AIG Reviews | Glassdoor

AIG President and Chief Executive Officer Peter Hancock
Peter Hancock

2,451 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance needs to be there (in 54 reviews)

• Substantial changes over past few years in senior management have been detrimental for employees in general (in 74 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Endless opportunities if you're up for a challenge"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The one reason I decided to work at AIG were the endless opportunities. I keep my eyes open and ears perked for projects that I could get involved in or I come up with new ideas that create buzz. I work on a great team that values diversity and agility in opinion and creativity. Each day is an adventure .... in a good way. I would recommend AIG as an employer to consider.

Cons

As in any large corporation, 'process' always gets in the way. Process has slowed my role down more often than not. Patience and collaboration is necessary for this to work well.

AIG Response

Nov 30, 2016 – Digital Strategist and Producer

We always appreciate feedback from employees. Thank you and feel free to let us know more about how we can continue to improve.

2. "Overall Happy."

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor. in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor. in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

It is very similar to running your own business. I have a lot of freedom to make sure I do right by my customers. All of the management team has been promoted from lower positions. This company is very strong on promoting from within. I am a young supervisor, but they took a chance on me even though I don't have a lot of management experience.

Cons

Bad employees are feared by management. They fear that they will get sued. Good employees are held to consistent procedures, but exceptions are made for the bad employees. I have employees that have been on multiple written warnings, but have never been fired (just more warnings).

Advice to Management

Fire the bad employees. They are frustrating the rest of us. I would also like to add that they should keep the supervisors off of the phones because it keeps the support away from the employees that need them.

3. "Allstate Workplace Division"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Good people, good management, it's a nice place to work. There is a good amount of work/life balance, management is supportive. Increasing technology at the company has been a great help in streamlining processes and increasing productivity. The location is great as well.

Cons

They're not the top in the salary department, but other compensation such as benefits make up for that. The only other thing is that we don't typically have casual Fridays (only for special events and funraisers) while most companies do. Not a big issue, but just a tiny pet peeve.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your employees informed with how the company is doing. It goes a long way while so many people are struggling with this rough economy. Many people worry about their jobs and they need to know that the job will be there tomorrow. Also, consider a small, across the board pay raise to boose morale.

5. "AIG is a great stepping stone for a great future."

Current Employee - Summer Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Summer Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

AIG supports what makes there employees and clients happy.

My Internship was great for me and made me realized how I can be professional and still have a close relationship with my managers. Here are some marketing concepts you will gain while working at AIG.

To provide an overview of the theories, concepts, strategic thinking, and processes involved in international marketing. This course fosters the development of the analytical skills necessary for evaluating international-marketing environments and developing appropriate strategies for international corporate growth. Meets the International Area requirement for the Business Administration core (all majors), with faculty advisor permission. BABA/BSBA General Business major specified elective.

Cons

The compensation can be better. I also feel like the company could be more organized and AIG needs to be more firm on who they bring into the company. thats it!

Advice to Management

Support your team and give feedback.

6. "AIG Underwriting"

Current Employee - Underwritting Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Underwritting Technician in Chicago, IL

Pros

The feeling of stability. You get recognition for going above and beyond what is expected of you. They will give you every chance to develop your career. I feel my management is very knowledgeable and easy to get along with. Everyone in my department is willing to help and teach me so that I can fully understand what I am doing.

Cons

When it rains, it pours. The company match for the 401K plan does not maximize your investment potential until you have been at the company 10 years. Medical and other benefits are in line with what my peers are offered in other offices. You are unable to access your personal benefit statement at home. If you want to make changes, you need to do it at work. Sometimes that makes me feel like my privacy is being invaded, whether its by IT security's abilty to see personal and private information, or from people walking by my cube.

Advice to Management

Get us out of this financial mess and get back on track with the stock. Ed Liddy seems like a very good choice for our new CEO. Hopefully his tenure with AIG is long term.

7. "Best company I've worked for, will never go back to work for one of the Big 4 accounting firms."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

AIG is a fantastic company to work for. First of all, thesalary is competitive and the working hours are flexible. You can come in at 9 and leave at 5 or you can come in at 8:30 and leave at 4:30--great for those with kids.I for one welcome the fact that we don't have to track every single hour as I did in the accounting field.

The management is very friendly and professional. Everyone is there to help you and I've never experienced the level of arrogance and attitude experience in the accounting world.

Cons

Getting access to information owned by other groups.

Advice to Management

Create a strong Risk Management department to make sure the company doesn't go down again.

8. "Strong and respectable company"

Current Employee - Financial Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Planner in New York, NY

Pros

good benefits - medical/life/pension etc.

strong and solid image. The location is convinient and very easy to get to as a commuter.

Cons

I havent experienced any negative aspect while working for AIG. Although commuting to this location is easy, the cost is a little high.

Advice to Management

I think AIG's talent pool with the management ranks has been instrumental to AIG's growth during these tough economic times.

9. "Extremely satisfying until government came in the door"

Former Employee - Vice President Operations in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Vice President Operations in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Family atmosphere, life long learning.

Cons

Recent Governmental takeover and recent economy downturn forced layoffs.

10. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Corporate Security Management in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Security Management in Houston, TX

Pros

a great balance of work vs. home life. AIG always had programs, incentives and rewards for its employees.

Cons

Mid level managers' compensation ( a little too slow to get raises)

11. "Great Experience, Top Notch Company"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

AIG is a great place to work

*Good benefits
    *Excellent Management
    *Focused team
    *Compensation can be excellent.
    *Great individual teams.

Cons

Bureaucracy like anywhere else.
    Focused on the bottom line.
    Benefits have been trimmed back.
    Many layoffs.
    Government is involved in the business now.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and you will be great again.

Showing 2,451 of 2,629 reviews