AKA NYC Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Cool place"

I worked at AKA NYC as an intern

Pros

Feels hip, smallish agency, bullpen office setting, great kitchen with coffee and snacks, bagel Thursdays...awesome place to dive into the broadway community! Aka has tons of cool Broadway clients so you’ll be in on some at cool shows. You can be a grad or an undergrad and there seems to be some flexibility with how many days a week you can work if you’re still in school.

Cons

Deadlines are fast and everyone is always super busy. They stay late a lot, though interns aren’t expected to. Be ready to work super fast, navigate tricky situations and figure stuff out on your own (ish). If you want to do broadway, then you should expect crazy fast paced, but I suppose it’s not for everyone. Intern stipend is pretty low and not enough to support yourself, so if you want to work full time, you’d better have some extra cash from somewhere.

2. "I worked at AKA NYC as an intern"

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at AKA NYC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly work atmosphere, open office, everyone is very approachable

Cons

Some days can be super slow.

Advice to Management

Make the Internship program more structured.

3. "Exciting and inspiring place to work"

I have been working at AKA NYC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AKA fosters amazing creativity and a culture of fresh, innovative thinkers. The team here are some of the most dedicated and passionate people I've ever worked with - constantly pushing the boundaries of what is possible in this industry and beyond. It's pretty inspiring to witness and be a part of every day!

There's great opportunity for development here too as all departments work closely across multiple accounts, so you learn fast and get to really experience all disciplines of the advertising and marketing business - and the management team really encourage and support personal leadership goals.

Also, its entertainment. Live entertainment! So the perks go without saying!

Cons

It's fast paced environment and you need to work hard to keep up with the pack. often long hours but that's just advertising in general.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on team development!

4. "Content Intern"

I worked at AKA NYC as an intern

Pros

Hands on experience on how to make a TV commercial
    Super friendly staff
    I learned a lot about the Broadway world
    Free bagels on Thursdays
    They'll hire you as a PA in the future if needed for a shoot!

Cons

A little slow at times

5. "Marketing and Promotions Intern"

Pros

-candy room
    -bagel Thursday
    -awesome people
    -creativity
    -organized
    -community
    -small enough that everyone knew everyone but not too small

Cons

no real cons; it's important to like the Broadway world because youre saturated in it

Advice to Management

- none

6. "Disorganised"

I worked at AKA NYC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some fun people in this office.

Cons

Definitely a lack of organization and structure at the time.

Apr 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We saw your benefit review and we're sorry that you feel this way. Our current package includes a generous vacation allowance, Summer Fridays, 100% company-sponsored medical (with no deductible) and... More

"Exhausted, but Passionate, Employees"

I have been working at AKA NYC full-time

Pros

-very passionate employees
    -great benefits
    -amazing opportunities for learning and growth
    -good networking opportunities

Cons

-all employees are extremely overworked and there is a general culture of working long hours and not taking lunches
    -no matching 401k option in benefits package
    -extreme and unnecessary pressure placed on junior level employees
    -lack of teamwork
    -many department heads have issues leading by example

Advice to Management

Make a greater effort to listen to employees, namely junior staff members

"Amazing Work Environment"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at AKA NYC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment at AKA is so light and energetic. The employees seem to actual enjoy coming to work each day and everyone on the team works really well together! One of my favorite parts was how they celebrate everyone's birthdays. This really helps people feel included and appreciated. They also order in bagels and donuts every Thursday for their employees to celebrate the upcoming weekend and all the work that had been done that week. Also, complimentary tickets to Broadway shows is a major pro!

Cons

There aren't many downsides to working, or at least interning, at AKA. I thoroughly enjoyed everything that I did and learned.

Advice to Management

I wish that the interns had gotten to know the partners and department heads a little better. Other than that I think their intern program is great and I highly recommend it!

Nov 4, 2015 – Managing Partner

Thank you so much for this feedback! I'm so pleased you got a lot out of the experience. We will definitely take on board your feedback about having a little more time with department heads and the... More

"It's just selling tickets, not performing surgery."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at AKA NYC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun company culture. Great perks if you love theatre. Lots of creative artsy types.

Cons

All employees are overworked and stressed out. It's a culture of 'who can work the longest hours' and be the most stressed out. Everyone acts like they're curing cancer, which they're not. Pay is also not great.

Advice to Management

Make people leave the office and work less.

Jul 13, 2015 – Managing Partner

We’re sorry that this was your experience. We strive to ensure our employees have a healthy work/life balance by monitoring hours, offering a generous vacation allowance and reduced summer hours... More

"Wonderful Creative Company"

Pros

AKA has a uniquely passionate and inspiring group of professionals.
    I was honored to work there and would be happy to return if my career path took me back their way.

This office has a close, family like culture unlike anything I've ever experienced. The wide spectrum of experience and knowledge creates an environment that facilitates growth, especially in the junior staff.

AKA has really established themselves as an equal contender in the Broadway landscape. Though they are still a young agency in NY, they have successfully surpassed their growing pains. They also have a really generous benefits package.

There are a lot of opportunities for go-getters to really shine and grow their resume. I would highly recommend this company.

Cons

There are one or two weak department heads who are weak links, who should have been let go by now. However, wherever weakness in management may lie, there is supporting staff who go above and beyond the call of duty to make up for it.

Though not expected or required, there is an unspoken culture of working long hours.

Feb 17, 2015 – Managing Partner

Thanks so much for your feedback!