AIT Worldwide Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
AIT Worldwide Logistics President and CEO Vaughn Moore
Vaughn Moore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great co- workers and work facility" (in 3 reviews)

• "From The Executive Management team, down to the "troops" in the field" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Extremely long hours, poor PTO structure, literally ZERO work-life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "Opportunity to improve their benefit package, 401k match and continued development of their employees" (in 3 reviews)

"Great Work Place!"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Itasca, IL

I have been working at AIT Worldwide Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Versatility, Growth, Family, Individuality & Loyalty

Cons

Nothing I can think of...

2. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at AIT Worldwide Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good management team, empowerment, growth

Cons

Need more systems development better benefits

Advice to Management

Add IT staff , keep hiring great people , keep the current focus

"Great co-workers, but low wages, high stress, and very long hours"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Itasca, IL

I worked at AIT Worldwide Logistics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Desk level co-workers are great, you really start to feel like family. Challenging work, no 2 days are the same. Nice fundraisers.

Cons

Where to start. Expect little to no raises for YEARS at a time. Quarterly Bonuses are extremely subjective and not enough to offset the low wages. Extremely long hours, poor PTO structure, literally ZERO work-life balance. You absolutely will work a normal schedule on Christmas Eve, etc. "Too many cheifs and not enough Indians" and a Boys Club workplace - every man seems to be a Director or VP of something. Doesn't promote women (just view their leadership team, one female, and it's been like that for 20 years). Managers and Sales reps do not, I repeat, DO NOT have your back on anything yet micromanage everything. The customers treat you like a whipping boy and have meltdowns and it's all your fault and "why didn't you do x-y-z to pacify them." Favoritism runs rampant.

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they are worth! $0.45/hour raises after 3+ years of 55 hour work weeks should embarrass you. Stop the hardcore micromanaging. Recognize women are great contributors!

Feb 15, 2019 – VP of HR

Thanks for your post. We're disappointed to read about your displeased feelings. We do agree with you on one thing - our people is what makes AIT a great workplace! As a former teammate, it sounds... More

4. "Many ongoing positve changes and growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I worked at AIT Worldwide Logistics (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees all ages including older workers
    Managers and owners more open to employee feedback. Planters throughout the office, good coffee and a popcorn and game room for employees. Emplyess from diverse cultures and backgrounds

Cons

Changes have continued however slowly and
    many good. employees have left

Advice to Management

Keep going and growing and moving foward with openess and valueing employees

"Good company that took a sharp left turn"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at AIT Worldwide Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have some talented and tenured operators that made the company successful and appreciated by many former customers

Cons

Leadership is very poor particularly in the sales department

Advice to Management

Put the right leadership in the right positions or you will continue to lose very talented people. If you lose more than half your team in one region, you may want to ask yourself why or listen to the feedback.

Aug 21, 2018

Thanks for your post. We're disappointed to read about your displeased feelings. As a former teammate, it sounds perhaps the picture you painted isn't what we see today. We have made decisions to... More

"Don’t believe the reviews."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I have been working at AIT Worldwide Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company did a private equity deal that they are trying to bury. The leadership is lacking. I disapprove of the CEO.

Cons

Poor leadership team. Pretending to care is not caring. With Equity deals they don’t put money and investment into people.

Advice to Management

Lead don’t pretend you are caring about people when you are not.

Aug 21, 2018 – VP of HR

We have definitely made changes over the past few years with the focus to continue AIT's growth strategy. Change is necessary, especially when implementing processes and procedures to resolve the... More

"Just another job"

I worked at AIT Worldwide Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a close knit working environment.

Cons

Low valuation of employees, accordingly raises are few and far between.

"Enjoyed the job, enjoyed the people"

I worked at AIT Worldwide Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a job. Check cleared. The quarterly bonus was nice. People worked with were amazing.

Cons

Where to start.... for the first year or so the supervisor (who is no longer there. She quit) who over seen the department had no clue how to assist anyone in the department. She was never there. Found out she was having an affair with a married manager which is why she got away with so much. On top of that there were no reviews, no raises, insurance went way up, HR doesn’t know much of anything. The hours were long but doable.

