AEP Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
AEP President & CEO Nick Akins
Nick Akins

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance depends on the department you work in (in 4 reviews)

• Large company (pro or con pending your preference) (in 5 reviews)

"STAY AWAY! CUT THROAT CULTURE!"

Former Employee - Civil Intern in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Civil Intern in Columbus, OH

I worked at AEP (Less than a year)

Pros

Insurance plan is decent, but not the best. Flexible work hours. Able to take lunch break when you like.

Cons

I thank my lucky stars I had an internship with the opportunity to see what a job in engineering was really going to be like. When I first started my civil engineering internship my perception was this was to a great place to work. I discovered I was dead wrong! When I first started everyone put on a smiling face and told me great, until I mentioned I would NEVER coming back due to the horrible experience I had with my supervisor. Then the truth slowly fissled out. They told me the people that got promotions were the people that were best friends with their supervisor. if you weren't a part of that crowd then you got the short end of the stick on a yearly basis. They told me how for someone to get promoted, someone else had to get screwed. They told me how the past few years the pay scale changed from decent annual raises to more of a some kind of performance based incentive program, which meant people would have compete with the same people on your team. And there you have it! A cut throat culture was born!

Advice to Management

None, I will NEVER work for AEP! I feel so, so, sorry for the people that invested their careers with this company.

"Stay Away from Lawton"

I worked at AEP (Less than a year)

Pros

I truly and honestly have nothing positive to say about this company, especially not the Lawton, OK location.

Cons

Dangerous area, unsafe practices such as not working between grounds, and pitiful management. This isn't even a good place to get your foot in the door. They cycle through apprentices like crazy. They lost, at the very least, five in the last two years. In my opinion, this is no place for a family. Gang activity, drive-bys, home invasions, and murder. The areas that used to be safe are starting to decline according to residents in Elgin. Just search the news. Stay far away.

3. "Powerhouse Blues"

Former Employee - Mechanic in Moundsville, WV
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Moundsville, WV

I worked at AEP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The location and compensation were adequate. The medical benefits were excellent. The training as a mechanic and heavy equipment operating experience were beneficial. Safety is a value.

Cons

The Company policies in dealing with union employees in times of reduction in force is unconscionable and corrupt. The policies and procedures for plant operation are vague.

Advice to Management

Recognize the fact that employees are a company's greatest asset. More focus on a schedule that promotes the health of employees and less emphasis on the 21 turn "production" scheme.

"OVERATED!"

Current Employee - Engineering in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AEP full-time

Pros

Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio but many locations. There is a slight possibilty you can move around. Discount on your cellphone bill.

Cons

Everyone in Ohio thinks AEP is the place to work. WRONG! It was, now its a fanticy management would like you to believe . Do to the new "culture" movement AEP is breeding a highly competitive, back-stabbing, environment for its employees. Turn over rate is high for a fortune 500 because of this. You can't trust anyone, not even your own team members because each of them would't mind to see you make a mistake. Very political in nature for a utility company. Everyone is so infatuated with the idea of climbing the corperate ladder that they will do anything. I have never worked for a company that had so many miserable employees. It's only getting worse every year. Invest your life/career with another company.

Advice to Management

Most Supervisors and Managers are uneducated in the art of knowing how motivating their employees. Breeding compitition amongst your staff only creates bitter atitudes . This is not Silicon Valley. You are perpetuating a very untrustworthy environment for you employees that is caussing great people to be not as productive as they can.

6. "Not an employee friendly company"

Pros

401k matches up to 6 %

Cons

It is an environment where it is union departments against non union. If you are a union employee and want to advance into the corporate side, they will not even look at you as a candidate because you were a union worker. This came straight out of a supervisors mouth who was a friend of my father.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's.promote from within instead of hiring outside the company and instead of hiring a person because they are family or a friend's child.

7. "Billing Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at AEP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no earned time off. What ever time you need to take you are allowed to take (within reason).

Cons

If you are not friends with the right people you will have a hard time working here. Higher-ups take all the credit when someone else accomplishes something but when something goes wrong someone will be used as a patsy to take the blame. Also, that "unlimited" time off is closely scrutinized if you are not part of the "in" group.

Advice to Management

Get an all new management team that will appreciate the talent that you still have while you have them...

8. "Would not recommend to someone I love."

Former Employee - Equipment Operator
    Former Employee - Equipment Operator

I worked at AEP (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits

Cons

You are nothing to them but a number. Rotating shifts. Poor maintenance= Poor work environment. Divorce rate of swing shift workers was through the roof at my facility.

Advice to Management

Don't get into management their unless you are already miserable.

"Great place to acquire a bad attitude"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AEP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AEP does have a better than peer vacation policy. I've interviewed with four other utilities in the past 3 years and they are superior. 3 PDOs,6 months of sick pay, 2 weeks vacation when starting with an additional 8 hours for every year served up to 5 weeks.

Cons

recent compensation redesign is being used as a mechanism to limit promotions and stymie wage growth. merit increases that are less than inflation. Hourly employers consistently make more money than engineers and technologist. supervisors give the good old boys the lions share of the raises/bonuses while rooking junior employees. Bonuses are based on job class and therefore progressive in nature, however managers still rob from junior employees to give the senior employees more despite their higher percentage. EVP are making 2 million and up but are concerned with those who make 100k or less. They think they are worth 2-10 mil but we aren't worth minimum wage. Your not Tesla,Edison,Franklin,etc., A monkey could run a large regulated utility. Some Field employees are classified as salaried and forced to work hundreds of overtime hours that aren't compensated. That is the reason why hourly employees can make much more money than professional employees. My advice to anyone unfortunate to work here: use this place as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

Advice to Management

Quit concerning yourself with how overpaid you think the peasants are. You're not unique, you didn't invent electricity, you're not Elon Musk . If we weren't regulated we would go out of business in record time.

"Used to be a great company to work for, but, LEAN initiative and rounds of layoffs have gutted this company."

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

Compensation has been competitive. Cafeteria food isn't too bad.

Cons

Not enough employees for the jobs at hand, those that are left are overburdened with an extraordinary amount of work while new processes that must be followed come out almost daily. Management expectations are to work much non-paid overtime to make up for the employees who have been laid off. Short-sighted quarterly goals insure that a dime will not be spent today to save a dollar tomorrow. Employee morale is at an all-time low and having to work with them, on top of the incredible amount of personal work makes working there not just challenging, but nearly impossible.

Advice to Management

LEAN has not made us more efficient, but in fact has done quite the opposite. Business processes must be made more efficient, and money must be spent towards automating tasks that real people did. Thinking that the employees that are left can pick up all the extra work is completely unattainable.

11. "Horrible - Transmission Field Worker"

Former Employee - Substation in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Substation in Tulsa, OK

I worked at AEP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good medical plan but lousy dental and vision. The monthly costs you pay for the dental and vision coverage doesn't cover enough on certain procedures, you end up paying a large out of pocket sum.

Cons

Management is top heavy, one employee could have up to four supervisors at any time and with neither of them communicating with each other, confusion is always present. Most managers and supervisors have been given their positions by the "who you know" method and not by education or experience. The company continues to downsize to the point of overworking employees and enforcing a completion time for projects with minimum employees performing the work. This creates dangerous situations and impedes safety practices and if an accident does occur the employee is terminated. They say they have a "stop work" program, but if you invoke this practice the supervisors become infuriated and create inappropriate jobs for you to accomplish. They are only there to fill their pockets, not perform a service to the community.

Advice to Management

Train you managers better or send them packing