AIG Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Summer Internship"

Current Intern - Summer Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Summer Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at AIG as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of Opportunity for Networking and a lot of benefits as an Intern. Management wants us to learn, and invests a lot in getting us acclimated to working with the company. After 2008, the company has worked hard at bringing in new talent, and are doing a good job at redefining their values as a corporation.

Cons

The company is quite possibly the worst when it comes to technology. Their IT systems are so slow that it halts their entire operations.

Advice to Management

Enhance the IT in the company.

"AIG"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Variety of assignments and opportunities. New CEO says all the right things. Solid business strategy. Change in CEO was needed.

Cons

18+ months of staff reduction has led to further turnover after bonus payout. Morale low, people overworked and burnt out.

Advice to Management

There are too many strategists and not enough focus on executing.

"Underwriter"

Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Boston, MA

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, flexibility, location, nice co-workers

Cons

Everything is data/analytic driven rather than letting us underwrite a risk, there is no senior management with an underwriting background, everyone is leaving due to new CoE process in India and account rating strategy, upper management is detached and has no idea or pretend not to know how miserable everyone is. Morale is terrible and they can't get anyone of quality to fill open positions because everyone in the industry knows that AIG is a mess.

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO with an underwriting background, give raises!!

"AIG Review"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Boston, MA

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people who work there are great. They have a.generous vacation package.. There are opportunities to work at home if one desires. Varied type of claims. Opportunties to travel if one desires

Cons

There is no administrative staff who used to be a huge help. Doing administrative tasks takes away time from one's everyday claim responsibilities.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management. They do what they have to do based on directives from the New York office. .

"Overall Loved Experience with AIG"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

- Awesome people. I can't stress that the majority of people in the company are fantastic. Everyone that I worked with is down to earth, hard working, and always willing to help you out
    - Amazing PTO system and flexibility at the company
    - Ability to move around the company/get exposure to different departments if you want that option. Large international company has it's perks if you want to be relocated or try a new city

Cons

- Company software/technology is horribly outdated. Nothing ever ties out and you spend the majority of your day reconciling numbers to try and get a sense of what's going on.
    - Sleepy atmosphere at times
    - Carl Ichan letter to AIG significantly lowered the company's morale. Lay offs, restructuring, and expense saving measures had everyone on their toes.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology/software in the company. Some steps are certainly being made but the majority of departments are still left frustrated using outdated software and equipment.

"Heading wrong direction"

Former Employee - Underwriting Technician/Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Underwriting Technician/Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at AIG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefit package, flexible work hours. Good co-workers.

Cons

Changing directions rapidly, even the direct managers have no clues. Bad management. Used to be a very good company but went downhill after Peter Hancock took over.

Advice to Management

Keep changing directions too fast and too often; the employees are not trained properly and not ready. Even managers admit they have no clue what is going on.

7. "supportive management"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in the Boston office and I can't say enough good things about the people I work with and the people I work for. Management could not be more supportive when it comes to work/life balance. A lot of companies spew hot air knowing this is a hot button item but these guys walk the walk. We are permitted to work from home as many days as we would like which is a pleasure. The offices are bright and easy to get to via public transportation. No micromanagement. Managers treat team members as the adults we are- no one breathing down your back. Do your work and you'll be left alone. Don't do the work and pay the consequences. A pleasure to work here. Also they encourage transfers within the company.

Cons

No raises- but its balanced by nice bonuses. The claims system is cumbersome. Health benefits are changing come Jan 1 but thats more a (failed) Obamacare issue than a company issue.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing!!

AIG Response

Aug 25, 2016 – Digital Strategist and Producer

Thank you for your feedback; we're happy to hear you enjoyed your co-workers and our benefits. We continually strive to provide the best work environment possible for all AIG employees.

"Opportunity, but tough road"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Never boring. Never relaxing. Conflict between operations and corporate make for a rocky sea. Never really clear who is driving the bus. But for those that can make decisions and operate with little guidance, a real opportunity to see how good you are.

Cons

Lack of certainty and clarity on direction.

Advice to Management

Pick a plan, and stick with it beyond the current quarter. Maybe plan out all the way to, say, half a year.

9. "The staff is like a family"

Former Employee - Claims Operations Analyst in Roslindale, MA
    Former Employee - Claims Operations Analyst in Roslindale, MA

I worked at AIG (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are an extended family. A diverse group of courteous, good-natured employees.
    Did not experience the cattiness that can exist.

Cons

Difficult to move between departments - in other words don't accept any position just to get your foot in the door

Advice to Management

Reconsider hiring individuals from other departments over hiring outside candidates

"Restructuring currently"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team to work with. Can be a great place to start a successful career. Have enjoyed the majority of my time.

Cons

The current restructuring is incredibly drawn out and reflects poorly on management. It appears that the direction is not clear and nearly everyone is on edge.

Advice to Management

Many benefits were reduced to be more "competitive" with the current job environment. It is OK to have better than average benefits. It makes people feel like they are working for a good company even if their salary isn't competitive in the current job environment.

Showing 23 of 3,094 reviews