AEON Corporation of Japan Reviews

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,890

960 Comments

Teachers

160K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=AEON Corporation of Japan~157862
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good pay for teaching English in Japan.(in 39 reviews)
  • "Intense but good training gave me confidence to teach for the first time.(in 31 reviews)
  • "My staff are great and I really enjoy working with them.(in 27 reviews)
  • "Good Salary and a visa.(in 26 reviews)
  • "Coworkers were nice and helpful.(in 14 reviews)
Cons
  • "A bad manager or staff member can completely break a school and everyone on the staff, and little will be done about them.(in 31 reviews)
  • "Long hours (generally 11:45 to 9:20).(in 17 reviews)
  • "Management and corporate / trainers need improvement(in 16 reviews)
  • "Getting someone to cover for you when you take time off can be difficult.(in 13 reviews)
  • "Days may be a little exhausting as there can be up to 30 classes a week.(in 12 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of AEON Corporation of Japan and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful Experience

Sep 9, 2021 - English Language Instructor
    Business Outlook

Pros

No worries about housing Great Pay Awesome Locations

Cons

You have to sell products more than they lead you to believe in the interview process, but the pros far outweigh the negative side of this.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Exploits workers

Feb 3, 2022 - English Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

-You get a 3 year work visa that gets you into the country and set up, and you get to keep it as long as you're employed at ANY company in japan

Cons

-Terrible housing -No work/life balance whatsoever

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

It's a business

Nov 3, 2021 - English Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Very professional company -Exposure to the business world (sales, contract negotiation, etc.) -Not the hardest to teach lessons -Able to meet and form relationships with people from all walks of life -You're in the city

Cons

-Very limiting to career advancement -Limited with creating lesson plans and really teaching -Compensation isn't the best -No commission or motivation to do the sales part of the job

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Only do this if you just want to move to the country.

Sep 27, 2021 - English Instructor
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to meet some really interesting people as an instructor. The lessons are very easy to teach and fun to personalize.

Cons

As a disclaimer I worked for AEON during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, during this time there was an insane amount of pressure on supplementary sales goals and we were constantly berated for just reaching our goal instead of reaching higher. It was difficult to make our sales goals when everyone had supplementary material. Also they will say that working on certain Sundays is optional but it's essentially mandatory. I have heard at certain branches that this wasn't the case. I may have just been stuck in an unlucky branch.

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0

Best of the Eikaiwa

Jul 20, 2021 - Instructor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Best starting salary, most training resources

Cons

Quality of school is up to random chance, less vacation time than others

6. 4.0

English Teacher

Jun 25, 2021 - Teaching English
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun working with students, provide housing and will help you adjust

Cons

The hours are not great

7. 1.0
    Former Employee

Bad

Jul 20, 2021 - English As A Second Language Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great way to experience a new culture I guess.

Cons

Interview process was terrible. Not open about what the job is really like. Forced to be a textbook salesperson.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

As good as it gets for an English conversation school

Jun 16, 2021 - English Instructor
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Seeing your students improve over time and achieve their goals through your lessons and interactions together is extremely rewarding. - My school was an extremely nice environment to be in. The staff were all friendly and supportive and the students were very respectful. I suppose this varies across the country. - There are a lot of training sessions and meetings to ensure teachers are developing their skills over time. The trainers (both foreign and Japanese) are mostly kind and understanding. Again, this might depend on where you are placed. - It's a Japanese company which is a pro or con depending on how you see it. However, personally I enjoyed developing my professionalism from having worked at AEON. I was able to work with students who are noisy, funny toddlers to hard-working executives at companies. You've got to be able to wear many hats which was something I enjoyed.

Cons

- The hours make it quite difficult to enjoy your mornings or your evenings. I was aware of my arranged working hours before accepting the position thinking it wouldn't be a problem. However, it's quite draining both physically and emotionally especially for my Japanese coworkers who have commutes. - I was told I'd work 2-3 Sundays a year. I worked more than 10 in 2020 alone. Some of my other foreign teacher friends have worked more. KDDI, who is AEON's parent company, seems to be adding more Sunday opens and if your school only employees 1 or 2 foreign teachers you're expected to work them all. This is from my experience and again from people I know in other branches. - The apartments are hit and miss. Some of my foreign teacher friends had more comfortable ones, but mine last received a renovation in 2002. I tried making it as comfortable as possible, but it's definitely not a place where you can feel "at home."

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee

good company to work with

May 12, 2021 - Mechanical Design Engineer in Jamestown, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

environment is good and good pay.

Cons

too much work load, with basic vacation.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great experience just know what you’re getting into

Apr 5, 2021 - English Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Live life in japan Wonderful students Great culture exchange and experience Fulfilling job

Cons

Even though the job is fulfilling work schedule is horrible Be expected to overwork Be expected to do things old fashioned (no data entry mostly paperwork)

Continue reading
Viewing 1 - 10 of 335 Reviews

AEON Corporation of Japan Reviews FAQs

AEON Corporation of Japan has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 386 reviews left anonymously by employees. 72% of employees would recommend working at AEON Corporation of Japan to a friend and 48% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, AEON Corporation of Japan employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at AEON Corporation of Japan. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

72% of AEON Corporation of Japan employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated AEON Corporation of Japan 2.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 2.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at AEON Corporation of Japan to be coworkers, compensation and the cons to be benefits, career development, management.

Popular Careers with AEON Corporation of Japan Job Seekers