ADTRAN Reviews | Glassdoor

ADTRAN Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • awesome work environment, amazing mentors, friendly people all around (in 18 reviews)

• You have a lot chance to learn new cutting-edge technology and actually do a lot of work; Work-life balance is good too; Manager is really nice (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Stress, Sometimes Hard to find a work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Absolutely zero career progression no matter how good you are (in 3 reviews)

"Close-minded, conservative and outdated"

I worked at ADTRAN full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, job-security if you don't care about advancing your career. Easy to fly under the radar. The gym is cheap and the cafes are decent.

Cons

- Employees are underpaid, especially for women and minorities.
    - All priority is given to expense reduction.
    - No flexibility to work from home. This was especially ironic when we were told to participate in a Skype pilot.
    - Management didn't understand my position or the platform that I supported.
    - Outdated view of company vision being applied even though they are attempting to transition to a software company.
    - Use of buzzwords to compensate for lack of understanding of current technology landscape.
    - Management is more concerned that you are in your office, rather than whether you are actually contributing to the business. Ie, babysitters.
    - Projects are set-up for failure due to lack of trust in SMEs, too many meetings to make simple decisions, and lack of talent due to frustration and leaving company.
    - Management doesn't take into account soft cost when it comes to making a vendor decision, only the bottom line.
    - No motivation after being told no so many times.

Advice to Management

- Understand and maximize the capabilities of existing tools.
    - Evaluate total cost when making vendor decisions.
    - Invest in the resources necessary to maintain tools and platforms.
    - Allow employees to work from home.
    - Pay people what they are worth, make them feel like they matter and that they are making a contribution.

"For new engineers mainly"

Current Employee - Peon in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Peon in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at ADTRAN (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to start a career. Lots of opportunity for learning. Mostly a lax atmosphere if you don't work for production.

Cons

The company is changing into a software driven company. The raises are really nothing to brag about. Opportunity for advancement is almost non-existent. They seem to be afraid to pay what people deserve.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees. They combined with you make this company work. Losing long term employees to better employment is not the way to stay in business.

"The people make ADTRAN great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at ADTRAN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the people I work with and the management team. All seem to care about the customers and the ADTRAN brand. All work hard, equally, to ensure that we produce the best solutions and provide the best services for our customers. Makes me proud to work for ADTRAN.

Cons

Management team is fiscally responsible to our shareholders. We run lean always, because who enjoys a layoff? Down side to this is that there is little movement and little room for growth and development. You are needed right where you are.

Advice to Management

We have the best and most dedicated engineers in the industry. Give us more training and the flexibility to work on different products each year.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Columbia, SC

I have been working at ADTRAN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Knowledgeable, friendly, and hardworking. Good communciation between coworkers and a good open door policy.

Cons

Work Sometimes can be repetitive.

Advice to Management

Create more flexibility and room to grow

"Good Fiber Story, Ancient Enterprise Networking Story"

Former Employee - Channel Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Channel Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at ADTRAN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

hit your number, stay under the radar and have a job forever

Cons

low pay, outdated enterprise networking gear (10 years old!), strict pecking order culture, even star performers have no where to go.

7. "good place to get networking experience"

Former Employee - Design Verification Test (DVT) Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Design Verification Test (DVT) Engineer in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Nice open door policy, easy to communicate with co-workers.

Cons

Not sure I'd want to spend my whole career there. The work can get tedious and repetitive

Advice to Management

have more specific long term goals

8. "Operations Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I worked at ADTRAN (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team environment. Management in operations is usually supportive. The work/life balance is better than many other companies that design and build electronics. Great place to start your career. Tuition reimbursement is one of the best benefits.

Cons

Career progression is flat. The majority of the managers are men. Raises are "merit based" but are low. Recovery from growth acquisition is slow.

"Good place to work, decent benefits, small town, less traffic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at ADTRAN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Knowledgeable people, laid back attitude, no work pressure.

Cons

Conservative, individual offices makes it isolated work place. Vast product portfolio of products.

Advice to Management

Too many products to manage. Too many customers to handle. Managing all these things can go out of hand.

"Disappointing two years"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I worked at ADTRAN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If this is your first job, go to "Cons" section
    If this is not your first job,
    1. Working here will teach you, that all your others jobs were far better
    2. It will teach you that even 0.5 % increment is OK
    3. It will teach you that you have so much potential, you can work for more than 8 hours a day and more than 5 days a week and still can have smile (fake smile)
    4. It will teach you all the elevation/performance review is show off, your increment is independent to your performance.
    5. Engineering managers can be technical and self-praising
    6. Your traffic can be monitored by the engineering manager (the one who runs the place), so don't use facebook or glassdoor

Cons

1. Your salary and position in previous job will not matter, they will pay you what they want (no standards follow)
    2. No bonuses, reason - company isn't doing good (I stayed there more than two years no yearly bonus)
    3. Engineering manager insults QA if they don't open bugs. He can go to the extend and write that in weekly update
    4. If you are employer and write review here, you will be intimidated (I was intimidated and threaten by not my manager but the engineering manager who runs the place)
    5. Engineering manager opens new accounts on glass door to write positive review about himself and company

Advice to Management

Heard it is falling apart now. You wasted my two years and talent, please please please don't do that to others. Treat employees like humans, and please let the QA be run by a QA manager and not engineering manager (that is partially why QA fails)

"Co-op at Adtran"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I worked at ADTRAN (Less than a year)

Pros

Great campus, good people. Enjoyable co op experience. Good exposure to real world development environment. The cafeteria has some incredible food options.

Cons

Huntsville can get a little boring after a while. After my interaction with a lot of the full-timers, it seems like its hard to find opportunities to grow within the company.

Advice to Management

Give co-op students an opportunity to interact more with the management. Allowing co-op students to rotate with other campuses in the US and abroad may help attract more talent.