AHRC Suffolk Reviews | Glassdoor

Joseph Del Broccolo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Teacher Aide"

I worked at AHRC Suffolk full-time

Pros

Great kids and staff. A lot of fun and I miss it!!

Cons

I really can't complain about anything in particular!

Advice to Management

I'd love to come back to work!!

"Okay job for specific situations"

Former Employee - Community Integration Specialist in Bohemia, NY
    Former Employee - Community Integration Specialist in Bohemia, NY

I worked at AHRC Suffolk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here full time when I decided to go back to school online. It wasn't a very good job, but it was stable, relatively easy, and I had health insurance and holidays off. For my situation at the time I was lucky that this job existed. We had a big paid 2 week break at Christmas time!

Cons

This is a job for people who don't need a job too badly. Most of people who worked there relied on their spouse's income. Those who didn't either worked at least two other jobs, or they were delusional. It pays close to minimum wage. Another con is that management has an initial distrust of its staff. They spoke to their employees in very condescending tones and always and took defensive positions. It was as if they thought all of the employees were trying to "pull one over on them."

It's a non-profit, state funded position, which has it's perks as outlined above. The downside is that it's a slow moving bureaucracy, with little room for advancement. There are a few internal promotions you can apply for, but none with the kind of pay increase that will significantly affect your life.

Take this job if:
    Like me, you need something stable while you accomplish other career goals such as school.

You are married to someone who can support you and just need something to do.

You are unambitious, and okay with making close to minimum wage in one of the most expensive areas of the country.

Advice to Management

I ultimately liked all of the managers. I would say have a little more faith in your employees, and remember that they are adults. Sometimes it felt like the boss was the principal trying to keep rowdy teenagers in line. I'm not sure if that speaks more the employees or the management, but I think giving your employees the benefit of the doubt and dialing back the disciplinarian tone would make the atmosphere better.

3. "Specialist"

I have been working at AHRC Suffolk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company, decent time off

Cons

Some upper management have more that one job title which can cause conflict, less overall supervision and lack of timely communication.

4. "AHRC Suffolk Knickerbocker"

I have been working at AHRC Suffolk full-time

Pros

Great hours and great benefits

Cons

Low pay, some employees do not care about their job

"Discussted"

Current Employee - CIS in Bohemia, NY
    Current Employee - CIS in Bohemia, NY

I have been working at AHRC Suffolk full-time

Pros

Time off. Staff is really supportive of one another.

Cons

Let me just say "Let's bring in Chanel 12"

Advice to Management

We know you are pocketing all the money. We are still waiting for the money we were due last year.....pay US!!!!For those who are looking into applying into this day program BEWARE!!!! This job is a quick fix and that's it.......Move on there is nothing here. I live the individuals but I live my family more. We need our money........At some point someone will notify the state of what's going on.........

"Direct Care"

Current Employee - Direct Care
    Current Employee - Direct Care

I have been working at AHRC Suffolk full-time

Pros

Time off and Vacation some staff like family

Cons

The pay is absolutely ridiculous. I have Worked at AHRC OVER 7 years and have not gotten a raise. There are people who have worked here for over 10 years w the same pay. No Christmas bonuses for the past 3 years. The CEO Bill is greedy and doesn't care about the participants at all, he just wants to pocket as much for himself as possible. Staff expected to do more then their share of work for litterally crap pay.

Advice to Management

If you give a damn about this place then you need to keep staff happy, it seems like Bill doesn't care that AHRC is a revolving door and no one wants to work because the pay is so poor. I don't understand how this place is still up and running.
    How can the higher ups expect anyone to survive on this pay while Bill is raking it in.

7. "DSP"

Former Employee - DSP in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - DSP in Huntington, NY

I worked at AHRC Suffolk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job,you give-get no raises,never praised,the person hired years after you many times will start at a higher rate then you are making,if you question why they tell you it's company policy not to talk about salaries ,if you don't like it leave

Cons

Too much to list,work your butt off and they don't care

Advice to Management

No advice,they won't listen anyway

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Bohemia, NY
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Bohemia, NY

I worked at AHRC Suffolk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of sick time, feel good work, get to go on vacation and see movies and go out to eat all while getting paid

Cons

new management and new directors aren't very cooperative, pay is very very very low, supervisors take the fall for everything and DSPs are protected, memo about raises was given to everyone in the agency, but the raise is only going to be given to certain staff

Advice to Management

remember that the people who work here aren't doing it for the money and that many of us work a lot of extra hours without any pay at all to try to get all of our work done and comply with regulations that seem to change daily. Why not try to see things from the vantage point of your employees? Trust them to do their jobs without micromanaging them. Stop being racist and treat all your staff equally. I worked here for 10 years and it used to be much better with the old management before Bill Leonardi, Dawn Sagan, and Linda Bruno.. it used to be a place I wanted to come to work.

"CEO must go!!"

Former Employee - Facilities Manager in Bohemia, NY
    Former Employee - Facilities Manager in Bohemia, NY

I worked at AHRC Suffolk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok that's about it

Cons

you will only be respected if you do personal work for the executives

Advice to Management

Step down and let someone save the agencey before it's too late

"Direct care beware!"

Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Old Field, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Old Field, NY

I worked at AHRC Suffolk part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits for part time employees. OT work holidays.

Cons

Working at Old Field was a nightmare. The Supervisor had favorites and treated employees that were Hispanic or African American poorly. Theyd have to clean while her favorites did fun activities. An employee was beaten by a client and Supervisor waited an hour to call an ambulance! Then they fired the employee so they couldnt sue; just sick.

Advice to Management

When employees are trying to give you a heads up about house supervisors listen to them! Provide cultural training or remove Sups that discriminate against employees. Also, I have seen clients get mistreated and if your the Sups friend she wont report you. This shouldnt happen anywhere Sup shouldnt be friends with certain staff and allow mistreatment.