Advice to Management

Management is finally changing from what I have been told. My advice to HR is learn who your people are. Do not make up lies about people once they leave. When the truth is given to you don’t make it a problem especially since all of HR is new.

Aug 21, 2018 – VP of HR

Thanks for your post. We're disappointed to read about your displeased experience at AIT. We've made some difficult decisions along the way to ensure we have the right team and right strategy in... More

"Great Company Overall - Itasca (Chicago) Station, Not so Much"

Former Employee - Management in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Management in Itasca, IL

I worked at AIT Worldwide Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was great to work for a company that was doing well when so many forwarders are not. Being in the corporate office made getting things done easy and it's easy to be noticed by all levels of leadership for a job well done. The executive team is engaging and present (and sometimes hands out ice cream). If you're looking for job, not a career, this may be a great place to work (speaking of Itasca specifically). Compensation was at market, but it took negotiating to get there and not all employees are compensated well.

Cons

My initial title to this review was going to be "a big company that doesn't know how to be big," but not having a lot of insight outside of Itasca, I cannot directly comment on the company as a whole. However, that statement does hold true for Itasca. I believe the company is taking steps to support continued growth, but at the time I left, there was still a lot of change in the works. I found that local leadership valued employee tenure and longevity over performance - employees that have been there 20+ years have too much influence over a company that has outgrown their limited skills. Sales team sells one thing: price. While the company is growing, Itasca has positioned itself to be a victim of poor local leadership, stagnant growth and reluctance to change. The environment can, at times, be abrasive and downright unprofessional. I do hope that those behaviors are curbed - it was too wide spread in the Itasca office to be an individual issue. While the company preaches work-life balance, being in management left nothing of a life - at the desk-level, that may be true, but beyond that, expect to be married to your job. The cost of insurance was only increasing and much higher than what is offered by direct competitors. At the time I left, turnover was also at an unsustainable level.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat your employees well, but understand that the cost of insurance puts you at a direct disadvantage. Take a critical eye to your team in Itasca. Longevity might mean loyalty to AIT, but it doesn't mean every one is in the right role for them or the company.

Aug 21, 2018 – VP of HR

Thanks for letting us know what you enjoyed about working at AIT. We do know that change is hard as we continue to grow as an organization. We continue to look for ways to invest in our future by... More

"Over worked, under paid, lead on!"

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at AIT Worldwide Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people within my own station were a joy to work with - some of us were close like family and I have kept in touch with many former colleagues.

Cons

Over worked and not properly compensated for the time put in. I did not have a raise for the last 3 years I was with the company, despite my department having consistent growth in both revenue and profits year over year. I begged for help and only after a year plus of begging was I finally given some relief. Upper management talked a big game about work-life balance, but talking is all they did. Meanwhile, many of them had plenty of time out of the office with their families while the rest of us were working late into the evening.

I was told corporate considered my profit share bonuses my raise, but we all know profits don't last forever and the economy will eventually affect that. It is extremely unfair for the employees to pay the price when bad times come around again. My base cost of living rises every year - as does everyone's - so not getting a raise in 3 years was basically a pay cut each year. Other employees told me they had never received a raise and some had been with the company for 5-7 years or more. I was consistently told by my managers and directors I was one of, if not the best operator in the company and my department never had the recurring issues other departments had, but they never showed it with proper compensation.

A private equity firm bought into the company last year and it seems as if things began to change after that. The company has lost its way culturally. They like to make a big deal about company culture, but their execution was way off. There were a lot of inter-departmental turf wars and stations many times only looked out for themselves with no regard to sister-stations - there were exceptions to this, but not often.

Regarding benefits, the 401k match was very mediocre at best and you aren't fully vested for like 5 years I think. I was STUNNED at how expensive the health insurance was when I started working there. As a single person expect to pay at least $500 a month out of your own pocket and as a family you will need to take on a second job! Factor the high out of pocket health insurance costs into your initial salary negotiations - I wish I had!

Advice to Management

Don't just talk about caring, actually show you care. One of the best ways to do this is with your check book. Properly reward and compensate your star employees - they will perform better and stick around longer!