ADT Security Services Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ADT Security Services CEO Tim Whall
Tim Whall

Pros
  • Good money, good benefits, fun environment (in 119 reviews)

• great company great benefits and willing to be patient (in 73 reviews)

1. "Not good"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Wyoming, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Wyoming, MI

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good if u can deal.

Cons

Management was poor - too big of a company!

Advice to Management

Be proactive, not reactive!

2. "Install tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you can call it a pro 55 to 60 hours a week average

Cons

There inventory system is antiquated they still use paper and I have no control of their inventory you're required to sell as a technician instead of doing your job do not sell enough product you will be reprimanded and/or fired

Advice to Management

Fire everyone above the manager level and above especially people in inventory control any manager from ADT that it's been there 10 years should be removed trying go with the philosophy of Broadview fire all managers That were not from Broadview remove the people that came from Tyco

"ADT//Protection One - DO NOT WORK HERE!!"

Former Employee - Agent in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Agent in Knoxville, TN

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only pro is the friends that I made in the decade that I worked there. The cafeteria was a plus, too.

Cons

When it was Brinks Security, it was a FANTASTIC company to work for!! No complaints whatsoever. Then ADT bought Brinks. A few things changed, but it was still a good place to work. Then...Protection One and Apollo Group bought ADT. That's when things got bad. It was if they trained the managers to turn their backs on their employees and beat them down every chance they got. They took micromanaging to an entirely new level. They had peers acting as glorified hall monitors to chase someone down if they logged off their phones in between breaks just to go to the restroom. These hall monitors would chase you down and tell you that you can't be off the phone at that time, regardless of the reason. It didn't matter if all you had to do was go pee or if you needed to vomit because you were sick to your stomach. You have to be on that phone. Heaven forbid you to take care of bodily functions beyond your control. Mind you, these hall monitors were peers and were not on the phones because they were being made to babysit ADULTS. Instead of pinpointing the employees that were abusing logging off the phones, they penalized EVERYONE. Their reason...they can't discriminate. Give me a break.

When you would have your one on one weekly review with your direct manager, it didn't matter how exemplary the call was, you were given Meets Expectations. Just mediocrity.

All the managers want to do is sit around and gossip. They do NOT know the procedures of the job. When they had a question about an account, they came to their subordinates for answers. Managers are supposed to know the jobs that their employees do.

You've got married female managers that spend their one on one time with their employees talking about how HOT certain guys are and about all their sexual conquests. However, she is a married woman. What an awesome team building to talk to your employees about.

Then this year they decided to do a Market Value Study to make sure that they were paying employees what they are worth. Well this was just a total joke. I spent over ten years there and my merit raises totaled $5.65 over TEN YEARS!! Fifty six cents a year on the average.
    Then with this market value study, they were giving people raises that gave them a higher hourly rate than the tenured employees and these folks had been there a fraction of the time!! The tenured employees who didn't get these raises were told it was because they were already in the right range. Yet, they bumped up some employees to where they were making in excess of $1 more an hour than the long time employees.

Management only promotes the ones that are either on their fantasy football team or the ones that probably can't get off their knees when they are in the presence of a manager.

They have lost a minimum of 5+ tenured employees in the last month.

There were a lot of long time employees that were on anxiety meds, heart meds, etc. Once they left, guess what? They were able to come off all those medications. ADT will literally kill you or make you wish you were dead!!

IF YOU VALUE YOUR HEALTH, SANITY, AND DO NOT WANT TO BE BEATEN DOWN LIKE A DOG, DO NOT WORK AT ADT!!! You have been warned!!

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of your butts, stop kissing the Unit Managers butts, and treat the employees like the human beings that they are!!

Apr 19, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

We are sorry to hear about your experience but appreciate you voicing your concern about ADT's management. We strive to provide our employees with an environment where they feel heard. If you would ... More

"Unprofessional and Dishonest"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pros are that you can possibly save someone's life. There used to be many more pros, but once management changed they all disappeared.

Cons

Management sits and gossips about each other and agents on the floor. Promotions are based solely on who you are friends with inside and outside of work. New hire agents are getting hired in at equal or higher pay than employees that have been there for years. The same management that is gossiping decides what you merit increase is. As a female, I had scored a highly effective on my annual review and wasn't on any corrective actions, but still received a lower merit increase than several men in my department who did not perform as well and were on correctives. They micromanage to the point that you have to ask permission to log off the phone to go use the restroom, even then the floor monitor follows you to the bathroom sometimes. They lie about all changes and usually don't tell you about policy changes until after they are in effect.

Advice to Management

Certifications mean nothing in regards to measuring or holding team managers accountable. The dishonesty and unprofessionalism runs so high that I would send someone in to see what is happening without management knowing who they are. Not as unbelievable as undercover boss, but more like 60 Days In. If you want to produce great numbers, LCW, and awesome customer service, then you need to go back and take some lessons from Brinks. They invested and cared about their employees. If you treat your employees well, they will want to do well for you. Quit blowing money on mini-fridges and Kureigs for our unit managers and take care of your people. And remember the core values!

