointment with the pay/benefits ADT offers. We’re always looking to improve our offerings to our employees as we consider our employees to be our greatest asset.

4. "Residential Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Residential Sales Representative in Concord, CA

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company reputation speaks for itself

Cons

Decreasing amount of opportunity and support

ADT Security Services2018-07-17

"Inaccurate Job Description"

Former Employee - Residential Sales Representative

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Set your own schedule.

Cons

Training Wages are terrible, and not nearly enough to live off of. They promise you leads but the leads are terrible. Manager told me I would not be going door to door, yet that's what I spent the majority of my time doing. You put a lot of miles on your car and the car allowance is pathetic. Terrible experience.

Advice to Management

Make your managers actually go out on calls once the sales reps are able to run company appointments. Most people in my training class had gone out on 5+ appointments before training was over, yet in our office we did not go on one. I never went to an appointment with my manager, which was rather aggravating and the compensation plan is terrible. No wonder there is such a quick turnover rate with residential sales reps.

ADT Security Services2018-01-01

January 5, 2018Talent Acquisition Program Coordinator

Thank you for leaving your honest review. Our employees' happiness is always top-of-mind, and we are sorry to hear your experience did not meet your initial expectations.

"Be prepared to work!"

Current Employee - Residential Sales Representative

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You have unlimited income potential, you can control your own schedule more than most jobs, fun/exciting job being out in the field instead if sitting behind a desk, truly a job where you help others, great benefits

Cons

Very high if not unreal expectations Manager breathing down your neck Highs and lows until you have a very stable book of business you will sometimes get very low paychecks and even if you are well established sometimes people just arent buying Company aims to sale over the phone before lead is given to you

Advice to Management

Understand most company driven leads arent as good as they look

ADT Security Services2017-10-24

November 1, 2017Talent Acquisition Program Coordinator

Thank you for leaving your honest review. Our employees' happiness is always top-of-mind, and we are sorry to hear your experience is not meeting your initial expectations.

"Huge turnover rate, no salary, avoid like the plague. Daily scare tactics from unprofessional management."

Current Employee - Residential Sales Representative in Concord, CA

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have good brand identity. Open ended earning but you must stand your ground and run your own territory. 401k is a deterrent that no one uses as monthly income is very spotty as you can’t really use it.

Cons

Everything really. Poor benefits, you have to pay for medical on your own. They treat you like you’re on call 24/7 , without a salary.

Advice to Management

Push for base salaries for reps to attain a higher level of sales reps. Customers hate seeing different faces every 6 months when they quit as they cannot afford to do this job. The current business model is fit for 18 year olds taking on their 1st sales jobs. You will not motivate reps by constantly throwing their job in their face. This ship is sinking like Brinks and Vivant.

ADT Security Services2017-10-26

"Residential Sales"

Former Employee - Residential Sales Representative in Springfield, VA

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

As an outdoor sales person, your hours are mostly your own. There may be some mandatory meetings depending on your team, but for the most part you can make your own schedule. The commission percentage was pretty decent and uncapped, and the training salary was also a nice touch. You do get some company provided sales appointments. If you are not closing sales, I think they start giving you fewer leads but I'm not sure....

Cons

When the training salary runs out, you're completely reliant on commission so you'll need to have really mastered sales by that point. I think it lasts for 3 months or so, and it gets smaller each paycheck with the assumption that you are now making more and more in commission. The salary that you are quoted in the interview/your hiring paperwork is based on the assumption that you always meet the minimum quota for the...

Advice to Management

I personally think the time of the outdoor salesman is coming to an end. So many people would prefer to purchase online or over the phone. If ADT is tied to this business model, I think they're going to need to rethink the compensation for sales staff in the future.

ADT Security Services2017-06-02

"80% self generated business, You Either have it or you don't."

Former Employee - Residential Sales Representative in Spokane, WA

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's what you make out of it. Flexible hours if you do it right. People in the office seemed to be honest and actually care about customers. Get good enough and you can sell directly over the phone instead of putting miles on your car.

Cons

Constantly have to keep the pipeline full. This isn't a job you will start immediately making tons of money at. You can't take your foot off the gas if you want to consistently make money here. certainly other sales jobs out there where you do a fraction of the leg work and can make double the money. If you aren't good over the phone, cold calling, being able to get your foot in the door to set appointments to strangers,...

Advice to Management

Way too big of an emphasis on self generated leads and zero emphasis on closing company leads. Reps would have 10 self generated leads but only sell 1 out of 17 company leads yet they would be praised for how good they were doing. Reps with 14 out of 17 company leads sold but had only 3 self generated leads would be the ones getting talked to in the managers office for lack of performance. Kinda seems backwards

ADT Security Services2017-05-11
  10. "Field Sales"

Current Employee - Residential Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility to manage your work routine with your life routine. Good opportunity to manage your business and the complete sales cycle

Cons

An existing inside sales force has the ability to undercut field sales pricing.

ADT Security Services2017-04-11