AHAlife Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sebastian Kaufmann

"Amazing Opportunities for Growth and Development"

Current Employee - Email Marketer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Email Marketer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at AHAlife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Extremely talented, passionate, and hard working team.

-Paid vacation and great benefits.

-The company is technically a start-up but it operates at an advanced level. Lean and efficient.

-Surrounded by brilliant people that you can learn from.

Cons

It can be a bit stressful at times. You really have to be a hard-worker to enjoy your job. Don't come here if you're not willing to put your heart and soul into your work.

Advice to Management

1. You're doing almost everything perfectly.

2. We don't have to reinvent the wheel for every marketing initiative. There are many things that are unique and special about this company and what we offer. Sometimes we can just stick to time-tested principles and industry convention for effective marketing campaigns.

3. #BELIEVE

"What happened to Shauna Mei?"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at AHAlife part-time

Pros

The company must be a nicer place to work at now!
    Just noticed this on Ahalife's page on Australian Stockmarket site Hot Copper:

Remarkable statement below from AhaLife regarding its founder and former CEO Shauna Mei, and former President Sachin Devand (Shauna's husband).

This implies that Shauna Mei and Husband Sachin were milking their start-up for $600,000 in salaries plus a massive expense account in addition to huge stock option packages. Then upon being sacked, they are not even replaced. Their roles are simply filled by existing team members!

One wonders by who, or did they not add any value at all? The shareholders should make an enquiry.

Letter attached to ths thread from Ahalife on May 10, 2017:

"In addition, and in relation to future cash expenditure the Company has recently undergone a number of structural changes, including the departure of its CEO & President, whose roles were filled by existing team members, thereby reducing operating costs substantially."

Cons

Seems like the company may run out of cash any day now and be delisted from the Australian stock exchange. Market cap down to $4mm!

Advice to Management

Investigate what Shauna Mei and her husband were actually up to.
    Make sure the legacy of Shauna Mei ("Fake it until you make it") is visible to all.

"Fast Paced Startup Environment Great for Learning Through Doing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at AHAlife full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Ahalife is small team doing a lot of things, with each person carrying a good amount of responsibility. If you just want to be a small cog in a big machine, this is not the place for you. However, if you want to be a part of an environment where you can really control a large part of the business and where your ideas get heard (and often implemented too), then this is a great place to come.
    - Ahalife is also very innovative. It eschews some traditional standards of how an e-commerce company should be run, which is why it has managed to thrive despite many of its competitors not doing so well (while even acquiring some of its competitors). It's a great place to learn through doing and innovating; not learning by just reading a textbook. Highly recommended for people with lots of ideas and who like to experiment.
    - Fun, unique people! The current employees are a fun group of people who help to support each other. There's a lot of different personalities, which is great so that there's not an abundance of any one type of person. Also, they know how to have fun.
    - Health, vision, dental insurance for full-time employees. Generous employee discount. Company happy hour on Friday's.

Cons

- Office culture can be a bit cliquey

Advice to Management

- Keep employees motivated by challenging them to do more of what they're passionate about and what they want to learn, and provide opportunities for them to learn and grow more within the company.

"Shauna Mei fired with cause"

Former Employee - Trainee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trainee in New York, NY

I worked at AHAlife part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There might be some hope for the company now.
    $600,000 salary plus perks savings per year helps. Wonder which investors Shauna will fool next.
    Must read what poor Aussie shareholders are saying! Search for ahalife on the website hotcopper.

Cons

The cons left the company :) The worst experience.
    $50 million investor funds apparently already wasted. All management stock options cancelled as they both were fired with cause.

Advice to Management

Clean up the mess after Shauna Mei will not be easy. Make sure her legacy becomes widely known. Apparently her mantra is "fake it till you make it".

6. "Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at AHAlife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely fast paced. Agile. Quick decisions. Love that it promotes artisans from around the world. Thursday happy hours (drinks and snacks).

Cons

There's so much potential based on what the company offers and stands for. I think the company is still too young to discover its identity and are comfortable sticking to the toxic start-up label. Extremely high turnover rate. You'll be taking orders directly from the CEO, CTO and CFO on a daily basis, and sometimes they're conflicting. While it paves way for a agile environment where quick decisions are made, it leaves you at a position where you're simply taking orders and executing on them, and when things go south you'll be the one responsible.

Advice to Management

Build a team for the long run. Employees are your biggest asset - help nurture, protect, grow and value them.

"Personal Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at AHAlife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good team dynamics. Everyone works really well. Lot of enthusiasm based on the growth that has been experienced over last 12 months. Holiday season was the best ever!

I have personally grown and have seen most of my colleagues grow from the position they joined. If you have fire in your belly, you will be very successful here. There is no limit.

We just acquired a new company and have a few employees from there joined our team. The team is evolving into a really great mix of talent and creativity.

