AKA NYC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 13, 2017

4.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Marketing and Promotions Intern"

Pros

-candy room
    -bagel Thursday
    -awesome people
    -creativity
    -organized
    -community
    -small enough that everyone knew everyone but not too small

Cons

no real cons; it's important to like the Broadway world because youre saturated in it

Advice to Management

- none

"Incredible people, incredible company!"

I have been working at AKA NYC full-time

Pros

-talented & driven employees
    -family-like culture
    -collaborative environment
    -opportunities for growth
    -recognition for hard work
    -company is always striving to improve
    -opportunities to get involved in leadership and working committee
    -amazing benefits
    -generous time off
    -weekly happy hours
    -rooftop access

Cons

It takes time getting used to the fast-pace of the agency but at the same time, everyone is always happy to help you out.

3. "Disorganised"

I worked at AKA NYC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some fun people in this office.

Cons

Definitely a lack of organization and structure at the time.

Apr 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We saw your benefit review and we're sorry that you feel this way. Our current package includes a generous vacation allowance, Summer Fridays, 100% company-sponsored medical (with no deductible) and... More

"Exhausted, but Passionate, Employees"

I have been working at AKA NYC full-time

Pros

-very passionate employees
    -great benefits
    -amazing opportunities for learning and growth
    -good networking opportunities

Cons

-all employees are extremely overworked and there is a general culture of working long hours and not taking lunches
    -no matching 401k option in benefits package
    -extreme and unnecessary pressure placed on junior level employees
    -lack of teamwork
    -many department heads have issues leading by example

Advice to Management

Make a greater effort to listen to employees, namely junior staff members

"Amazing Work Environment"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at AKA NYC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment at AKA is so light and energetic. The employees seem to actual enjoy coming to work each day and everyone on the team works really well together! One of my favorite parts was how they celebrate everyone's birthdays. This really helps people feel included and appreciated. They also order in bagels and donuts every Thursday for their employees to celebrate the upcoming weekend and all the work that had been done that week. Also, complimentary tickets to Broadway shows is a major pro!

Cons

There aren't many downsides to working, or at least interning, at AKA. I thoroughly enjoyed everything that I did and learned.

Advice to Management

I wish that the interns had gotten to know the partners and department heads a little better. Other than that I think their intern program is great and I highly recommend it!

Nov 4, 2015 – Managing Partner

Thank you so much for this feedback! I'm so pleased you got a lot out of the experience. We will definitely take on board your feedback about having a little more time with department heads and the... More

"It's just selling tickets, not performing surgery."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at AKA NYC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun company culture. Great perks if you love theatre. Lots of creative artsy types.

Cons

All employees are overworked and stressed out. It's a culture of 'who can work the longest hours' and be the most stressed out. Everyone acts like they're curing cancer, which they're not. Pay is also not great.

Advice to Management

Make people leave the office and work less.

Jul 13, 2015 – Managing Partner

We’re sorry that this was your experience. We strive to ensure our employees have a healthy work/life balance by monitoring hours, offering a generous vacation allowance and reduced summer hours... More

"Wonderful Creative Company"

Pros

AKA has a uniquely passionate and inspiring group of professionals.
    I was honored to work there and would be happy to return if my career path took me back their way.

This office has a close, family like culture unlike anything I've ever experienced. The wide spectrum of experience and knowledge creates an environment that facilitates growth, especially in the junior staff.

AKA has really established themselves as an equal contender in the Broadway landscape. Though they are still a young agency in NY, they have successfully surpassed their growing pains. They also have a really generous benefits package.

There are a lot of opportunities for go-getters to really shine and grow their resume. I would highly recommend this company.

Cons

There are one or two weak department heads who are weak links, who should have been let go by now. However, wherever weakness in management may lie, there is supporting staff who go above and beyond the call of duty to make up for it.

Though not expected or required, there is an unspoken culture of working long hours.

Feb 17, 2015 – Managing Partner

Thanks so much for your feedback!

"Great Amounts of Creativity: Lack of Organization"

I have been working at AKA NYC full-time

Pros

Fun employees
    Lots of opportunities to get stuck in
    Plenty of teamwork

Cons

Not very organized
    Lack of clear roles/responsibilities
    Salaries not great

Jan 7, 2015 – Managing Partner

Thank you for your feedback. It is our goal that everyone on our team has a good understanding of their role and responsibilities. We have an open door policy so if you are not entirely clear we... More

"An Exciting and Rewarding Internship"

Former Intern - Client Services Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Client Services Intern in New York, NY

I worked at AKA NYC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

An internship with AKA NYC provides an excellent opportunity to learn about a full-service advertising agency in the theatre and entertainment industry. AKA interns receive hands-on experience in a supervised and supportive setting. I spent three months this summer as the Client Services intern. I was involved in every aspect of the ongoing client campaigns, and was exposed to every department within the company - often working directly with the department heads. I felt included, encouraged, and valued. I was invited to participate in client-facing and internal meetings, and was fully engaged in client projects - from the early brainstorming meetings to the execution of those projects. I particularly loved working with the AKA staff. My mentors in the office became my friends outside of the office. They are very smart, talented, and hard-working. Their genuine enthusiasm for their work was contagious. I highly recommend interning here.

Cons

I can list only one "con" about my own internship, and it is inherent in any summer internship - that is, it had to end!

Jan 7, 2015 – Managing Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We're so pleased you enjoyed your time here!

"Amazing Internship Experience!"

Former Intern - Digital Marketing/New Business and Copywriting in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Digital Marketing/New Business and Copywriting in New York, NY

I worked at AKA NYC as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

AKA is an incredible place to intern if you love the theatre industry! Not only are you working with some of the brightest creative minds on Broadway, but you are given responsibility that allows you to contribute to actual theatrical advertising campaigns. I was invited to brainstorm meetings and given opportunities to really contribute and see my work realized in campaigns. If you want to learn about the theatre industry, an internship at AKA is an opportunity you won't want to miss. You'll get firsthand experience in the day-to-day work of managing Broadway and Off-Broadway campaigns, while also seeing the long-term planning that goes into making the magic behind Broadway.

Cons

One of the challenges here is acclimating to the agency lifestyle. Things happen fast and it may be daunting at first, but everyone at AKA is really nice enough to give you a hand and help you out.

Jan 7, 2015 – Managing Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We're delighted you had a valuable internship with us!