AJ Madison Reviews | Glassdoor

AJ Madison Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2019

Found 17 reviews

1. "Sr Director eCommerce Merchandising"

Current Employee - Senior Director ECommerce Merchandising in New York, NY

I have been working at AJ Madison full-time for less than a year

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment Engaging work Ability to make a difference quickly Smart dedicated colleagues Great learning opportunities Supporting management Excellent human resource team

Cons

Work life balance is harder to achieve especially at higher management level

AJ Madison2019-07-02
  2. "OK money, terribe morale, location, and organization"

Former Employee - Sales Administrator in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at AJ Madison full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They've got the money, so they can pay a good salary if you negotiate well. And if you're in sales, the money practically makes itself. The owner is hardcore Jewish, so you get all the major Jewish holidays off (paid), but they don't make too many allowances if standard bank holidays (still paid) fall, say, in the middle of the week. There's no micromanaging, but that falls more into the Cons section.

Cons

Management gives zero support or guidance, so while it's nice that there's no micromanaging, but with no guidelines to follow, everything is all over the place. This is especially true with how horrible their website user experience is, and with how they treat the web team overall. They don't care about your growth or happiness. And, the office is in a terribly dumpy and ugly section of Brooklyn which would be tough... for commuters, especially if you drive. If you take the train, you only have the F or G train, and then you have a 10-15 minute schlep to the office.

AJ Madison2019-07-25
  3. "Not Awful, But Not Great"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at AJ Madison full-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid lunch and breaks 30 minute lunch, 20 minute break. Great for getting your toes wet. If you are looking for a position to get your start on customer service, this is a great place to start. It deals with larger appliances, so you will get a feel for what customers on the other end is feeling and thinking. As for only wanting people that look like them (Jewish) NO. They are an EEO. They hired me. The office... closes at 5 on Fridays.

Cons

The commute train/ drive is not worth it. It was a 1.5 hour drive sometimes to and from work. 3 hours if it was by train. Parking is terrible. The pay, for the customers we have to deal with, it needs to be more. The people in the CS dept, are rude, and have no etiquette.

Advice to Management

Increase your staff pay to encourage employees to stay. Allow more training, and the opportunity to correct mistakes. You will lose really good people like myself.

AJ Madison2019-05-27
  4. "Assistant Bookkeeper"

I worked at AJ Madison full-time

Pros

Good pay and nice environment

Cons

longer breaks would be appreciated

AJ Madison2018-06-10

"Worst Job Ever"

I have been working at AJ Madison full-time

Pros

Decent Salary Benefits Weekends Off Nothing Else

Cons

Management doesn't care for employees at all Playing Favorites No Stability

Advice to Management

Actually work to help your employees grow instead of blaming them for everything. If they're not succeeding it's probably managements fault not theirs.

AJ Madison2018-03-14

"Former employee"

I worked at AJ Madison full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule Ability to work remotely

Cons

No job security, high turn over. Lack of leadership

AJ Madison2018-03-08
  7. "great company"

I worked at AJ Madison

Pros

good pay & great leadership

Cons

none, i enjoyed my stint at Aj Madison & it prepared me for my next step.

AJ Madison2018-01-11

"Absolutely Terrible"

I have been working at AJ Madison full-time

Pros

There are no pros here.

Cons

Do not work here. I can't stress that enough. Most workers are scared everyday that they are going to get fired. I have seen so many great workers get fired for no reason. The management does not care about their staff. They rather fire people than try to get to the root of the problem. The turn over rate is very high. Certain managers have threatened their staff without HR doing anything. These managers have... insulted their staff to their faces and behind their backs. This is an extremely unprofessional place with a massive pay inequality between managers and staff. Even their Yelp reviews are terrible. Stay far away. There is no job stability here and no one deserves to go to work everyday scared that it will be their last.

Advice to Management

I honestly do not understand how you can employ such toxic people who are destroying the moral of the company and its staff. There is a reason why so many people quit and the customers leave horrible reviews. Stop firing the people on the bottom for an easy solution and see what managers are destroying the company and damaging their team.

AJ Madison2017-12-03

"Don't waste your time and efforts here."

I worked at AJ Madison full-time

Pros

- Generous pay - Some very talented and kind coworkers - Ability to execute goals when not micromanaged

Cons

Upper management couldn't care less about walking the talk. They lure you in with a competitive salary and promises that you're able to work with autonomy alongside a supportive team, then are exactly the opposite. Communication on all levels is lacking to the point that projects cannot be completed and deadlines are not met. Instead of working together as a team, they do not assign responsibility and... expectations and when tasks are suddenly defined goals are not met, they are quick to point fingers to whoever they don't like to take the fall. They do not value employees in providing opportunities for training and growth; therefore, the turnover is high. Skimpy on benefits. Location is undesirable. No daily work-life balance. Daily scramble on work as if in a startup with no structure or organization.

Advice to Management

Don't bring in talent that you plan to treat as instantly replaceable. Don't waste people's time that actually care and are passionate about helping your company. If you value the success of your company, you have to value the people in it that are keeping it running each day. Listen, listen, listen to the feedback and reviews here. You'll learn more by listening and making actual changes. Good luck!

AJ Madison2017-09-07

"Lack of good leadership and extremely poor communication"

I worked at AJ Madison

Pros

- you get a bunch of Jewish holidays off - everyone leaves at 4pm on Fridays - if you had to work from home after work or on weekends it's really easy to connect to the server

Cons

- little to no training - poor leadership and communication - was doing 2-3 people's job - Upper management doesn't seem to care about their employees (I worked in marketing so that's where my experience here stemmed from) - they lure you in with high salary but can easily let you go without any communication that they're unhappy with you work or any stage of working things out - benefits are really limited/bad... (health insurance, time off, no 401k) - location of office

Advice to Management

Take a look at the people in upper management roles and really see how they are as leaders.

AJ Madison2017-07-13