AK Steel Holding Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
AK Steel Holding Corporation CEO Roger K. Newport
Roger K. Newport

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Currently good pay and benefits (in 13 reviews)

• good pay is the only reason to work here (in 16 reviews)

"Horrible work environment"

Current Employee - Operator in Mansfield, OH
    Current Employee - Operator in Mansfield, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and insurance is decent. Management hates it though

Cons

Horrible Hitler-like management who do not have a clue how to manage people

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage a company

"Rotating Schedule, Constant Harassment, and Degrading Employee.... That sound fun to you!!!"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Mansfield, OH
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Mansfield, OH

Pros

The union brotherhood protects you from unjust firing. Good pay and benefits. Good safety program in theory. Exciting work

Cons

Bosses are given quotas on write ups and discipline. They use the safety program as a weapon to get who ever they want. Bosses try to keep employees misinformed to be able to use as escape goats. Also very hot but its a steel mill.

Advice to Management

Change the culture in the mills, West Chester is so out of touch its crazy. Start with your upper management and tell them that they need to have some respect for the guys and girls making you millions of dollars. If they spoke to you like they do use then I bet they would be looking for a job. Also take the ethics hotline seriously because our boss has walked in and scream at us for calling it and making him do more paperwork (also he said that we are wasting our time because corp. would never believe us over him)

"rigid"

Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Middletown, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pays 1.5x after 8 hours hourly or salary plus unlimited overtime.
    great safety record
    great benefits

Cons

leadership is very good old boy network. (its all who you know)
    very limited advancement opportunities.
    a lot of required overtime

Advice to Management

get out of the 1950's. adapt to the modern job market without compromising safety.

"Office Administrator"

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time

Pros

Salary is fair and hours are good.

Cons

Poor management, no team aspect, hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings not pieces of garbage.

"No respect for hourly!"

Current Employee - Stationary Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Stationary Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dearborn comments only and only 3 years under new mgmt of AK. Get the right schedule and it's livable. 4 on, 4 off, 12 hour shifts is like a mini-vacation every 4 days.. you will need it.

Cons

No matter your experience, seems like management ego prevents them listening to suggestions. They always know better. Seem to not care about employee moral. Incompetent supervisors definitely don't want to listen to hourly. Union is weak, union is paid through company, a conflict of interest. No appreciation for hard work, lack of respect at every turn. Rule with an iron fist instead of building trust and respect. Pay is not that great, at least in skilled trades. Stationary Engineers definitely not. No understanding of experience and value of an actual Stationary Engineer. Everything to them is "Boiler Operator", even jobs in Waste Water Treatment. Not worth getting in the door unless you absolutely make it a stop over waiting for something else. Upward mobility severely limited. Some mobility in dept to dept movement.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the ego, start acting like hourly workers know what they're doing and show some appreciation.

"Awful management and corporate policies."

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Butler, PA

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money is okay for the garbage that you put up with during day to day work.
    Benefits are decent, as to be expected for this large of a company.
    New CEO is kind and wants to improve culture and finances.

Cons

Liars and manipulators in management.
    Safety program designed to beat you down and to cause conflict.
    Inefficient safety program.
    Management by fear.
    You can't easily move within the corporation to a job you want. AK puts you where they want you.
    Be prepared to be very unhappy at work.
    Lack of rationale in problem solving.
    Work-life balance is not very good. Lots of hours, which is ok, but no sympathy for people's life events.
    COO is a total jerk, for all I know.

Advice to Management

Move people to jobs they enjoy, and make everyone's opinion matter. Purge liars and manipulators in management. Management needs to be full of leaders, and leaders are not the type that do not take responsibility for their own mistakes, or the type that throws their own employees under the bus. Also, change the safety program so that it does not beat people down, resulting in no buy in from most employees to company policies.

"Great co-workers, incompetent management and executives"

Pros

Pay is very competitive and benefits are top notch. Bonus is good when the company does well (hint: the company hasn't done well for years and years).

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Years of mismanagement by executives, corporate still treats people like garbage, managers are routinely clueless, long hours with little recognition, the list goes on and on. Do yourself and your family a favor by never considering to work for AK. Ever.

Advice to Management

Change.

"Truly selling you soul to the devil"

Former Employee - Electrical Maintenance in Coshocton, OH
    Former Employee - Electrical Maintenance in Coshocton, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is unmatched anywhere this side of Ohio, benefits are great, training is top notch.

Cons

UAW Union is a scary business. If you have ever had a job where workers spit in you face, toss hot coffee on you, threaten and curse you out for passing along a work request, drinking while on the clock, extreme drug use, lack of safety for the bottom dollar, and an entire workforce without a single God fearing man.... the list goes on & on & on.... but if you want to sell your soul for money then you have come to the right place!

Advice to Management

What an you say when they are are invested in evil as much as the union?

"An awful company to work for."

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Dearborn, MI

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary was decent and 401k match was good.

Cons

Terrible upper management. The Dearborn facility (previously Severstal North America) was purchased by AK on Sept 16th 2014 (this was when the transfer of ownership was completed). The moment AK Steel took over, they immediately began tearing down the morale and team that the Severstal management spent years building. I was proud to say I worked for Severstal. However, I was embarrassed to say I worked for AK steel. Many quality employees left due to the "management by intimidation" methods AK Steel uses. Almost overnight, you could see the morale had been sucked out of that place.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any advice for management as they refuse to listen to their current and former employees, so why waste the effort. I am so happy to no longer work in such a toxic environment.

"Ak steel....be prepared to be an butt kissing robot"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Lebanon, OH
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Lebanon, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits, hourly co workers are great once you figure out who the rats are

Cons

Management is horrible and love to fire people, unionized but the union sucks, no family life, to much overtime mandatory and forced, the hourly guys are great to work with, lots of rats in the union work force.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the older management and work towards the new era of management...Management is ignorant in most decisions....if it doesn't make sense they will do it..."we don't make sense-we make steel" is the hourly employees motto