AK Steel Holding Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Roger K. Newport
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • upper management is not hands on (in 7 reviews)

• AK wants them to be number one in your life and there is no work life balance (in 4 reviews)

"An awful company to work for."

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Dearborn, MI

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary was decent and 401k match was good.

Cons

Terrible upper management. The Dearborn facility (previously Severstal North America) was purchased by AK on Sept 16th 2014 (this was when the transfer of ownership was completed). The moment AK Steel took over, they immediately began tearing down the morale and team that the Severstal management spent years building. I was proud to say I worked for Severstal. However, I was embarrassed to say I worked for AK steel. Many quality employees left due to the "management by intimidation" methods AK Steel uses. Almost overnight, you could see the morale had been sucked out of that place.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any advice for management as they refuse to listen to their current and former employees, so why waste the effort. I am so happy to no longer work in such a toxic environment.

"Ak steel....be prepared to be an butt kissing robot"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Lebanon, OH
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Lebanon, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits, hourly co workers are great once you figure out who the rats are

Cons

Management is horrible and love to fire people, unionized but the union sucks, no family life, to much overtime mandatory and forced, the hourly guys are great to work with, lots of rats in the union work force.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the older management and work towards the new era of management...Management is ignorant in most decisions....if it doesn't make sense they will do it..."we don't make sense-we make steel" is the hourly employees motto

""Savages""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Pros

Good pay and benefits atm! Not great but good. Insurance is average nothing spectacular,and a regular "bone us" as a production employee.

Cons

Shewww, where to start? Since AK came on the scene here at Dearborn Works. They've tried to change the culture around here. They preach & beat into the heads of stupervisors that safety is first around here, but that's nothing more than a ruse!! It's production priority,safety second! They will try to fire you for what they call a safety violation for things like not having your boot laces laced all the way up to the top of your boot.not having your shirt tucked in just to name a couple of things. I've never seen the morale around this place this low where it almost feels like I'm working in a hostile environment. Physcological warfare is a favorite amongst top management here, was told by a few supervisors that their being pressured by top executives to write ppl up for any & everything! Even the now ex safety rep that quit here told me this. & said he just can't do that to ppl that's why he quit. Working here has added alot of undue stress in my life along with long hrs, a ton of forced overtime. Like working 12hrs a day isn't long enough oh btw looking forward to going home in 15 min..... ha! Btw so & so called off your staying another 4hrs sorry about your luck. We have a shop to run & forget your family or any plans you had you can see your kids tomm! Maybe.... :/ there's a ton more i could put in here but hopefully you get the point!! There's only 3 things good about working here. The pay,benefits and a few good ppl that's it. Other than that this is by far the absolute worst corporation I've ever had the displeasure of working for.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat your employees better ya know the one's that keep this place running! Studies have shown that the top fortune 500 companies in the world have great morale and treat their employees like they matter to them! Not like everybody's replaceable like here! Employees that are treated like they matter and feel like they make a difference tend to produce better.

"A stressful situation."

Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Detroit, MI

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is acceptable and there is a lot of overtime.

Cons

The work environment is dirty and very hot. Safety regulations are changed weekly and used against the employees. Supervisors are required to write up a set number of personnel monthly or they are at risk. Since AK Steel took over the Severstal NA complex 120 maintenance personnel have left the company.

Advice to Management

AK Steel management should be more concerned with the wellbeing of its employees. The work environment thats has been created is terrible. Just to work there you need to have your therapist on speed dial.

6. "Maintenance - Rockport"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Rockport, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Rockport, IN

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Guess it's hazard pay. Long term health concerns working in such a corrosive environment. If it eats through metal what's it doin to my lungs.

Cons

Liked it better under a subcontracting company and when we were non Union. Operators wanted us Union to help their own agenda. AK is hiring techs who are bottom of barrel. This place is no longer enjoyable to work at. Work life balance no longer exists and new rules are ridiculous.

Advice to Management

New work rules suck.

7. "Seriously a joke"

Current Employee - Laborer in Ashland, KY
    Current Employee - Laborer in Ashland, KY

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of OT and benefits are decent.

Cons

Dangerous, and very obvious from the lowest salary to the CEO they truly don't care about you.

Advice to Management

Try listening to an hourly employee. Come down off your high horse.

"enter at your own risk"

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Coshocton, OH
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Coshocton, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

used to be a good job

Cons

need to be medicaded os a heavy drinker

Advice to Management

get out while you can

"If you need money or don't have kids come on down, otherwise stay away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, OH

Pros

You work with great guys for the most part. The money isn't too bad for the actual work you put in. You can move around from department to department. Great benefits.

Cons

Long, long,long days. They can make you stay an extra eight hours if someone calls off (it happens a lot). Personally I have three managers I work with that I really like and they treat me right. But as a whole most managers are rude, they don't know what they are talking about, it seems they always have something to prove to let you know they're in charge.

Advice to Management

Advice to upper management, get rid of shift managers off the street and promote within. Start treating people like humans instead of objects and maybe you and those idiots in West Chester will get the stock price back up.

"Avoid AK Steel at all costs"

Current Employee - Skilled Trades in Dearborn Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Skilled Trades in Dearborn Heights, MI

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is they will hire anyone that can pass a drug test. Idiots welcome. That is all.

Cons

There are way to many to list but I'll give you a few important ones. They brag about having a 2 year turn over on salaried personal and 5 year turn over rate on hourly. Bosses are forced to write up a certain amount of people a week. They make some safety rules only to help bosses fire people. Like must maintain 3 points of contact while walking up stairs.. seriously try that.. you must fill out safety cards daily stating you know the hazards of walking, and it's not the companys responsibility should you fall. Matter of fact.. slipping on ice is also a firable offense. They also brag about their sterling safety record. The reason for that is they don't acknowledge when non employees get hurt. (contractors). They force weekly swing shift on hourly people. I could go on and on and on. Management like it because they feel powerful, hourly people avoid this company , nothing good will come from it....

Advice to Management

People that do, Do.. people that cant, manage. Look at stock prices plummet, that's your doing.

"Completely dysfunctional upper management in all aspects."

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Dearborn, MI

Pros

Good benefits, challenging work environment, and that is about it.

Cons

Punitive management style, unrealistic safety rules, useless tool time meetings, all around horrible communication between operations and maintenance departments.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the people who've got the experience. Respect employee input. Create a more rewarding work environment by showing professional respect where due. Drop the punitive management style, it creates low morale and kills worker motivation. Open up the lines of communication between operations and maintenance. Better planning on Outages would be more beneficial. Give maintenance more time to keep equipment in good operating condition. More PM's means less breakdowns! Either hire managers with steel experience, or promote from within. Union needs to stop protecting substandard workers, it is unfair to their coworkers. No more litigation based safety rules, there are areas that AK requires maintenance to work in that will never meet their own standards. Use common sense when implementing safety. Wearing hot sleeves and keeping fingers in proper holes makes no sense in every area of the mill. Counterproductive safety rules not based on common sense shouldn't exist.