AJ's Fine Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Edward Basha III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Super happy working here ..."

I have been working at AJ's Fine Foods full-time

Pros

flexible hours, PTO, medical, friendly work environment, great customers who become part of the family environment. Love working here! Has kept me very happy for a very long time. Company is great to employees and hours allow me to have a very flexible schedule for accommodating vacations and time off. Management is fun and helpful. I feel like people only write reviews here when they are spiteful or bored at home with nothing to do but surf the internet because they're unemployed. I work here and LOVE IT!

Cons

The occasional crabby customer, but you'll find that anywhere!! Nothing that would ruin my day

Advice to Management

Kewp being awesome!!

2. "Bakery"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at AJ's Fine Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Non, worst job ever at AJ's

Cons

This company represents nothing that they project to the public. All their goods in the bakery are frozen, I mean frozen solid!!! They have no standards for their employee's and ignore people that do their job correctly. Do not apply for any job here, you will be miserable!!!

"You get sucked in...."

Current Employee - Director of Catering in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Director of Catering in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at AJ's Fine Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible, Paid holidays, Learning a lot, Free Product from vendors (sometimes), Opportunities for advancement, Pays more than other grocery stores, you can be as creative as you want (in some departments), 15% discount, almost impossible to be terminated.

Cons

Disorganized company, new hires dont get the same benefits as old contract members, rude customers (all stores are in "wealthy neighborhoods), they transfer "problem" employees AND managers, transfer deli managers/store managers too often.

Advice to Management

Bring back the old pay scale. RAISE the pay scale. Better organization...most often customers tell ME when something is on sale. DC needs to have product in stock ALWAYS.

"Not worth it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at AJ's Fine Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job not the army

Cons

Management is horrible they either like you or they don't and if they don't good luck trying to move up in the company.. hourly sucks workers are all disposable it's sad

Advice to Management

Stop walking around like drill seargents it really makes people uncomfortable

5. "Customer Service Manager"

I worked at AJ's Fine Foods full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for and room to move up

Cons

Retail is sometimes difficult to deal with

6. "My experience at AJs has been extremely enjoyable and rewarding. It has helped me grow tremendously as a person."

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at AJ's Fine Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My favorite aspect of the job is all the culinary expertise and creative baking skill I've learned along the way. Ive familiarized with many high end brands that i now call my favorites and Ive become very loyal to. Our Espressions Coffee is extremely delectable and our China mist Iced tea is hands down the #1 and highly favored product that we sell in our quaint corner of the culinary world.

Cons

The biggest challenge ive faced working in the bakery is mastering Time Management. Since we are so popular and hopping all day long, there is a much more intense sense of quickening your pace to finish tasks. The necessary extra amount of time it sometimes takes to finish top priorities is bittersweet but always possible.

Advice to Management

Understanding the relationship between the timeframe given to complete tasks and the number of customers to help is very important to keep in mind. There is no such thing as a person who doesn't need help!

"High School Kids/Retirees and English second Language Company"

Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at AJ's Fine Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Like anywhere else, it is what you make of it. You make friends, generally you are forced to 'commiserate' about how bad things are going or how bad they have fallen over the years at this laughing stock company. AJ's is really food city quality masked by a better name...a sinking brand.

Cons

RAPIDLY becoming a third rate if not cut rate company. If you have ANY education you do not belong here! Any ambitious dreams? DO NOT work here. This place will stifle you unless you are mentioned in the aptly named review title above (not kidding...wish I really was!).

Company is run like a police state of arbitrary 'compliance' issues regarding the health department. It is VERY much a good ol' boys club if you are at all to have any opportunity in 'corporate' which is stocked with literally zero talented 'lifers' who climbed up the ladder solely based off years put in.

Pay is never great in grocery retail, but AJ's is shockingly sub-par among rival chains; yet lives off it's sham of an upscale brand name.

Advice to Management

Sell off to a national chain that knows what it is doing! Eliminate nepotism! It should be illegal but is not. Require educational guidelines for EMBARRASSINGLY under qualified store directors and Department leaders. Not kidding, some managers are nearly illiterate and cannot spell....talking about 'management' here. Stop policing members and redirect efforts on marketing and recruiting talent. Losing ground daily!

8. "Bistro Clerk"

Current Employee - Bisto Clerk in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Bisto Clerk in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at AJ's Fine Foods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lot of things to learn pay is good to start

Cons

To much gossip and drama back biting no team work

Advice to Management

None

9. "Underpayed, understaffed, good ole boys run the company's. If your not liked your experience there will be miserable."

I worked at AJ's Fine Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some good employees. Good food. Some good customers. A lot of professional athletes come in and shop. Good sushi selection

Cons

Pay! Well below industry standard. Make you feel like there's no other jobs out there and that there the only good job. Not true.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and be professional. Pay industry standards

10. "First Job in a New State"

Former Employee - Bistro Clerk in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Bistro Clerk in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at AJ's Fine Foods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allowed me the chance to learn new customer service skills in a new department that I have not worked before.

Cons

Very tight knit of people that generally gave hours to the departmental employees that have worked there the longest before giving hours to the new hires.

Advice to Management

Watch for ANY manager giving favoritism within departments. This may not seem like a concern but IT can cause many problems within departments due to the favoritism being shown to certain people.