AK Steel Holding Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

AK Steel Holding Corporation Reviews

Updated March 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • upper management is not hands on (in 7 reviews)

• AK wants them to be number one in your life and there is no work life balance (in 4 reviews)

"its a job"

Current Employee - Utility Technician in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Utility Technician in Middletown, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time

Pros

good pay is the only reason to work here. no rewards for anything from hard work to many years of service.

Cons

bad management. driven to write up employees. all causes bad attitude by all employees

Advice to Management

let us do our jobs without micro managed. reward our efforts once in a while

2. "The experience was good."

Former Employee - Accounts Payables in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Accounts Payables in West Chester, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The training was decent. There are opportunities to move to different departments. Because there are a lot of females that work in the offices, there is a lot of drama. But you do get your own office.

Cons

The company/management doesn't care much about their employees, depending on the department. The only time management would pay attention to who was actually pulling their weight in the department is if someone directly complained. In the department that I was in (account payables), you started off a temp through an agency and you could be stuck working through that agency with no vacation or benefits for YEARS. They try to hire based on seniority, but because they are cutting costs constantly, it's not too common that they actually have the money to hire people on to the company. There is a very high turnover rate as well.

Advice to Management

Speak to your employees more or pay more attention to performance.

3. "Director - Specialty Steel Sales"

Former Employee - Director of Specialty Steel Sales in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Director of Specialty Steel Sales in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good compensation. Nice HQ building environment with cafeteria and men's and women's exercise facilities on site. Good HQ location in Cincinnati northern suburbs near shopping and restaurants. Technology leader in steel making in the US.

Cons

Steel industry economics are highly cyclical, which can put stress on employees.

Advice to Management

I think you are doing the best job possible.

5. "work/life balance"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Middletown, OH

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits

Cons

terrible work life balance, union/management mentality. Promotion was based on who you know, not merit driven

Advice to Management

develop your leaders do not horse tie them.

6. "Solid Company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Middletown, OH

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership, Talent, Culture. Recent CEO & CFO are an improvement over past. In a struggling industry, the company does its best to remain positive and forward focused.

Cons

Not always innovative and default to past solutions. Could approach problems with more emphasis on statistical capability.

Advice to Management

Continue to excel in automotive and differentiate from other commodity products wherever possible.

"Good and bad"

Current Employee - Production Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Production Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits.

Cons

Office politics. Management is forced to write people up. They also have knee jerk reactions to accidents. People make procedures who have never done the job before.

""Savages""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Pros

Good pay and benefits atm! Not great but good. Insurance is average nothing spectacular,and a regular "bone us" as a production employee.

Cons

Shewww, where to start? Since AK came on the scene here at Dearborn Works. They've tried to change the culture around here. They preach & beat into the heads of stupervisors that safety is first around here, but that's nothing more than a ruse!! It's production priority,safety second! They will try to fire you for what they call a safety violation for things like not having your boot laces laced all the way up to the top of your boot.not having your shirt tucked in just to name a couple of things. I've never seen the morale around this place this low where it almost feels like I'm working in a hostile environment. Physcological warfare is a favorite amongst top management here, was told by a few supervisors that their being pressured by top executives to write ppl up for any & everything! Even the now ex safety rep that quit here told me this. & said he just can't do that to ppl that's why he quit. Working here has added alot of undue stress in my life along with long hrs, a ton of forced overtime. Like working 12hrs a day isn't long enough oh btw looking forward to going home in 15 min..... ha! Btw so & so called off your staying another 4hrs sorry about your luck. We have a shop to run & forget your family or any plans you had you can see your kids tomm! Maybe.... :/ there's a ton more i could put in here but hopefully you get the point!! There's only 3 things good about working here. The pay,benefits and a few good ppl that's it. Other than that this is by far the absolute worst corporation I've ever had the displeasure of working for.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat your employees better ya know the one's that keep this place running! Studies have shown that the top fortune 500 companies in the world have great morale and treat their employees like they matter to them! Not like everybody's replaceable like here! Employees that are treated like they matter and feel like they make a difference tend to produce better.

"A stressful situation."

Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Detroit, MI

I worked at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is acceptable and there is a lot of overtime.

Cons

The work environment is dirty and very hot. Safety regulations are changed weekly and used against the employees. Supervisors are required to write up a set number of personnel monthly or they are at risk. Since AK Steel took over the Severstal NA complex 120 maintenance personnel have left the company.

Advice to Management

AK Steel management should be more concerned with the wellbeing of its employees. The work environment thats has been created is terrible. Just to work there you need to have your therapist on speed dial.

"Cut backs"

Current Employee - Transportation Coordinator and Billing Specialist in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my job. AK Dearborn become affiliated with AK Steel Corporation in September 2014 following sale of Severstal Dearborn. The company is decent. It is nice to be paid well. In this day and age is nice to work for a solid company. The company was keen on meeting quality standards.

Cons

I did not experience it directly but health insurance was subpar after AK Dearborn took over. Getting laid off and only being eligible for unemployment is challenging. Because AK Steel is having so many challenges across the board, I do not believe new hires have a lot of security.

Advice to Management

Morale should be the number one, I believe everything else will fall in place.

11. "Maintenance - Rockport"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Rockport, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Rockport, IN

I have been working at AK Steel Holding Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Guess it's hazard pay. Long term health concerns working in such a corrosive environment. If it eats through metal what's it doin to my lungs.

Cons

Liked it better under a subcontracting company and when we were non Union. Operators wanted us Union to help their own agenda. AK is hiring techs who are bottom of barrel. This place is no longer enjoyable to work at. Work life balance no longer exists and new rules are ridiculous.

Advice to Management

New work rules suck.