AK Steel Holding Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Roger K. Newport
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • upper management is not hands on (in 7 reviews)

• AK wants them to be number one in your life and there is no work life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Overall a decent job and okay place to work"

Current Employee - Production Operator in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Production Operator in Middletown, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money and benefits for the job(s) preformed

Cons

Sometimes have unwanted overtime and have too many rules

Advice to Management

Quit trying to find ways to write up/discipline employees for arbitrary rules

"Not Taking Time for Proper Repairs is Frustrating"

Former Employee - Maintenance Shift Manager in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Maintenance Shift Manager in Mansfield, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary if fair, Many good knowledgeable employees who want to make proper repairs

Cons

Management tries to fight Union workers instead of engage them, They are more concerned with making Band-Aid repairs then making the proper repairs that will help reduce downtime.

Advice to Management

Worry a little less on making every last penny that you can and take the time to do repairs correctly the first time. This will allow the equipment to be more reliable and the breakdowns will be minimized as a result.

"its a job"

Current Employee - Utility Technician in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Utility Technician in Middletown, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time

Pros

good pay is the only reason to work here. no rewards for anything from hard work to many years of service.

Cons

bad management. driven to write up employees. all causes bad attitude by all employees

Advice to Management

let us do our jobs without micro managed. reward our efforts once in a while

4. "The experience was good."

Former Employee - Accounts Payables in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Accounts Payables in West Chester, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The training was decent. There are opportunities to move to different departments. Because there are a lot of females that work in the offices, there is a lot of drama. But you do get your own office.

Cons

The company/management doesn't care much about their employees, depending on the department. The only time management would pay attention to who was actually pulling their weight in the department is if someone directly complained. In the department that I was in (account payables), you started off a temp through an agency and you could be stuck working through that agency with no vacation or benefits for YEARS. They try to hire based on seniority, but because they are cutting costs constantly, it's not too common that they actually have the money to hire people on to the company. There is a very high turnover rate as well.

Advice to Management

Speak to your employees more or pay more attention to performance.

5. "work/life balance"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Middletown, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits

Cons

terrible work life balance, union/management mentality. Promotion was based on who you know, not merit driven

Advice to Management

develop your leaders do not horse tie them.

"Good and bad"

Current Employee - Production Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Production Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits.

Cons

Office politics. Management is forced to write people up. They also have knee jerk reactions to accidents. People make procedures who have never done the job before.

"Cut backs"

Current Employee - Transportation Coordinator and Billing Specialist in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my job. AK Dearborn become affiliated with AK Steel Corporation in September 2014 following sale of Severstal Dearborn. The company is decent. It is nice to be paid well. In this day and age is nice to work for a solid company. The company was keen on meeting quality standards.

Cons

I did not experience it directly but health insurance was subpar after AK Dearborn took over. Getting laid off and only being eligible for unemployment is challenging. Because AK Steel is having so many challenges across the board, I do not believe new hires have a lot of security.

Advice to Management

Morale should be the number one, I believe everything else will fall in place.

"Senior Operations Technician"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Technician in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Technician in West Chester, OH

Pros

Great comradery between the hourly workers...Jobs are not hard but are labor -intensive. Pay is good, but below industry standard.[NOT BY MUCH] Good vacation system, and decent benefits.

Cons

A LOT OF OVERTIME, excessive depending on the department you're in. A lot of decisions are made by upper management based upon what looks good on paper to the senior management, i.e., departments will continue to patch up equipment that has well exceeded its life span instead of buying new equipment because the repairs come out of the general fund, but to replace equipment comes out of the departmental budget. This type of thing will go on for years if left unchecked.

Advice to Management

Your greatest asset is your workforce...if you abuse it, you will get what you pay for in the long run. Reduce the overtime, and watch the morale of the workforce change for the better.

"good pay, promotablity limited, training non existent"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Middletown, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good money, lots of overtime
    Safety is paramount

Cons

Mandatory Overtime (alot of it)
    rotating shift work
    management training non existent
    upper management is not hands on

Advice to Management

create a formal training programs and high management come to production facilities

"Be prepared to take the bad with the good"

Former Employee - Product Engineer in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in Middletown, OH

Pros

The people in my department were great. It provided a good foundation for learning straight out of college.

Cons

Pay for an entry level engineer is below industry average by ~$10k to $15k. Management acts like an old boys club. VERY little room for advancement. Be prepared to learn on your own, no real mentoring. Constantly had to work weekends, albeit not in the office, but at home. Averaged minimum 4hrs a weekend, was more consistently 6 - 8hrs every weekend. I was there for 6 years, not a single raise and/or promotion. I've been at my current job for less than a year and already a promotion and two merit raises.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for growth for those that are eager to make their mark!