AEP Reviews | Glassdoor

AEP President & CEO Nick Akins
Nick Akins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours with no thank you or recognition (in 9 reviews)

• There are no cons for this company (in 7 reviews)

1. "Waistland"

Current Employee - Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AEP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're egotistical, you will get far. That's all it takes.

Cons

People that don't know anything about people are leading.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look, maybe you can see who really cares about the company and who is only out for themselves.

2. "Discrimination"

Current Employee - Engineer In Transmission in New Albany, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer In Transmission in New Albany, OH

I have been working at AEP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you good at dodging questions you will get far. Having a lot in common with your boss will get you far, even if you don't care about the job. If you do activities outside of work with you boss, you will get far.

Cons

Management plays the favorites game. Basically if your supervisor likes you will get to placed on some kind of special project that will lead to your promotion, even if you do half as much work as the person next to you.

Advice to Management

I think HR is oblivious to what goes on around there. It's the same people that get accolades year after year. It's obvious managers have very discriminatory practices. As a supervisor or manager how can you continuously give the same person praise year after year and another person unsuited reviews year after year? Isn't it the leaders responsibility to better their employee if they're not making the grade? But, it's because they don't hire the right leaders in the first place. I would be embarrassed if I were in a management position and the same employee was getting a promoted year after year while another was receiving unfavorable reviews year after year. That proves bad managerial skills to begin with! Look at the spread of raises managers give between their team of employees each year and you will see who is a good leader and who is not. It's a shame this day and age leaders still practice discrimination. Of course, they don't realize they're being discrimitory at all, their too novice at leading to know what it really means to be a leader. I honestly wish I never started my career here.

"Lacks diversity"

Pros

I would say the best thing about working there was the pay.

Cons

The company has absolutely no diversity so they mistreat anyone who is different, meaning not Caucasian. My supervisor was disrespectful, marginalized me daily and even threatened me. They boast that 'culture' is one of the pillars of the company but I guess that only applies the certain groups of people. If you are a person of color or have any differences (sexual orientation or religion) this is not the place to work. It is not an inclusive work environment.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and make sure that your reports are doing the same.

"DISCRIMINATION CITY"

Current Employee - Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AEP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you know how to just act like you know what you're talking abut you can get far.

Cons

if you are not outgoing, you will be stalled. The quality work you do does not matter. It's how well you can beat around the bush that really matters. It's not the people that actually care about the company and their projects that get promoted. It's the people that are NOT dedicated to their job that always seem to get ahead.

Advice to Management

You guys treat people different. ONLY "favorites" always get promoted. Supervisors are very prejudice against people they don't like and continuously give the $ to people they like. Your new "Culture" has created an environment of untrustworthiness amongst your employees. Kid's three years right out school becoming Sr Engineers? Really? They are so talented in engineering that they excelled to the class of people with many more years of experience? That shows the discrimination that goes on here. Its kind of discusting.

"Stay Away from Lawton"

I worked at AEP (Less than a year)

Pros

I truly and honestly have nothing positive to say about this company, especially not the Lawton, OK location.

Cons

Dangerous area, unsafe practices such as not working between grounds, and pitiful management. This isn't even a good place to get your foot in the door. They cycle through apprentices like crazy. They lost, at the very least, five in the last two years. In my opinion, this is no place for a family. Gang activity, drive-bys, home invasions, and murder. The areas that used to be safe are starting to decline according to residents in Elgin. Just search the news. Stay far away.

6. "Powerhouse Blues"

Former Employee - Mechanic in Moundsville, WV
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Moundsville, WV

I worked at AEP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The location and compensation were adequate. The medical benefits were excellent. The training as a mechanic and heavy equipment operating experience were beneficial. Safety is a value.

Cons

The Company policies in dealing with union employees in times of reduction in force is unconscionable and corrupt. The policies and procedures for plant operation are vague.

Advice to Management

Recognize the fact that employees are a company's greatest asset. More focus on a schedule that promotes the health of employees and less emphasis on the 21 turn "production" scheme.

"OVERATED!"

Current Employee - Engineering in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AEP full-time

Pros

Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio but many locations. There is a slight possibilty you can move around. Discount on your cellphone bill.

Cons

Everyone in Ohio thinks AEP is the place to work. WRONG! It was, now its a fanticy management would like you to believe . Do to the new "culture" movement AEP is breeding a highly competitive, back-stabbing, environment for its employees. Turn over rate is high for a fortune 500 because of this. You can't trust anyone, not even your own team members because each of them would't mind to see you make a mistake. Very political in nature for a utility company. Everyone is so infatuated with the idea of climbing the corperate ladder that they will do anything. I have never worked for a company that had so many miserable employees. It's only getting worse every year. Invest your life/career with another company.

Advice to Management

Most Supervisors and Managers are uneducated in the art of knowing how motivating their employees. Breeding compitition amongst your staff only creates bitter atitudes . This is not Silicon Valley. You are perpetuating a very untrustworthy environment for you employees that is caussing great people to be not as productive as they can.

8. "Not an employee friendly company"

Pros

401k matches up to 6 %

Cons

It is an environment where it is union departments against non union. If you are a union employee and want to advance into the corporate side, they will not even look at you as a candidate because you were a union worker. This came straight out of a supervisors mouth who was a friend of my father.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's.promote from within instead of hiring outside the company and instead of hiring a person because they are family or a friend's child.

9. "Billing Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at AEP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no earned time off. What ever time you need to take you are allowed to take (within reason).

Cons

If you are not friends with the right people you will have a hard time working here. Higher-ups take all the credit when someone else accomplishes something but when something goes wrong someone will be used as a patsy to take the blame. Also, that "unlimited" time off is closely scrutinized if you are not part of the "in" group.

Advice to Management

Get an all new management team that will appreciate the talent that you still have while you have them...

"Would not recommend to someone I love."

Former Employee - Equipment Operator
    Former Employee - Equipment Operator

I worked at AEP (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits

Cons

You are nothing to them but a number. Rotating shifts. Poor maintenance= Poor work environment. Divorce rate of swing shift workers was through the roof at my facility.

Advice to Management

Don't get into management their unless you are already miserable.