ADTRAN Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ADTRAN Chairman, CEO, and Director Thomas R. Stanton
Thomas R. Stanton

Pros
  • awesome work environment, amazing mentors, friendly people all around (in 18 reviews)

• You have a lot chance to learn new cutting-edge technology and actually do a lot of work; Work-life balance is good too; Manager is really nice (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Stress, Sometimes Hard to find a work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Absolutely zero career progression no matter how good you are (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great environment"

Former Employee - Advanced Design Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Advanced Design Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at ADTRAN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment
    Great medical coverage through BCBS of Alabama
    Huntsville has a very low cost of living compared to other high tech sites.
    Great place if you like to innovate given their Hack-A-Thons and Innovation & Ivention weeks.
    Nice campus
    Good price on meals on campus

Cons

Below market salary for the given area.

2. "Dynamic company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at ADTRAN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, get the job done mentality is pervasive. Good benefits, strong financials, solid company.

Cons

Lack of structure and process can make it a challenge for some.

3. "Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at ADTRAN as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

ADTRAN allows interns to work on the core components of their systems alongside full-time developers, which allowed me to learn a lot about networks, programming best practices and effective problem solving techniques.

Cons

The atmosphere throughout the company can be a bit competitive and intense at times, which drives everyone to perform to the best of their ability but at times seems to introduce some inefficiencies.

"The people make ADTRAN great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at ADTRAN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the people I work with and the management team. All seem to care about the customers and the ADTRAN brand. All work hard, equally, to ensure that we produce the best solutions and provide the best services for our customers. Makes me proud to work for ADTRAN.

Cons

Management team is fiscally responsible to our shareholders. We run lean always, because who enjoys a layoff? Down side to this is that there is little movement and little room for growth and development. You are needed right where you are.

Advice to Management

We have the best and most dedicated engineers in the industry. Give us more training and the flexibility to work on different products each year.

5. "Former Co-op"

Former Intern - Co-Op Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Intern - Co-Op Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at ADTRAN as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with, all 3 semesters. They took great care of the co-ops, and made sure they were treated very well. The co-op culture was great - we all had a lot of fun after-hours.

Cons

I didn't think the work was overly exciting. HR went through some changes, which was confusing because I wasn't sure who to contact.

6. "Operations Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I worked at ADTRAN (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team environment. Management in operations is usually supportive. The work/life balance is better than many other companies that design and build electronics. Great place to start your career. Tuition reimbursement is one of the best benefits.

Cons

Career progression is flat. The majority of the managers are men. Raises are "merit based" but are low. Recovery from growth acquisition is slow.

"Good place to work, decent benefits, small town, less traffic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at ADTRAN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Knowledgeable people, laid back attitude, no work pressure.

Cons

Conservative, individual offices makes it isolated work place. Vast product portfolio of products.

Advice to Management

Too many products to manage. Too many customers to handle. Managing all these things can go out of hand.

8. "Software Engineer Co-op"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Co-Op in Huntsville, AL
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Co-Op in Huntsville, AL

I worked at ADTRAN as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-op culture - co-ops are a longstanding tradition at Adtran. Expect to become familiar with most if not all of your fellow co-ops. In my rotation we had daily social events.

HR are a great resource--very friendly, helpful, and respond to concerns in a timely manner.

Co-op rotations are structured in such a way that both you and the employer benefit. No coffee fetching. You learn real world skills.

Cons

The company is very large and even after three co-op rotations it can still be somewhat difficult to give a complete answer to the question "What does Adtran do." When I was there, they were continuing to improve on the co-op program to give co-ops more chances to learn about other areas of the company, so they know about this problem and are actively working to fix it.

Advice to Management

On the whole, the co-op program is great. I love how the Co-op coordinator takes time to work with you on the individual level. I feel like if more managers/mentors take part in regimented checkups with the co-ops under their supervision it can go from great to spectacular.

9. "Work Experience at ADTRAN"

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at ADTRAN (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Phoenix division was an excellent place to work. It was a challenging and fun work experience while it lasted. Excellent work/life balance. A very good management and a a good team environment..

Cons

It was all work and very little emphasis on employee training. We could have done with a lot more training

10. "Good company in which to learn the basics"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Huntsville, AL

I worked at ADTRAN (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is very team oriented, you get a mentor as an intern or co-op, but your entire team will become an invaluable resource. If you are a student looking to have a great internship or co-op, this is a great place to do it.

Cons

There is basically no upward mobility in terms of salary and promotions. You could possibly be there in the same salary range for a while.

Advice to Management

Keep up the internships and co-op opportunities and move the entire development unit towards collaborative workspaces.