AECOM Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Cons

"Good people, unrealistic utilization goals"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at AECOM (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people at all levels of management. Great amount of exposure to all kinds of different projects. Global footprint allows for ability to relocate relatively easily

Cons

Unbelievably bureaucratic Management reporting structure. Unrealistic utilization goals that are calculated weekly. IT is outsourced with very little immediate or onsite support.

Advice to Management

Understand that overhead costs are part of a workers job. Being billable full time is completely unrealistic.

"Only money matters at AECOM"

Former Employee - Archaeologist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Archaeologist in Oakland, CA

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relatively high-paying salary (though they may not always pay you), flexible hours

Cons

HORRIBLE work culture, negligence to the point of illegality, frustrating bureaucracy because of its size, no loyalty to workers. They rely on their image, cool projects, and menial gestures of appreciation to hide their structural devaluation of their workers through things like refusal to pay for department meetings, pushing people to use PTO when work is slow, and just general oversight that leads to unsafe job sites. They tell you what you want to hear, then scramble to make it true enough to get by. I cannot believe this company is as large as it is, as it feels like it's propped up on stilts with the way it's constantly shifts leadership internally (there have been TONS of mergers in the last few years, and they have NOT gone over smoothly). There is not accountability on large or even small scales. For example, I regularly experienced payroll issues as their was no dedicated payroll person in my office and would get people from all over the U.S. helping me. Currently, they paid me incorrectly for my final check and are now Fedex-ing me another check even though they told me that they would direct deposit it, and there is a surprise penalty payment. Typical AECOM. There was also only a single HR person at my office for over 400 employees, who went on maternity leave and was not replaced. When I began experiencing issues and needed to talk to HR, I was passed around to four different HR people throughout the process. Nothing was resolved. The lack of communication or commitment to people is outrageous at this company.

Advice to Management

Value, respect, and listen to your workers. Talk is cheap--take actions to show them their importance. Prioritize fixing your workplace culture rather than just on the immediate goals (winning work), and your retention and productivity will improve (and you'll win more work in the long run).

"Director"

Former Employee - Environment Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Environment Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few good employees who still remain with the company but actively look to move on as soon as possible.

Cons

Horrible management. Cheap company where only senior management staff get compensated. HR is just horrible as no one wants to support management or employees.

Advice to Management

Get rid of senior management and HR and start appreciating your productive employees.

"Awful disparities in pay between men and women"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, diverse projects, generally very friendly coworkers.

Cons

Pay and benefits not competitive. In my department, 85% of the women have graduate degrees, compared to 5% of the men. We generally have more experience. Yet are overlooked for management positions, and payed less than men with equal or lesser experience.

Advice to Management

Make a more concerted effort to pay women the same salaries as men.

"Everyone I know is bored or frustrated."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Big company, so many high profile projects (if you can persuade someone to let you on the project in the first place)
    -Decent benefits
    -Many offices worldwide
    -Work/Life balance is good. I never work over 40 hours/week.
    -Decent number of cool people given the overall bad attitude about the company itself

Cons

-Terrible place to work for young people. Even you if you have 5 years experience, expect to do data entry until you can work up the corporate ladder. Basically, you have to "do your time" no matter what your credentials. AECOM is not a meritocracy.
    -Don't expect to be creative here. If you don't do work exactly by the 10 page checklist, you will receive push back, even if you have good ideas for improvement.
    -Managers treat employees like a number. If you have 40 hours a week, expect to be left alone (sometimes I wondered if people realized I still worked there). As soon as you need more work or are not 100% billable, expect extreme micromanagement, aka "please send me what you worked on yesterday in 15min intervals." There is no middle ground.
    -If you want a challenging job, look elsewhere. If you have a science or engineering degree and you want to float slowly to middle management over 10 years without creating anything or thinking outside of the box, work here.
    -With that said, AECOM is actually a good place to be for a decent job with a decent salary and decent benefits with minimal effort. But you won't ever come to work excited.

Advice to Management

There is an extremely high turnover rate in the company and employees that quit fit the same mold. They come from good universities, have prior work experience, are ambitious and show leadership potential. Stop hiring those people. What you really want are cogs in the machine.

7. "Not too bad"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at AECOM (More than a year)

Pros

Huge range of projects at AECOM. Not too bad of a pay. not too bad of the workplace. Good for starting your professional career.

Cons

Management is dismissive, not caring about employees and their satisfaction.

Advice to Management

If you make a decision, expect the consequences of that decision, employees are not your slaves.

"AECOM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Executes great projects that make a difference to society
    - Focused on centralized IT and systems, globally, to remove costs and support project delivery

Cons

- Run my management consultants focused on lagging KPIs to steer people management decisions and investments rather than putting the client first and allowing revenues to follow. Originates from history as a holding company. Executive Leadership not close enough to the services actually delivered.
    - Finds it easier to recruit externally as a first option rather than leverage the value of recruiting from within its ranks and nurture indigenous talent
    - Does not value institutional knowledge in staff with 10+years experience. Sees them as a cost burden
    - Promotes the value of long term organic growth but does not demonstrate the patience/fortitude of required long term investment in order to achieve it.

9. "Getting Better Everyday"

Current Employee - Designer II in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Designer II in Oakland, CA

Pros

Good progressive environment with possibility of growth

Cons

Very Large company and have to swim up stream and fight through the bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Take risks on processes and trust staff to perform

"Big company with not so big benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AECOM (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of bureaucracy and corporate notifications

Cons

Horrible benefits that are reduced more and more each year:
    - High deductibles
    - 401k matching hijacked to once a year payment
    - No bonus structure

Focused on safety and accounting instead of engineering and project management

"Civil Engineer"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Flexible work hours. Great people to work with. It's truly amazing that so many talented staff are still at AECOM. As the pointed-headed boss in Dilbert would say, AECOM management likes the employees to be bright, but clueless. Opportunities to work on some great projects with some good clients.

Cons

So much talent wasted on work for an organization whose management doesn't seem to care about the employees, about the clients, about subcontractors, or about ethical business practices. Upper management doesn't seem to care whether the company disintegrates in 6 month or a year, as long as the monthly and quarterly profits look good on the books. Advice to junior staff: don't waste your career working for this organization. Find a better company soon. Advice to people considering employment at AECOM: look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Please be as honest and fair as you can manage to be and treat your employees, clients, and subcontractors with respect.. Please find a way to operate the business with appropriate ethics. Please look further than 1 month out in planning your strategy for the company's operations. Please don't bother the sales pitch to get employees to fill out employee satisfaction surveys if you're not going to do anything of substance in response to the (mostly negative) feedback from the employees.

Showing 40 of 3,139 reviews