AGLA Reviews | Glassdoor

AGLA Reviews

Updated February 7, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good training to start with and good pay starting off (in 4 reviews)

• The company had a pretty flexible schedule in the beginning, Before joining, I was told I can work when I want (in 3 reviews)

1. "Made good money."

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Nash, TN
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Nash, TN

I worked at AGLA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not bound to an office.

Cons

Being micro-managed and being pushed to sell flavor of the week.

Advice to Management

Don't promote because someone can sell ice to a eskimo, most likely he told them it was whale blubber.

"Great Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Financial Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Representative

I have been working at AGLA full-time

Pros

Great Learning Experience. Products offer are one of the best in the market. Fellow agents are helpful and nice.

Cons

100% commission, No support from management, pretty much a do it yourself type of company. If you have an established book of business then its a good place for you but if you seek a company to provide you leads or help you get clients, i wouldn't recommend this company.

Advice to Management

Try to help the little people, rather then pushing them to the side.

3. "Great learning experience for insurance sales professionals"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Shenandoah, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Shenandoah, VA

I worked at AGLA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our office was very friendly and worked well together. Company had very good insurance products for individuals and for company owners.

Cons

As in most sales companies there is always the pressure of starting the new month over again at -0- and working the meet monthly goals. Requirements to qualify for annual convention continued to rise faster than ability to reach that level.

Advice to Management

Don't give up too quickly on new sales force hires.

"Salesperson Erie, Pa"

Former Employee - Salesperson in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Erie, PA

I worked at AGLA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful Manager, Nice co-workers, good training. Was given previous worker's book of business to work from.

Cons

Found myself doing more "customer service corrections" than actual selling of Insurance! Straight commission sales, which isn't bad, unless you're spending your time CORRECTING past employee mistakes, then you starve!

Advice to Management

Better Training. Do **NOT** just keep "hiring and hiring" in hopes of sales that probably will never be!! Correct past mistakes!! Otherwise, new hires have little to NO chance for success!

5. "Great company!!"

Pros

I see all these people on her bitching about agla. I mean people who fail in this business are people who don't have the drive and determination to work this career. You have to work this job hard, and you have to dig and constantly see people.. A good agent never runs out
    Of referrals.. It's not the company's job to give referrals. It's the agents job to ask people for them. You have to learn and understand how to ask for referrals. You have to use the planner they give you and do exactly as your trained. You have to buy into the company. So if your not willing to give your life to the insurance business then this career isn't for you. My wife and kids love the company too. Ever since I've been at agla my family has everything the need and the things they want.. My income enables me to provide generously. I've made 100k every year I've been at agla. I'm a college grad with a bachelors in marketing. I chose this business cuz it's east money if you bust your butt, and your also helping families on a daily basis. You have to have a heart for people. I could write all day about the greatness of this company .. People who have negative things to say are the failures who didn't dedicate the time and didn't have the passion.

Cons

The underwriting does take a while but most if the time it's worth the wait.

Advice to Management

Try to join together and voice a concern for the slow underwriting process.

6. "Insurance Agent"

I have been working at AGLA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have my next Meeting Monday, so far so good

Cons

I have none at this time

Advice to Management

none

"Bait & Switch"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at AGLA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seems like you are getting lots of training, at least they spend a lot of time telling you they are training you. Actually they just do a lot of Rah Rah sessions where they make a big deal of all the current weekly sales, but not the acutal written cases and definately not the large number of rejected cases or take backs.

Cons

Every year they have a big push to hire new sales agents, they then race them threw a training, and push them into the field. 90% fail and eventually leave or are terminated. Any sales they made are left behind for the company to benefit from,

Advice to Management

Stop funnelling large numbers of employees threw the system and concentrait on developing long term employees. This will reduce the companies bump up each year for the new hires that make sales and then move on, but the retention rate will go up insuring both the company and agents of a long term income

"Headquarters has lost touch completely with their branch offices"

Former Employee - Marketing Administrator/Office Manager in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Administrator/Office Manager in Troy, MI

I worked at AGLA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best benefit package for clerical office workers around!!! Decent salary.

Cons

Insufficient help for the work load; ancient computers & systems; poor customer service; sales is ALL that matters.

Advice to Management

In in touch with your branches and their needs!

9. "Very difficult to qualify for permanent position"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Temecula, CA

I worked at AGLA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training and good meetings, keep you informed.

Cons

Slow and painful processing time for the policies.

Advice to Management

Improve communication with agents.

10. "Great Company to Build a Long Term Career"

Former Employee - Classic Agent in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Classic Agent in Nashville, TN

I worked at AGLA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unique product, Extensive training, Supportive team environment. AIG, the parent company,has generated several billion dollars of interest to pay back to tax-payers, by impressively buying back the majority of shares of stock the govt. bought in the bail-out in 2009. The company has a high level of integrity. AGLA has abundant cash reserves to cover all claims. All of it's policies include accelerated benefit riders that provide living benefits for critical, chronic and terminal illnesses.

Cons

CRM technology has been slow to be updated. Training sources need to be consolidated. Too much paper is utilized in daily transactions. Generating a consistent revenue stream has taken much longer than I anticipated.

Advice to Management

Stay the course you are on. Minimize paper transactions. Better synchronize the processing of application, underwriting and issue to reduce timeline.