AK Steel Holding Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Roger K. Newport

Pros
Cons
  • upper management is not hands on (in 7 reviews)

• AK wants them to be number one in your life and there is no work life balance (in 4 reviews)

"well paid but little respect"

Current Employee - Maintenance Repair in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Repair in Butler, PA

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay for not having a college degree

Cons

Harsh environment, shift work, employees input not valued

Advice to Management

With a mature workforce ( average 20+ years) there is a lot of experience to draw from. Unfortunately because of the finger pointing atmosphere, many are afraid to try new ideas that may help the company. There is always the threat of "corrective action" if something is done wrong or if a mistake is made

2. "Co-op number two at the blast furnace"

Current Intern - Process Engineer in Middletown, OH
    Current Intern - Process Engineer in Middletown, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Small business feeling in a large corporation

Cons

None too bad so far.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people.

3. "Great pay, Easy work"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Middletown, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was fantastic for my education level and the work was incredibly easy %90 of the time

Cons

The hours were incredibly long.

Advice to Management

Communicate more

5. "Micro-Managing."

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people that work for AK Steel are good people.

Cons

Long hours, Micro-management, and very clickish

Advice to Management

Don't kill your employees with hours!

"AK Steel does a lot of things right and treats their employees well."

Current Employee - Engineer in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Middletown, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits and tuition reimbursement are very competitive with other companies. Promotions don't come often or easily, but the company does reward excellent performance and will provide new opportunities. Most of the employees are loyal, sincere, and polite.

Cons

The work locations are not good, but that is typical of manufacturing. Compensation is mediocre and bonuses will only be honored when the company is making money, which has not been in recent years. Training is not on par with many other corporations and could be much better.

Advice to Management

It's difficult to spend money that is not available, but I would suggest spending on the people. They deserve it.

7. "Good company to work for."

Current Employee - Manager in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Middletown, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good opportunities for advancement for those that put forth the effort. Safety is not a word but a culture at AK. Great people to work with.

Cons

Environment is less than ideal in most locations, as is to be expected for a steel manufacturer. Training is not a priority. Pay is below industry averages as a whole. Incentive for salary bonus is tied to corporate performance, not individual or unit performance.

Advice to Management

Take care of those that work hard to make your company profitable.

"Good Company, but need more work to do!"

Current Employee - Union
    Current Employee - Union

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay for my college level! Great employees, hourly and salary! Union perks & health insurance.

Cons

As part of the union, there is this thing about not wanting to work very hard. About every day we get a few hours worth of work, then everyone stretches it out as long as they can, or hides till the end of shift. I'm one for steady work, and feel they are over employed. It is a rarity I clock out with a feeling of pride that I earned my days pay, this is quite discouraging and pray it doesn't lead to the same mentality over time.

Advice to Management

Bring back family tours, the men feel you do not care about their families therefore reinforcing upper management being an enemy so to say (it's basic psychology). Start some kind of motivating reward program that will boost competition among the men. Have more work orders available to take on for ever department. Hire a company like Elite Research to survey the union employees and you will learn how to get 5x the work done that they are capable of.
    >30% of all I see is willing hard workers standing around with idle hands while the factory is falling apart, yet you are paying good money for every minute of this. You can not force fix it, you need to fix your image with them & they will naturally want what is best for you.

9. "I enjoyed working with numerous professionals in a fast paced industrial setting"

Former Employee - Electrical Manager in Butler, PA
    Former Employee - Electrical Manager in Butler, PA

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefit package and payscale was tops for the Butler Pa region. I found the majority of the management group to be professional , pleasant , and nice to work with during some stressful situations. I'd like to consider some of my former co-managers to be friends, although I've relocated to another city

Cons

The unionized workforce was at times difficult. Oftentimes their reps tainted the work enviornment with their over the top tacticks, but I found the hourly crew to be very good at their assignments

Advice to Management

Open the employment ranks to former managers --they may come back with a better resume and a full plate of experience

10. "Great company operationally. Not great at managing people."

Current Employee - Manager in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in West Chester, OH

Pros

This company is the premier steel company, and operates at a much higher standard than the industry as a whol, especially on safety. It also pays pretty well, and when times are good, bonuses are really good. Work life balance is pretty good.

Cons

The steel industry has been losing money for a while, so belts are very tight and there are no perks. There are not a lot of opportunities for professional development. They also don't do a very good job of medium or long term strategic planning or budgets.

"Graet pay and benefits"

Pros

Great pay and benefits like insurance

Cons

Management need better people skills