ADT Security Services Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ADT Security Services CEO Tim Whall
Tim Whall

Pros
  • Good money, good benefits, fun environment (in 121 reviews)

• great company great benefits and willing to be patient (in 74 reviews)

1. "Custom Home Sales"

Former Employee - Custom Homes Sales Representative in Totowa, NJ
    Former Employee - Custom Homes Sales Representative in Totowa, NJ

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good but you work at it and you earn every penny you get. Hours are flexible enough for you to have a pretty good work/life balance

Cons

The Management at the local level was horrific. Any time there was a customer issue that required Management attention, they would simply stick their head in the sand and in most cases make a bad situation worse than it needed to be. Poor combination of Commissioned only Sales Reps working with Salaried Support & Management so there is not the same sense of urgency to get the work completed. If a job doesn't go in, the Sales Reps give back their money. Everyone else still cashes their check.

Advice to Management

My advice is for Upper Management to get more involved on the local level to see what's actually going on with your most important asset which is the customer facing employees. The Totowa, NJ office is run like Organized Crime.

May 22, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for leaving your review about ADT's management. We are very sorry to hear of your experience. We strive to provide our employees with an environment where they feel heard. If you would be ... More

2. "FSC representative"

Former Employee - FSC in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - FSC in Irving, TX

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none - you have a job

Cons

micro management- totally incompetent CEO, and junior high school managers.

Advice to Management

hire some managers - they are all reading from script - stand up for employees

May 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for leaving your review. We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with ADT's management. Our employees' happiness is always top-of-mind, and we are sorry to hear your experience did not ... More

3. "Residential installation technician"

Former Employee - Residential Installation Technician in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Residential Installation Technician in Tacoma, WA

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The friends you could make it ADT are the only pros at that job

Cons

immature system is horrible for management of the accounts are horrible forcing technicians to sell equipment on the job should be installation antiquated inventory system no accountability in their inventory system Poor response when registering a complaint with human resources do you feel like no one is listening to you if you do have a complaint nothing is done tech-support nonexistent someone reading from a book on how to do something is no help at all

Advice to Management

Listen to your technicians treat them with more respect get rid of the people who are doing bargaining as they think they can replace us with no problem give some form of feedback to the managers and supervisors from the technicians for they can track their attitude towards a text especially people who are in corporate level and above when this was when this was Brinks I wants had the opportunity to give feedback to the vice president will it became ADT I've never even met the vice president nor the regional directors or were able to give feedback to them completely out of touch with the technicians and the workers the people that make the system go

5. "Not good"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Wyoming, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Wyoming, MI

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good if u can deal.

Cons

Management was poor - too big of a company!

Advice to Management

Be proactive, not reactive!

"ADT//Protection One - DO NOT WORK HERE!!"

Former Employee - Agent in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Agent in Knoxville, TN

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only pro is the friends that I made in the decade that I worked there. The cafeteria was a plus, too.

Cons

When it was Brinks Security, it was a FANTASTIC company to work for!! No complaints whatsoever. Then ADT bought Brinks. A few things changed, but it was still a good place to work. Then...Protection One and Apollo Group bought ADT. That's when things got bad. It was if they trained the managers to turn their backs on their employees and beat them down every chance they got. They took micromanaging to an entirely new level. They had peers acting as glorified hall monitors to chase someone down if they logged off their phones in between breaks just to go to the restroom. These hall monitors would chase you down and tell you that you can't be off the phone at that time, regardless of the reason. It didn't matter if all you had to do was go pee or if you needed to vomit because you were sick to your stomach. You have to be on that phone. Heaven forbid you to take care of bodily functions beyond your control. Mind you, these hall monitors were peers and were not on the phones because they were being made to babysit ADULTS. Instead of pinpointing the employees that were abusing logging off the phones, they penalized EVERYONE. Their reason...they can't discriminate. Give me a break.

When you would have your one on one weekly review with your direct manager, it didn't matter how exemplary the call was, you were given Meets Expectations. Just mediocrity.

All the managers want to do is sit around and gossip. They do NOT know the procedures of the job. When they had a question about an account, they came to their subordinates for answers. Managers are supposed to know the jobs that their employees do.

You've got married female managers that spend their one on one time with their employees talking about how HOT certain guys are and about all their sexual conquests. However, she is a married woman. What an awesome team building to talk to your employees about.

Then this year they decided to do a Market Value Study to make sure that they were paying employees what they are worth. Well this was just a total joke. I spent over ten years there and my merit raises totaled $5.65 over TEN YEARS!! Fifty six cents a year on the average.
    Then with this market value study, they were giving people raises that gave them a higher hourly rate than the tenured employees and these folks had been there a fraction of the time!! The tenured employees who didn't get these raises were told it was because they were already in the right range. Yet, they bumped up some employees to where they were making in excess of $1 more an hour than the long time employees.

Management only promotes the ones that are either on their fantasy football team or the ones that probably can't get off their knees when they are in the presence of a manager.

They have lost a minimum of 5+ tenured employees in the last month.

There were a lot of long time employees that were on anxiety meds, heart meds, etc. Once they left, guess what? They were able to come off all those medications. ADT will literally kill you or make you wish you were dead!!

IF YOU VALUE YOUR HEALTH, SANITY, AND DO NOT WANT TO BE BEATEN DOWN LIKE A DOG, DO NOT WORK AT ADT!!! You have been warned!!

