AEON Corporation of Japan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • They set you up with housing, help you get a bank account and cell phone (in 13 reviews)

• You also get to meet a lot of different kinds of people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Foreign teachers are used as a scapegoat if the manager is doing poorly (in 22 reviews)

• Japanese staff is way underpaid and overworked (in 12 reviews)

"Great company , monotonous job"

Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at AEON Corporation of Japan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They subsidize your rent and help you find/get you your own apartment. Japan is awesome and you love many (not all) of your students. Very professional and structured organization with plenty of training.

Cons

The lesson are so structured that you feel bored after about 4/5 months, with every day/week feeling the same same same.

Advice to Management

Find ways to add more excitement to working at an Aeon school , genuinely.

2. "Not Bad"

Former Employee - English Teacher
    Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at AEON Corporation of Japan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly supportive staff, and the company made a point to make the staff feel included in most parts of the school.

Cons

Constant interference from the corporate offices.

Advice to Management

Let local staff be more autonomous.

3. "Great company does recommend"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at AEON Corporation of Japan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay
    Awesome staff
    Great hours
    The people you meet, you will bond with them

Cons

None really, but maybe more flexibility

Advice to Management

Maybe a better pay thats about it

"If you want to get to Japan, be prepared to work for it"

Former Employee - English As A Second Language Teacher
    Former Employee - English As A Second Language Teacher

I worked at AEON Corporation of Japan (More than a year)

Pros

A well furnished apartment (note, not all apartment buildings will be brand new - I was lucky)
    Helpful coworkers
    Right near the Bullet train
    Pay was great, especially if you live in a small town.

Cons

You can be the only foreign teacher at your school.
    Long work hours, expected to work some Sundays.
    Little vacation time, You get the 3 major one-week breaks that ALL Japanese workers have. Traveling during those times is kinda crazy and busy.

Advice to Management

If you don't want your English teachers to burn out, give them more days off.

6. "review"

I worked at AEON Corporation of Japan full-time

Pros

they set up everything for you

Cons

terrible hours no room for advancement

"Freaking awesome but greatly depends on School"

Current Employee - English Teacher
    Current Employee - English Teacher

I have been working at AEON Corporation of Japan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Let me just say this is the best experience, and the best choice I've made in my life!! I'm having a wonderful time in Japan.

This is a great way to get started on living and teaching in Japan. Aeon has great staff support. I mean really, they take care of you. They set you up with a usually furnished apartment, they help you with almost everything to finally get you all situated in Japan. You go through some training which does help. Then they'll set you free to your school where you'll meet your new coworkers/managers who most likely are willing to help you out if you need it. Your coworkers can be one of the best things/pro during this experience.

This brings me to my next point. The reason you see mixed reviews is because it greatly depends on your school. You may get a school with an awful manager, staff that can hardly speak English, or just bad work environment in general. Well, that can really take a toll on you and effect your happiness. Thankfully, that's in the minority but it does happen. I had an awesome school, in an awesome location(also another big factor). My manager was chill af.

You'll teach and get to know your students. It can be a really rewarding and amazing experience. They are all usually very nice, cool, wonderful people. The students will definitely be a pro while here.

Your training mates! Depends, but you guys could end up having a tight bond.

Cons

- The work hours. It'll feel like you're living for the weekends.
    - It's easy work but you're expected to do a lot in between classes and sometimes it can feel overwhelming. It also depends on how busy your school is. Some teachers have more hectic schedules.
    - counseling week/sales week (where you try to push products on your students..it's not so bad sometimes, but it's not so good).

Advice to Management

Can't think of any at the moment

8. "Not bad"

I worked at AEON Corporation of Japan full-time

Pros

It is a great place to start out in Japan. They help you with apartments, phones, and many other essentials that are very hard to do on your own when first arriving.

Cons

The first six months can be very rough with how sub-par the training is and how many classes you have to teach. after that it is not such a stressful job

"Great experience"

Pros

But I worked here in 1994. It was a terrific experience.

Cons

One thing that's important to understand, at least in Japan, is that once you get to the school, the managers don't explain what they want you to do. They expected us to copy them.

Advice to Management

So AEON's training needs to be tweaked to explain that cultural gap.

"Not Real Education"

I worked at AEON Corporation of Japan full-time

Pros

The hiring process is exceptionally organized (almost misleadingly so). The company sets you up with an apartment and really helps you settle in to the area. Most students are eager to share information about the city you're in.

Cons

It really depends on what school you get assigned to. Other Aeon teachers I met talked about how great their schools were, others had ones that sounded like something straight out of a nightmare. Mine was in the middle: I had nice co-workers and students, but the school was horribly disorganized.
    Although I was lucky to have awesome trainers, the training program itself doesn't prepare you for actual life at the school. In training, you're given hours and days to work on a single lesson plan; when you get to the school, you'll be given next to no prep time and expected to teach 25-30 lessons a week. So, be ready to bring a lot of work home.
    If you take your job as a teacher seriously, you'll be in for heartbreak, because you simply don't have the time or resources to teach quality English lessons. You only have 10 minutes between each class. Even on your slower days, you're expected to help with administrative duties rather than try to prepare and improve your lessons.
    You'll work tons of unpaid overtime: overtime isn't calculated based on when you clock in or out, only based on teaching hours. So, if you're required to stay for various administrative tasks, you don't get compensated for it.

Overall, it's an okay experience as long as you don't overthink it. You just have to roll with the punches and bite your tongue a lot. And hope you get placed in a good school...

Advice to Management

A lot of the material is extremely outdated and difficult to teach. Also, encouraging management positions to learn English themselves would lead to less miscommunication.

"Great experience, expect to work hard"

Pros

The opportunity to live and work in Japan is amazing. I worked at the children's division of Aeon, called Amity. I really enjoyed the in classroom time with the kids, they were a lot of fun.

Cons

Don't expect this to be a walk in the park. You will have full teaching schedule, need to prepare for classes outside of work at times and be expected to assist is selling classes.