Apr 17, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review, as we take these reviews very seriously. We’re very sorry to hear about your experience. At ADT, we’re an equal opportunity employer and we pride ourselves on creating ... More

"Layoffs Just Beginning"

Former Employee - IT Network Engineer in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - IT Network Engineer in Knoxville, TN

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

During my time of employment, I liked my job and I really don't have any seriously bad things to say. However, it always concerned me that the company would gain 1 million new customers a year AND lose 1 million current customers a year. Not sure how long company will last at that rate of customer dissatisfaction

Cons

Layoffs are beginning now that the company has merged with ProtectionOne. I was in the first round of layoffs with absolutely no indication this would happen and AFTER I was told there would be no layoffs (I know, typical lie from a company after a merger). Left with nothing and was laid off over the telephone. Was told I would get a small severance of which I have yet to see anything. I have contacted company over and over and they will not return calls. They basically screwed over 200 people big-time and have left many of us financially in serious trouble. I know layoffs happen -- it's happened to me before in my industry -- but I've never had a company conduct layoffs in such a shoddy fashion and offering zero support after. Not cool.

Advice to Management

Many in management have already been laid off so there isn't anyone to tell anything to. Those who are left are concerned about their own jobs. Advice: Create an HR department that actually services its employees. Put the "human" in Human Resources.

Apr 4, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

We are very sorry to hear of your negative experience. If you would be interested in providing us more information related to your concern, please email recruiting@ADT.com with your name/location and ... More

7. "Small Business Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free coffee, convenient location for my commute

Cons

dishonest management, lied to in interview, no possibility of ethically succeeding. If you have "flexible" morals, you might succeed. I really wish I had never gone there. They have over 100% turnover in the sales team, know it, and don't care. Don't expect any support or training and go in with your "eyes open"

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone with ethics or bring in a CEO who gives a damn

Apr 10, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for leaving a review about ADT's management. Our employees' happiness is always top-of-mind, and we are sorry to hear your experience did not meet your initial expectations.

8. "Unprofessional and illogical management"

Former Contractor - Senior UI Developer in Irving, TX
    Former Contractor - Senior UI Developer in Irving, TX

I worked at ADT Security Services as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Full time employees seem to have it made.. take days off whenever you want.. little accountability.. I dont really have any good feedback for contractors.

Cons

Leaders have been made just because of them being there longer not due to performance or management skills. Promises are made to upper management which are not achievable and when the heat is on they let go of contractors. They expect you to not only do your daily tasks but take on other tasks as well as extra tasks that come up and poorly planned sprint tasks which take more hours than your "lead" estimated. When you go to your lead with any questions he has to stop his other tasks such as searching for cars, homes, or just browsing the web to help you.. most of the time the answer is "i dont know, figure it out" The team I worked with is MyADT and Chudly.. more specifically this is the UI portion of that team which upper management definitely needs to take a look at because they can be doing ALOT better if it was led differently. Management blindly listens to whatever the one LEAD has to say.. overall, this was a horrible experience and very unprofessional. Full time employees make the dumbest excuses to not come into the office and to work from home.. one excuse was "i got poked in my eye" this was from my own lead. he literally took about 3 days off because of that.

Advice to Management

Look at what the teams are doing and maybe carefully choose your leads, I came from leading a 100 developer team and know how to engage and keep overall team spirit.. I was very disappointed with how poor the leads are here.. or should I say the lead that I had.. other team leads seem to be ok from where I observed.

"Management is unprofessional"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Set your own schedule, Time off when you need it, Vehicle allowance

Cons

Wear and tear and your car, phone allowance too low, health benefits not good

Advice to Management

Learn to talk professionally to your employees and listen to the bad Yelp reviews from your customers instead of calling them idiots in staff meetings.

Mar 29, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

We’re sorry to hear of your disappointment with the benefits ADT offers, as well as ADT's management. Our employees are very valuable to us, and we're always looking to make improvements as a company ... More

"ADT was bought out by Protection 1 now everything is screwed up!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of the job is benefits and that is not all that good due to the merger.

Cons

Poor Management, Extreme Micromanging, %100 comission if you have a family to feed please don't work here the managers will starve you with the leads and force you to knock doors. There is no room for advancement. Manager don't make you feel important or apart of a team more like a robot. All the managers do is play around in each other offices and always claiming they are in a meeting or on a conference call. Overall the culture has changed since the merger and if you don't want high blood pressure or unbareable stress levels STAY AWAY! Oh yeah the only time managers approve anything is when they are under fire for numbers

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human and not robots. Make sure you are hiring mangers that can perform the role as a managers and not hiring them because of a outside relationship you have with them!

Mar 29, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for writing your honest review. Our ADT employees are very valuable to us, and we're always looking to make improvements as a company and as an employer. To help ensure personal and ... More

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Morrisville, NC

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Day begins st 9am, free coffee, and nice facility

Cons

Poor pay, poor leads to call, and wear and tear on vehicle

Advice to Management

Have managers to tell the truth about the job during the interview process.

Mar 21, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for leaving your review. Our employees' happiness is always top-of-mind, and we are sorry to hear your experience did not meet your initial expectations.

Showing 377 of 1,612 reviews