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of your butts, stop kissing the Unit Managers butts, and treat the employees like the human beings that they are!!

Apr 19, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

We are sorry to hear about your experience but appreciate you voicing your concern about ADT's management. We strive to provide our employees with an environment where they feel heard. If you would ... More

7. "Install tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you can call it a pro 55 to 60 hours a week average

Cons

There inventory system is antiquated they still use paper and I have no control of their inventory you're required to sell as a technician instead of doing your job do not sell enough product you will be reprimanded and/or fired

Advice to Management

Fire everyone above the manager level and above especially people in inventory control any manager from ADT that it's been there 10 years should be removed trying go with the philosophy of Broadview fire all managers That were not from Broadview remove the people that came from Tyco

"Unprofessional and Dishonest"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pros are that you can possibly save someone's life. There used to be many more pros, but once management changed they all disappeared.

Cons

Management sits and gossips about each other and agents on the floor. Promotions are based solely on who you are friends with inside and outside of work. New hire agents are getting hired in at equal or higher pay than employees that have been there for years. The same management that is gossiping decides what you merit increase is. As a female, I had scored a highly effective on my annual review and wasn't on any corrective actions, but still received a lower merit increase than several men in my department who did not perform as well and were on correctives. They micromanage to the point that you have to ask permission to log off the phone to go use the restroom, even then the floor monitor follows you to the bathroom sometimes. They lie about all changes and usually don't tell you about policy changes until after they are in effect.

Advice to Management

Certifications mean nothing in regards to measuring or holding team managers accountable. The dishonesty and unprofessionalism runs so high that I would send someone in to see what is happening without management knowing who they are. Not as unbelievable as undercover boss, but more like 60 Days In. If you want to produce great numbers, LCW, and awesome customer service, then you need to go back and take some lessons from Brinks. They invested and cared about their employees. If you treat your employees well, they will want to do well for you. Quit blowing money on mini-fridges and Kureigs for our unit managers and take care of your people. And remember the core values!

Apr 17, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review, as we take these reviews very seriously. We’re very sorry to hear about your experience. At ADT, we’re an equal opportunity employer and we pride ourselves on creating ... More

"Layoffs Just Beginning"

Former Employee - IT Network Engineer in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - IT Network Engineer in Knoxville, TN

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

During my time of employment, I liked my job and I really don't have any seriously bad things to say. However, it always concerned me that the company would gain 1 million new customers a year AND lose 1 million current customers a year. Not sure how long company will last at that rate of customer dissatisfaction

Cons

Layoffs are beginning now that the company has merged with ProtectionOne. I was in the first round of layoffs with absolutely no indication this would happen and AFTER I was told there would be no layoffs (I know, typical lie from a company after a merger). Left with nothing and was laid off over the telephone. Was told I would get a small severance of which I have yet to see anything. I have contacted company over and over and they will not return calls. They basically screwed over 200 people big-time and have left many of us financially in serious trouble. I know layoffs happen -- it's happened to me before in my industry -- but I've never had a company conduct layoffs in such a shoddy fashion and offering zero support after. Not cool.

Advice to Management

Many in management have already been laid off so there isn't anyone to tell anything to. Those who are left are concerned about their own jobs. Advice: Create an HR department that actually services its employees. Put the "human" in Human Resources.

Apr 4, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

We are very sorry to hear of your negative experience. If you would be interested in providing us more information related to your concern, please email recruiting@ADT.com with your name/location and ... More

10. "Small Business Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free coffee, convenient location for my commute

Cons

dishonest management, lied to in interview, no possibility of ethically succeeding. If you have "flexible" morals, you might succeed. I really wish I had never gone there. They have over 100% turnover in the sales team, know it, and don't care. Don't expect any support or training and go in with your "eyes open"

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone with ethics or bring in a CEO who gives a damn

Apr 10, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for leaving a review about ADT's management. Our employees' happiness is always top-of-mind, and we are sorry to hear your experience did not meet your initial expectations.

11. "Unprofessional and illogical management"

Former Contractor - Senior UI Developer in Irving, TX
    Former Contractor - Senior UI Developer in Irving, TX

I worked at ADT Security Services as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Full time employees seem to have it made.. take days off whenever you want.. little accountability.. I dont really have any good feedback for contractors.

Cons

Leaders have been made just because of them being there longer not due to performance or management skills. Promises are made to upper management which are not achievable and when the heat is on they let go of contractors. They expect you to not only do your daily tasks but take on other tasks as well as extra tasks that come up and poorly planned sprint tasks which take more hours than your "lead" estimated. When you go to your lead with any questions he has to stop his other tasks such as searching for cars, homes, or just browsing the web to help you.. most of the time the answer is "i dont know, figure it out" The team I worked with is MyADT and Chudly.. more specifically this is the UI portion of that team which upper management definitely needs to take a look at because they can be doing ALOT better if it was led differently. Management blindly listens to whatever the one LEAD has to say.. overall, this was a horrible experience and very unprofessional. Full time employees make the dumbest excuses to not come into the office and to work from home.. one excuse was "i got poked in my eye" this was from my own lead. he literally took about 3 days off because of that.

Advice to Management

Look at what the teams are doing and maybe carefully choose your leads, I came from leading a 100 developer team and know how to engage and keep overall team spirit.. I was very disappointed with how poor the leads are here.. or should I say the lead that I had.. other team leads seem to be ok from where I observed.

Showing 380 of 1,633 reviews