ADT Security Services Small Business Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ADT Security Services CEO Tim Whall
Tim Whall

Pros
  • Good money, good benefits, fun environment (in 117 reviews)

• great company great benefits and willing to be patient (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work life balance which makes like difficult for a single parent (in 35 reviews)

• Created more busy work that didnt help sales or sales reps (in 73 reviews)

"Small Business Sales"

Current Employee - Small Business Sales Representative

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, no supervision or support

Cons

Very frustrating trying to learn the equipment and successful sales strategies with out senior rep or management support. Operations also does not support reps in obtaining new business.Tech time will also be hardly available for new rep Installs.

Advice to Management

Give senior reps incentive to mentor and develop new hires in locales lacking sales managers and operations personnel. Too much tech knowledge is required for reps to learn on their own without support locally. Texting and phone calls to management irritating to customers in meetings with reps.

"small business sales"

Current Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

base salary, steady job, nice people

Cons

weak commission, this is not a sales job, you'll only be setting appointments for sales reps and doing disconnections

Advice to Management

change the title from sales to qualifying.

Jan 3, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for leaving your honest review. Our employees' happiness is always top-of-mind, and we are sorry to hear your experience is not meeting your initial expectations.

3. "A Disappointment"

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at ADT Security Services (Less than a year)

Pros

lots of great products and ideas

Cons

not much product training for salespeople--a lot of sales 101, but nt enough product and hands on
    techs need to learn technology, not just burglar alarms to support sales

Advice to Management

pay a base salary to outside commercial reps so they can afford to go down the road and find more business for you. Lead them with support instead of daily fear tactics

"Good company, bad managament"

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company offered incentives for you at every possible turn

Cons

Management was horrible. He didn't take the time to develop anyone or show them the "proper" way to do things in ADT

Advice to Management

Don't allow a manager to run multiple offices, it didn't work.

Nov 11, 2016 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for leaving an honest review about ADT's management. We strive to provide our employees with an environment where they feel heard. If you would be interested in providing us more ... More

"It's like selling vacuum cleaners door to door in the 1980s"

Current Employee - Small Business Sales Representative

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, lots of freedom in planning your day.

Cons

To sum it up...you will be handed an ipad and told to hit an arbitrary number and then left on your own until you starve.

Where do I start. I have over 20 years of sales experience before ADT and I am not really sure anyone runs this company. It's a complete mess. Every manager has their own little fiefdom, there is no real structure or plan, everyone kinda just makes it up as they go. There is no coordination between departments and most of the time it's outright war.

When I started the best advice I got was from an older rep who said "listen..no one here cares about you and no one is going to help you". He was spot on. Training amounts to a slap on the behind and a "Go get em Tiger". If you have a question google is a far better resource than the company itself. Management is annoyed that you bothered them with a question, or simply don't know the answer themselves. Even simple things like product guides and user manuals seem out of their ability to provide. For example I had to download the feature guide for the Pulse system from the internet because no one on my team could find or email me one.

You can never get a straight answer out of anyone.

100% Commission is brutal!
    To make it worse you don't get paid until the job is installed. This means you can blow away your sales goals and still starve. You will go weeks if not months without any money just waiting on installs so you better plan ahead. I have lost countless bonuses because a tech didn't bother to turn in the paperwork until a few days later, or had to go back, or simply didn't "feel like" installing the system. There are about 100 different ways your job will fail to install and you have to figure each and every one out the hard way. Quite frankly getting the unit installed is half the battle and consumes an inordinate amount of time.

There isn't even a sales dashboard!
    The sales "process" is non existent! The company provides no direction, no tools (other than a tablet) and doesn't even bother to explain anything about your job. They have no systems in place, no best practices, no subject experts, no mentorship programs, no awards, no product training, no sales training, my office doesn't even have working wifi. .
    It's up to you to figure out how to organize your day, find leads, make appointments, and write a pitch. I was told "go sell x units" and that's it...I even had to buy my own business cards. All your leads are self generated, the company will send you a couple dead leads a month, and an appointment or two that have been chewed over a few times already.
    My advice would be RUN if you get "offered" this job or grab a part time gig fast....you will need it.

Advice to Management

You have got to train your people and have better systems.

Dec 14, 2016 – Content Marketing Manager

We are sorry to hear about your experience but appreciate you voicing your concern. We encourage all of our employees to discuss these situations with upper-level management and HR as our employees ... More

"No real money to be made"

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Grand Haven, MI
    Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Grand Haven, MI

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of benefits and career opportunity.

Cons

Money is made by selling devices only but everyone seems to know that you can buy these much cheaper at local stores or from other companies. No money in just selling the monitoring. Company seems to think that their name and past reputation is worth paying so much more for.

Advice to Management

Change your ways to be more competitive. Less micromanagement and fewer meetings!

"Not so great"

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Melville, NY

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commissions are paid by the following Friday if in by end of week. They do provided appointments but you still are expected to generate your own.

Cons

Bad customer service and install department costs you in clients and commissions. Install will blow off appointments and you get charged back when an unsatisfied customer cancels.

Advice to Management

Listen to the field agents and stop the chain yanking.

"Small Business Outside sales rep"

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time

Pros

great money if you are out there working, I am not going to lie, very stressful when you see that you have not sold something. This is only commissions no salary base so you can be sure that you get paid handsomely for each sale.

Cons

commission only. Could be good for those who can afford to have a bad month and recuperate.

Advice to Management

Be loyal to all employees, do not play favorites, and do not ever trust everybody, this is a sales based world, and even people who become friends, become the other's competition.

"Good work life balance and earning potential"

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Griffith, IN
    Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Griffith, IN

I worked at ADT Security Services (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to run territory as your own business, commission package is strong, paid training, if you accomplish your daily goals you'll never miss your child's game or school program again, no micro management.

Cons

No base pay, upper management gives "do better" edicts but doesn't get involved enough to actually help, local management will answer questions but doesn't step up to train assist or do ride-alongs.etc.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed my time with ADT overall, and was doing pretty well. I only left due to seeing my management being demoted and fired which seemed too turbulent. My only real advice would be that when an entire region has bad numbers collectively, look for causes and let existing reps know you care to save your good reps and aren't throwing out the baby with the bath water. Almost our entire team quit in a span of months, that's a red flag. Other than that....needing higher mgmt approval for discounts only works if said managers are constantly available, which isn't feasible. Closing the sale only works if you can actually sell it afterward lol. I've had delays as long as overnight!

Oct 4, 2016 – Content Marketing Manager

We appreciate the honest review, and are happy to hear you had a mostly positive experience. Will will take your concerns into consideration as we work towards improving offerings to all of our ... More

"Small business rep"

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some leads from Sales Force. As long you kept to the grind stone and were door knocking, you'd get results

Cons

Commission only, and you really have a second job keeping track of your commissions. Or they will short you.

Advice to Management

Too much paperwork you, should be in the field more.