AFL Reviews | Glassdoor

AFL President & CEO Jody E. Gallagher
Jody E. Gallagher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Unprofessional work environment and employees (in 4 reviews)

• To earn big money you must work extremely long hours and there is constantly changing work parameters so the expectations are not always clear (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Employer ever"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Duncan, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Duncan, SC

I have been working at AFL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

True team spirit - everyone wants their peers to be successful and look out of each other. Potential of personal growth is real for anyone interested. I like the small town environment, which makes it easy to commute. Leadership members are present and easy to talk with.

Cons

After 6 months, I cannot see anything I do not like.

Advice to Management

With the obvious growth path AFL is moving towards to, Please continue to remain involved and present with the staff.

2. "First job in telecommunications"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, NC

I worked at AFL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, great team. Everyone worked together and enjoyed their job. You could work from home to avoid traffic and related inconvenience.

Cons

No significant raises in 18 years. No room for advancement. When they approved telecommuting they shut down the office, therefore there was no more interactions with employees.

Advice to Management

Provide field training

3. "Underemployment Pros"

Current Employee - Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Technician in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at AFL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is accurately set

Cons

Too much travel w/ insufficient compensation
    Not enough work hours provided
    Terrible communication between management and employees

Advice to Management

If you don't have work hours, tell your workers ahead of time and not the week of, especially if it's going to be a months worth of underemployment.

4. "Some good... But witnessed more bad."

I worked at AFL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and health insurance dental etc. Some there are very collaborative and very professional. Easy going leadership. very close cross functional working teams. company events. Company helps local community. Great Product and growing market. In Middle of restructure by AFL(Duncan) so I do see some changes in the Cons below.

Cons

-Unprofessional work environment and employees.
    -Profane language/discriminatory remarks out loud in office (calling people retards?) I was shocked!
    -Lack of cross-functional team leadership
    -Outdated internal technology and software
    -Very bad Team Leads Lack all Leadership skills
    -Leads are close with junior team members and bad talk other employees.
    -Departments Gossip very openly about customers personal and business issues.
    -Very little direction/ training for products, processes for current employees and new hires.
    -No real 30-60-90 day plan for new employees. it's 30 min with each dept. and go work.
    -Leads think yelling, down talking, belittling are acceptable ways to enable new hires to be successful.

Advice to Management

Senior Leadership: Yet very great people and true experts in their market. Need to identify what true leadership is within cross-functional teams and how to manage them successfully. There are people who are very good at their jobs and always get the job done, but lack true leadership and enablement skills and should not manage and you will see that in many departments. Don't just assume your leads know how to lead. Because what I experienced was just awful. Before Hiring realize some people leave good current jobs in hopes of career growth. have some proper training processes established not just impromptu meetings with people who don't have time or experience to train! provide leads leadership training classes drop the office culture we all are so close we refuse to help new-combers learn new processes vibe embrace mistakes and professionally correct them. I see alot of good happening but as the title states way more bad! hope it gets better I'm sure it will.

"Don't do it -- waste of time"

I have been working at AFL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a job, that is all.

Cons

They are paying half of what their techs are worth. Where I work the only thing they tell you is "pick up the pace". Never "good job". My manager is a total slave driver. Can't wait to turn in my notice.

Advice to Management

Like the old saying goes, " you get more bees with honey than you do with vinegar". And pay the people what they are worth since you brag on being a "billion dollar company".

6. "OSP Designer Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at AFL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

None that I could think.

"Production Supervisor"

I worked at AFL (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Associates on the production floor really want to produce the best quality possible. Willing to help wherever possible. Good cooperation from other departments when needed.

Cons

Micromanagement by the manager of my department. Supervisors in this department not empowered to make needed changes. Supervisors are not given critical communication about production changes. Manager often makes allows people to go home without communicating to the supervisors. Supervisors are not permitted to train associates when the opportunity arrives due to an inflexible training schedule. Supervisors miss opportunities to make affective changes due to micromanagement. Manager creates and adversarial atmosphere whenever involved in addressing issues with production, quality, management and other departments. Poor communication from top down.

Advice to Management

Value your associates ideas and address their concerns. 5 minute communication in the morning is not enough. Communicate to all, not just a few, associates and supervisors changes to priorities. Don't treat work like a prison. Talk to the associates on the floor as often.

8. "Decent Job, can be frustrating.."

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Steady and secure work. You get to work with cutting edge fibre technology. Many resources and depts to move across. There are opportunities to grow and find other jobs in company.

Cons

Poor organizational structure. Too much wasted time and energy on past projects. Bad habit of bowing down to largest clientele. Can be frustrating when unrealistic demands are placed on you.

Advice to Management

Listen to the the field workers and construction managers.

9. "Regional Area Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Office Automation in Duncan, SC
    Former Employee - Office Automation in Duncan, SC

I worked at AFL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Independent, professional, and free responsibility/access to dicisions

Cons

prone to sale of Brand

Advice to Management

To share their future goals on growth

"Eh"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at AFL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company with many departments.

Cons

Do not care much about their people. Dollar ranks higher.