AECOM Reviews | Glassdoor

3,069 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "BSA"

I have been working at AECOM full-time

Pros

Very Good Company to work for

Cons

Top Heavy Company....needs to change

2. "Sr. Recruiter"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a lot of growth and room for advancement.

Cons

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Advice to Management

Don't let your employees feel like they are just a number.

3. "Senior Homeland Security Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Germantown, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Germantown, MD

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Professional work environment, good pay, and chance for advancement. Employees, can move from contract to contract. This company also provides the workers with very good on-line training in Safety, and other work related issues.

Cons

Short term employment for some.

Advice to Management

Supervisors are sometimes very unable to support workers on proposals. They are too risk adverse.

"Bureaucracy at its finest. I have no regrets leaving because it turns out the grass is greener elsewhere."

Former Employee - Group Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- at the local office level, there are some managers who try hard to support and promote talent and buffer the bureaucracy that exists company-wide.
    - at the company level, salaries are commensurate with industry (based on my experience when job searching), the schedule was extremely flexible as long as you got work complete on time.
    - the variety of projects and places you have access to can really expand skill sets, networking ability. Overall, if you can put up with the cons for several years, you can get very good work/project experience quickly.
    - cross functional collaboration is easy to do if you put in the time in the internal technical practice networks

Cons

1. High Bureaucracy - a) the organizational structure of AECOM (especially at corporate level) has a lot of layers; b) decision making is either slow or reactionary instead of proactive; c) utilization is monitored to the nth degree.

2. Too many tools and/or emails - tools used for project management are time consuming and not user-friendly. The most recent switch to another PM software was supposed to fix that, but it didn't improve efficiency. When AECOM first acquired URS, the number of emails that I received on a daily basis that either repeated the same thing, or that were non-relevant was high. Those did eventually become consolidated somewhat, but since I am busy keeping billable, I couldn't spend a lot of time reading them.

3. As many emails went out, there was poor vertical communication. People below the managerial levels were not always aware of the big picture or longer term goals of the corporation, and people who did know definitely did not feel included in working towards those goals.

4. Lack of visionary leadership - supervisors and managers tend to administrate or micromanage. There is no leadership development program unless you personally work out a mentorship with someone.

5. MAJOR lack of initiative. There is poor motivation/encouragement. People do not feel their contributions make a difference so they work defensively and not creatively. Employee morale is generally low.

Advice to Management

1. ENGAGE the organization effectively. Appreciate your employees. Whether you like it or not, their efforts help the company meet its goals (whether monetary or otherwise).
    2. GET RID of the 9-box performance review tool. I put a lot of thought and my own time into giving specific and productive reviews to my group, only to have ratings reduced by managers several levels above me because of having to meet some quota.
    3. EVALUATE who you are letting go before you do. Don't just simply look at the amount of overhead salary. Check the earnings that person brought in based on project billable work done by his/her staff. As an example, if a manager got paid 100K all on overhead, but brought in $2+million billable for his/her team, then letting them go is not the best idea. Especially because you risk losing clients and talent when that person goes to a competitor.

5. "Senior Project Manager"

I have been working at AECOM full-time

Pros

Diverse expertise in engineering consulting

Cons

Bureaucratic with too many middle managers fighting over resources

6. "Good opportunities, low compensation"

Current Employee - Geologist
    Current Employee - Geologist

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

AECOM is a global corporation with opportunities to work on a huge variety of projects. There is a flexible telecommuting policy, which allows you to move without transferring or losing your job.

Cons

Compensation is low, and benefits are average.

Advice to Management

Management could improve communication of policy changes and access to important information. Many of the communication problems are a result of a recent merger and rapid changes, which I hope will be rectified in the next year or so when changes have been implemented and issues are ironed out.

"Interview"

Pros

Great friendly environment. Really liked the teamwork.

Cons

Sometimes asked a lot from employees.

"A lot of neopotism"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at AECOM (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady work and government pay

Cons

the likely hood of getting hired if you are not related to a supervisor is pretty nil. Most supervisors have their wives, kids, and their spouses working there...regardless of their ability to do the job or their experience.

Advice to Management

hire people that know how to do the job, not because they are related to someone.

"If You Don't Actually Work on Projects, This is the Place for You"

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Allows paternity leave, if you are middle-management, you are basically untouchable.

Cons

The company does not care about employees. Will lay people off with little to no evaluation other than whether or not said person was "billable enough" in the preceding few weeks. Have actually lost contracts with clients because of laying off certain employees. Everyone I have spoken to, including myself, feel like they are two bad weeks away from layoff. Only focuses on how to make it easier for corporate to report to shareholders.

Advice to Management

The shareholders are not your employees. If you actually empower your employees, the shareholders will stay as well Actually invest in your workforce and don't just shovel propaganda in our faces. When you treat us like literal cogs, it is impossible for us to care about doing quality work.

"Hit or miss"

Current Employee - Engineer in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of different types of projects; good benefits

Cons

Very large company that focuses on large scale projects (con if that's not what you do)

Advice to Management

Value small projects and your people

Showing 3,069 of 3,242 reviews