AEP Reviews in Bridgman, MI | Glassdoor

AEP President & CEO Nick Akins
Nick Akins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours with no thank you or recognition (in 9 reviews)

• The (Ivory tower) downtown work environment was different from any other AEP location (in 7 reviews)

1. "Nuclear power"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Bridgman, MI

I have been working at AEP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The salary is high compared to the cost of living for the area. The other major employer in the region is Whirlpool however they have a higher turnover for engineers. Major culture change initiative also made it a more positive work environment.

AEP has a very large service territory so it's easy to find other opportunities within the company.

Cons

Nuclear power is a highly regulated industry so projects and work moves at a snail's pace. Nothing can be done without proper procedure, training, and qualification. Be sure to accept this as it's a condition of employment.

It's challenging to maintain a decent balance between work and life. There's mountains of work to do so prioritize effectively if you ever want to keep your hours below 50/week.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

2. "Component Engineering Supervisor"

Former Employee - Thomas R Smith, Component Engineering Supervisor in Bridgman, MI

I worked at AEP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to manage without micro managing.

Cons

Mgt take a bit more time with HR decisions

Advice to Management

Continue to look for self starters and those that lead by example. Team builders who recognize talent and skill sets. One of my top two desirable employers.

3. "Good employer"

Former Employee - Armed Security Officer in Bridgman, MI
    Former Employee - Armed Security Officer in Bridgman, MI

Pros

Pay and benefits are great. 12 hour shifts 6am- 6pm or 6pm- 6am, so you work 4 days on and 3 days off, then 3 days on and 4 days off. Chance for bonuses based on team performance. Most of the people are great to work with.
    Great training.

Cons

The job is pretty boring unless there is training or an outage going on. During outages there may be forced overtime.

Advice to Management

Treat people like people, not just bodies to sit a post.

4. "Exciting but strenuous work environment."

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Bridgman, MI

I worked at AEP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is potential for growth and high safety standards. Strong in cultural and ethics. Constant training and advancement in responsibilities.

Cons

Constant work overload, forfeiting vacation time with no compensation, lack of leadership, negative leadership on accepting questioning attitude, and poor work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Management review on supervisor performance from department point of view. Constant training in supervisor roles and responsibilities and leadership, in helping resolve issues and providing support to department and individuals. Controlling work loads and providing training is a must to prosperity.

5. "Loved the company, not the work."

Former Employee - Engineer II in Bridgman, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Bridgman, MI

I worked at AEP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I felt that the company treated the employees well--great pay and benefits. The annual review process was straightforward and, for the most part, the pathway to obtaining raises and promotions was easy to understand. Generally my direct supervision was excellent and coworkers were easy to work with. I felt adequately trained and prepared for all of my responsibilities.

Cons

The work was necessarily monotonous and tedious. There is (obviously) a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through to get very simple tasks accomplished. Emergency Response responsibilities for salaried employees impacted life outside of work. Refueling outages were also not great for salaried employees when money for overtime was not available (still expected to work long hours and received comp time instead of pay).

Advice to Management

Revamp the ERO system so that responsibilities can be lessened for each person. Try to keep employees more engaged with interesting or "exciting" work/projects. Ensure that the metrics and goals being tracked accurately reflect the needs and reality of the site.

"traditional electric utility"

Former Employee - Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bridgman, MI

I worked at AEP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AEp has been around long enough to be a reliable employer.
    AEP has relatively strong pay and benefits package.
    Office facilities are nice in home office, less attractive in plant assignments
    The company allows transfer between department and job assignments.

Cons

Workplace courtesy and respect does not get the emphasis that assignment completion gets.
    Front line supervisors have too much latitude to set their own personnel policies.
    Reflects nuclear industry trend of reducing engineer capability at nuclear sites in favor of offsite consultants.

Advice to Management

Benchmark industry to find out who understands how to get qualified people to accept supervisor and manager positions.

7. "Excellent company"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Bridgman, MI
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Bridgman, MI

I have been working at AEP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, low travel, great community

Cons

There is a lot of overtime.

Advice to Management

Increase staffing in some areas

"A little stifling - very stratified company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bridgman, MI

Pros

Compensation - if the company awards the incentive bonus - is quite high.
    If a person is interested in nuclear plant operation or maintenance, this is a great place to work.
    The location - for a nuclear plant - is a strong plus.

Cons

The company expects all employees to live for work. Don't let a relative in the hospital interfere with your job.
    It is often difficult to get vacation time. One might have to work 16 hour days to get a week off.
    Don’t expect recognition for a job well done.

Advice to Management

Management needs to speak with one voice Don't let dissent in supervision dilute priorities.

Stop killing yourself and expecting employees to do the same.

9. "Mechanical Engineer from Purdue"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bridgman, MI

Pros

I had a hard time in college deciding what I wanted to do with my life. I am a Purdue grad and I learned about AEP at the Engineering Round Table in 2005. I knew I wanted to do a rotational program and what could be better than working at a nuclear power plant? AEP let me hit the ground running and shape my own career. I was hired in with a group of engineers that became my best friends. My bosses are great listeners and instructors and every day on the job I learn something new. I don't feel restricted in my growth and I know this is a very stable company.

Cons

I don't always love when there are issues in the plant and it causes us to operate differently. Outages are good money but very tiring.

Advice to Management

My feedback would be that they are doing a great job in this unstable market.

"You can not find a better company than AEP"

Current Employee - Rotational Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Current Employee - Rotational Engineer in Bridgman, MI

Pros

AEP has so many great reasons to work there. The management and team I work with are so competent. I was afraid going into such a big company, but it has not been an issue at all. I get paid so well. The benefits are great and the career developement and safety standards are world class.

Cons

Sometimes management seems to only care about safety standards but I know that is necessary seeing as how we have to keep things safe in a not always so safe workign environment.

Advice to Management

I would re-evaluate some of the standards of safety breach disciplinary actions. Besides that, this job is better than anyone could ever ask for.