AECOM Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work overtime sometimes, work life balance not good enough (in 61 reviews)

• So big that its easy to feel like you're just a number (in 47 reviews)

"Good people, unrealistic utilization goals"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at AECOM (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people at all levels of management. Great amount of exposure to all kinds of different projects. Global footprint allows for ability to relocate relatively easily

Cons

Unbelievably bureaucratic Management reporting structure. Unrealistic utilization goals that are calculated weekly. IT is outsourced with very little immediate or onsite support.

Advice to Management

Understand that overhead costs are part of a workers job. Being billable full time is completely unrealistic.

"Environmental Planner"

Current Employee - Environmental Planner in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Environmental Planner in Oakland, CA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They win big interesting projects.

Cons

Run by upper management who seem to have no contact with the staff they are managing. The project management system is terrible and makes it very hard to run a project

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees to find out what their issues are.

3. "Meh."

Former Employee - Wildlife Biologist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Wildlife Biologist in Oakland, CA

I worked at AECOM full-time

Pros

Resources galore, free catered food weekly, public recognition

Cons

No real mentorship, cliques, spent more on remodel than on raises.

Advice to Management

Don't pick who you lay off based on popularity.

"Great place to get your foot in the door, not a great place to stay long-term"

Former Intern - Intern in Oakland, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Oakland, CA

I worked at AECOM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

AECOM is a large company and they do large- scale projects. It is a great way to pick up experience when you are first heading into the industry because of that reason.

Cons

Bureaucracy is high --the employee rating system is poor and beyond anything of what I've seen. Workers have to battle for raises and recognition for your work is hard to receive. There is a very low retention of younger employees because of this reason. It is easy to feel unimportant in this company because of how big it is and how disposable every employee feels.

Advice to Management

Change the employee rating system. Work more on keeping young and bright employees in the company.

"salary"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

competitive base salaries are offered

Cons

not much of an annual raise

Advice to Management

transparent communication with teams would help

"Only money matters at AECOM"

Former Employee - Archaeologist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Archaeologist in Oakland, CA

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relatively high-paying salary (though they may not always pay you), flexible hours

Cons

HORRIBLE work culture, negligence to the point of illegality, frustrating bureaucracy because of its size, no loyalty to workers. They rely on their image, cool projects, and menial gestures of appreciation to hide their structural devaluation of their workers through things like refusal to pay for department meetings, pushing people to use PTO when work is slow, and just general oversight that leads to unsafe job sites. They tell you what you want to hear, then scramble to make it true enough to get by. I cannot believe this company is as large as it is, as it feels like it's propped up on stilts with the way it's constantly shifts leadership internally (there have been TONS of mergers in the last few years, and they have NOT gone over smoothly). There is not accountability on large or even small scales. For example, I regularly experienced payroll issues as their was no dedicated payroll person in my office and would get people from all over the U.S. helping me. Currently, they paid me incorrectly for my final check and are now Fedex-ing me another check even though they told me that they would direct deposit it, and there is a surprise penalty payment. Typical AECOM. There was also only a single HR person at my office for over 400 employees, who went on maternity leave and was not replaced. When I began experiencing issues and needed to talk to HR, I was passed around to four different HR people throughout the process. Nothing was resolved. The lack of communication or commitment to people is outrageous at this company.

Advice to Management

Value, respect, and listen to your workers. Talk is cheap--take actions to show them their importance. Prioritize fixing your workplace culture rather than just on the immediate goals (winning work), and your retention and productivity will improve (and you'll win more work in the long run).

"Director"

Former Employee - Environment Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Environment Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few good employees who still remain with the company but actively look to move on as soon as possible.

Cons

Horrible management. Cheap company where only senior management staff get compensated. HR is just horrible as no one wants to support management or employees.

Advice to Management

Get rid of senior management and HR and start appreciating your productive employees.

"Awful disparities in pay between men and women"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, diverse projects, generally very friendly coworkers.

Cons

Pay and benefits not competitive. In my department, 85% of the women have graduate degrees, compared to 5% of the men. We generally have more experience. Yet are overlooked for management positions, and payed less than men with equal or lesser experience.

Advice to Management

Make a more concerted effort to pay women the same salaries as men.

"Everyone I know is bored or frustrated."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Big company, so many high profile projects (if you can persuade someone to let you on the project in the first place)
    -Decent benefits
    -Many offices worldwide
    -Work/Life balance is good. I never work over 40 hours/week.
    -Decent number of cool people given the overall bad attitude about the company itself

Cons

-Terrible place to work for young people. Even you if you have 5 years experience, expect to do data entry until you can work up the corporate ladder. Basically, you have to "do your time" no matter what your credentials. AECOM is not a meritocracy.
    -Don't expect to be creative here. If you don't do work exactly by the 10 page checklist, you will receive push back, even if you have good ideas for improvement.
    -Managers treat employees like a number. If you have 40 hours a week, expect to be left alone (sometimes I wondered if people realized I still worked there). As soon as you need more work or are not 100% billable, expect extreme micromanagement, aka "please send me what you worked on yesterday in 15min intervals." There is no middle ground.
    -If you want a challenging job, look elsewhere. If you have a science or engineering degree and you want to float slowly to middle management over 10 years without creating anything or thinking outside of the box, work here.
    -With that said, AECOM is actually a good place to be for a decent job with a decent salary and decent benefits with minimal effort. But you won't ever come to work excited.

Advice to Management

There is an extremely high turnover rate in the company and employees that quit fit the same mold. They come from good universities, have prior work experience, are ambitious and show leadership potential. Stop hiring those people. What you really want are cogs in the machine.

10. "Not too bad"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at AECOM (More than a year)

Pros

Huge range of projects at AECOM. Not too bad of a pay. not too bad of the workplace. Good for starting your professional career.

Cons

Management is dismissive, not caring about employees and their satisfaction.

Advice to Management

If you make a decision, expect the consequences of that decision, employees are not your slaves.

Showing 44 of 3,604 reviews