Cons

High growth fast pace might not be everyone's cup of tea. If you are looking for a job here make sure you meet existing employees and see if this is a fit for you. And do visit the office!

Advice to Management

Encourage more employees to step up more and take more ownership. Everyone is very excited and engaged leverage it more.

AHAlife Response

Mar 3, 2016 – CFO

Thanks! It's always great to get positive feedback. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write a review. We will take on board your advice and try to maximise the team's capacity to ... More

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at AHAlife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Happy hour on Thursdays and free lunch on Wednesdays

Cons

Bipolar CEO and gold digger "President". People walking out every week and girls crying every day. No respect for employees. Management has no experience.

Advice to Management

STOP WRITING POSITIVE REVIEWS ON THIS SITE. WE ALL KNOW IT'S YOU SICHIN TRYING TO UP THE RATINGS. STOP LYING TO YOURSELF AND BULLYING EMPLOYEES TO WRITE THEM FOR YOU. WORLD DOMINATION, AHASUCKS.COM

"Sweatshop Inc."

I worked at AHAlife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have free alcohol once a week. You'll be drinking heavily just to get by in a place like this.

Cons

Employees get no respect and the turnover is crazy. No real direction and there is a fire alarm mentality. Everything is a fire and has to be done at that moment..No real road map at all. Very long work hours with very little reward. If you need a job and get an offer take it. Its a paycheck..but start planning you exit from the first day you sit in that office chair.

Advice to Management

I've tried to write something constructive here but I'm at a loss for words...Um just try not to suck so bad.

AHAlife Response

Feb 29, 2016 – CFO

Hi. I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience with us at AHAlife. Sometimes the company just isn't right for the individual and we understand this. AHAlife is a very(!) fast growing company ... More

"Inflated egos rule this company"

I worked at AHAlife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great concept and it's rewarding to work with the artists featured on the site.

Cons

TERRIBLE management, with egregiously inflated egos guiding their conduct. Not lacking book-smarts, it doesn't translate to business EQ-- the complete lack of common courtesy there is embarrassing. Extremely unorganized and unprofessional, we'd watch as management rudely value their time above anyone else's time, including in outside meetings, interviews, etc.

The company is very poorly run as disorganization seems their preferred style. Management doesn't really know how to lead, and there are a lot of people with little-to-no previous experience in a corporate environment and expect work to be all foosball-and-chats over free snacks. Extremely frustrating! Workplace can be borderline hostile at times as management is outright rude and quick to point out faults and criticize but rarely turn the scope of self-reflection upon themselves to encourage their own growth. Very one-sided in that regard as management is very insular in work culture and their management style. The CEO and COO, although highly intellectual, lack interpersonal skills that allow them to lead efficiently and there is low morale because they put their own advancement above that of the growth within the company of their employees.

Advice to Management

The arrogance you display is astonishing: listen to your employees that have experience and utilize that to help-- don't just constantly be shooting towards lofty goals without developing a sound strategy that can be propelled by the experience brought by some of your more established employees. You talk extensively about those goals but you lack decisiveness and organization. Ahalife is a good concept and you have some great human capital on staff but your arrogance is going to deter any of that-- you created a great platform, not cured cancer. Get over yourselves and you might find that you can better grow the company.

"What is AHAlife & Should you work here?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I am just a humble employee who has worked at AHAlife for over an year. First and foremost, I must say, I am shocked by some of the reviews on this site. I don't know how and when people get time to pour so much negativity. I know some of them have been disgruntle ones, others I don't understand, perhaps lacking experience and maturity!

I can say proudly, I have been part of AHAlife's success thus far and continue to contribute towards it success as the company is reaching to new heights. This is a fact, that the company grew over 300% last year, this year is also on a similar path.

That being said, I can attest to some of the tough times company went through early last year when they did restructuring. It was a painful reality but something I feel was necessary because the company had too many initiatives in diverse areas, they needed to focus. I praise the CEO to have made this courageous, bold and rather unpopular move. Not something most leaders can do and most grass-root level employees can understand. As a result of this company culture was impacted.

Over the course of last 12 months, the company has hired some of the best in breed professionals and the company is on to a new start. The prospects of AHAlife are huge and I remain convinced and encouraged that this is one of the best technology companies to be part of.

In a rapidly growing company like this, smart, driven and mature professionals will always have a chance to grow and make an impact.

Cons

My biggest complain about AHAlife is that most of the employees in the company are junior in experience. Most of them don't quite understand what it means to work for a startup company. It is not all foosball and ping pong. They focus and complain about wrong things and are not strategic in their thinking at all. This I feel could be an opportunity for anyone who has experience and can lead such teams & individuals.

With some of the new director level people joining, this should be rectified.

Advice to Management

Hire slow, fire fast. Employees are your biggest assets. Make sure you vet whoever you hire. There have been some really bad hires in the past.