AIG Reviews | Glassdoor

2,450 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,450 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance needs to be there (in 54 reviews)

• Substantial changes over past few years in senior management have been detrimental for employees in general (in 74 reviews)

"Process callbacks, process requests, escalated calls, fix financial transactions, assist agents."

Current Employee - Csr1 in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours, flexible, understanding, and there are advancement opportunities available. I love my job, I just wish we were paid more.

Cons

The pay is low for the work expected without annual raises. They don't give merit raises or cost of living raises, and the bonuses are contingent on company performance not your own.

Advice to Management

Give raises annually based on merit or at least cost of living

"AIG needs to care about its employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The flexible working hours and the option to work from home for one to two days a week is great.
    2. Initial pay when hired.
    3. 401k and benefits are good.

Cons

1. No raise or promotion for years, even though the cost of living keeps increasing. The only way to get a promotion at AIG is to transfer to another team. Management don't care about the high turnover rate and I was shocked as I came from a tech company. When you tell your manager you have a job offer, at a tech company your manager will most probably ask why you are leaving or even provide a retain-offer. Here at AIG, your manager will ask:"Ok, so when is your last day?"

2. When I go to a service unit in AIG (HR, IT, etc), I kind of fill I am in DMV. People keep talking to colleagues without noticing you or talking to you like you are an idiot. The low efficiency is everywhere. Image it takes over a month to get a replacement microwave or a hot water fountain that breaks again in two weeks! You keep hearing from senior people in the company say that "yeah, this is AIG", which makes me feel really bad because obviously people here have gotten used to the government-style low efficiency at AIG.

3. Senior management care about the board, wall street, their own bonuses, but not the future of the company, or the employees. Replacing the CEO or any senior management without changing the way AIG does its business will not save AIG. Underwrting strategy is just one of the examples. A changing industry environment (soft market to hard market or the other way around) will only make it worse, or just cover up the problems that will emerge again in the future.

3. "Good for a start"

Current Employee - Account Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy going environment, procedures are constantly changing, great start to understand insurance and get involved in the field

Cons

The constant updates , with a patchy system

"Good place to start your career. Bad place if you're ambitious and want to move up the corporate ladder."

Current Employee - Claims Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Claims Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will receive a lot of training that will be marketable elsewhere. Also, if you stick around long enough your superiors will resign, be transferred or get terminated and you will have an opportunity to be promoted.

Cons

No raises. Limited promotions. Low salary. High turnaround. Upper management is keenly aware of these issues, but oddly they are not motivated to resolve them.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunity for growth and expansion, give raises (at least cost of living increases) and treat your employees with dignity. That way you will be able to retain talent (assuming that is your objective)

"Too much change, too many strategies, not enough of right people, not enough conviction"

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits are good. pockets of people are great. people want to do the right thing, but do not know or have the support to do so.

Cons

exec leadership in IT is terrible. Started with most recently departed CIO who brought in all his people who did not listen and understand the business insurance. His guys brought in their people and further watered down the business knowledge. Unwillingness to learn and listen got us where we are today.

Advice to Management

Bring in TRUE leaders, not pretenders who come here and take millions in salary and severance. Hard working folks who remain are the blood life of this company, bring in leaders who inspire and guide, instead of those who, with all their experience, bring in high dollar consultants who know NOTHING about the industry to 're-org' our company. Shame on you if you all allow this to continue.

"Work satisfaction and contentment are completely dependent on the team you're on, and the people you know."

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Notoriety and reputation brings some of the best talent onboard. In my 20+ year career (5 at AIG), I've learned that you can teach an old dog new tricks - as long as you're on the right team.

Cons

Old school mentality within senior leadership. Not flexible with work from home, although they tout this as one of their main perks. Haven't had a raise since I started even with solid performance reviews every year, but the cost of living and commuting to Wall Street has increased. Won't pay for my certification upkeep or any new certification even when directly related to my job - states no budget but leadership still seems to have enough money to host offsite sessions around the world. And bonuses? Lets just say that favorites or people who are connected seem to get the biggest piece of the pie.

Advice to Management

We're the ones that you step on to line your pockets and make AIG what it is. We've brought AIG back from the dead and what do we get? Quarterly RIFs, flat bonus and no raises. Promotions? Not unless you leave your team and come back because they need you. There's a reason why talented staff are jumping ship like its on fire and why I don't know ANYONE in my group not looking for a new job!

"Sinking ship, no value placed on talent and everyone is expendable"

Former Employee - Remote Resolution Technician in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Remote Resolution Technician in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at AIG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits package is good, lots of PTO days, parental leave, etc. Probably one of the best packages I've seen.

Cons

You will not be valued at all. No matter how effective and efficient you have been, there are no raises, they find any way they can to screw you out of your bonus, and mid-level management does whatever they can do to sabotage your opportunities for growth. The company is looking to cut costs wherever possible and no one is safe.

Advice to Management

Treat people with dignity. At the end of the day, you need good people to make the company profitable.

"Underwriter"

Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Boston, MA

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, flexibility, location, nice co-workers

Cons

Everything is data/analytic driven rather than letting us underwrite a risk, there is no senior management with an underwriting background, everyone is leaving due to new CoE process in India and account rating strategy, upper management is detached and has no idea or pretend not to know how miserable everyone is. Morale is terrible and they can't get anyone of quality to fill open positions because everyone in the industry knows that AIG is a mess.

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO with an underwriting background, give raises!!

"SEC Reporting"

Former Employee - Accounting Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accounting Associate in New York, NY

I worked at AIG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The cash makes the people and atmosphere semi bareable

Cons

Most of management is awful, but the hours were worse!

Advice to Management

Get new management :)

11. "Marketing Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at AIG part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great internship that provides AMA Ings opportunities and helped develop me as a strong leader today. The environment is very diverse and all employees ideas are accepted.

Cons

Pay could be higher but it's still not bad.

Advice to Management

Higher pay. Internship salary is now competitive.

Showing 2,450 of 2,628 reviews