KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

AKIRA

Engaged Employer

AKIRA

Add a Review

AKIRA Employee Reviews about "freedom"

Updated Sep 28, 2022

Found 17 of over 272 reviews

AKIRA Owner Erikka Wang (no image)
Erikka Wang

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with(in 12 reviews)
  • "I had nice coworkers, and my managers were like friends.(in 10 reviews)
  • "Creative freedom(in 7 reviews)
  • "Great staff and great connections you build with clients.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Friendly work environment, meet different departments of the job, advancement oppurtunities(in 5 reviews)
Cons
  • "The District Managers do not engage with the employees in a beneficial manner that can build the company as a whole.(in 18 reviews)
  • "Low pay Overworked Too demanding(in 17 reviews)
  • "The management was unprofessional and childish(in 14 reviews)
  • "There is no training whatsoever.(in 10 reviews)
  • "There is absoutely no work life balance they will write you up for literally any reason.(in 9 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of AKIRA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "freedom"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company to Grow With

Oct 23, 2017 - Area Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

AKIRA has given me many opportunities for growth. I started working at Akira 5 years ago and have moved up from a part time stylist to an area manager. What initially drew me in to Akira was the overall positive work environment, the fashion, and the freedom to grow at my own pace. The managers before me really invested in my growth and success. Most companies don't give you the freedom to thinkt companies don't give you the freedom to thinkt companies don't give you the freedom to think and act like an owner, they micromanage you. At Akira, you are given the freedom to be relentless about making your business successful. This means growing your business through clienteling, client shopping parties, social media, throwing events, and passing out flyers to drive your own business. Working for Akira means working for a community of down to earth, hard working, passionate individuals. I've always enjoyed working and growing alongside supportive people who have pushed me to do more than I ever thought I could do.

Cons

There is nothing black and white about your career at Akira. There is no set path to get you where you want to go. You must be a self starter in order to be successful at Akira. You have to be relentless. This job is for people with passion, people who can think and act like an owner. Working for Akira is rewarding if you have the heart to do it.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Unique Fast Growing Company

Nov 5, 2015 - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

AKIRA has amazing growth opportunities!!!!! The company is especially great for people who think outside of the box and aren't afraid to be in an environment without a ton of corporate restraints. As managers- we are given the freedom to make our own decisions and to help our people grow. The job is especially fulfilling for creatives- we are encouraged to create and host events, develop long term relationships with clients where we style them for all aspects of their lives. We also have the opportunity to give input on product and influence the way our store is presented.

Cons

AKIRA is not a good fit for those that want to punch in/ punch out, do the minimum and wait for an industry standard annual raise. Each individual has direct accesses to upper management/ ownership and complacency is immediately obvious. You can't rest on a list of resume qualifications to get ahead- you have to really put in work and be able drive results. Our upper ranks are full of employees who were hired on as stylists, security guards and cashiers. For those who have real passion and talent- there is no better environment for career growth. This company is truly the American Dream.

7 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0

Great Learning Experience!

Mar 30, 2015 - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Gave us the freedom to run our own stores. Its unlike every other retail job I have had. I met really great people. I've never worked at a job where I have felt so accomplished. As long as you work hard, they offer a lot of flexibility. Everyone that works at Akira has a lot of passion.

Cons

I worked alot and wish I could of spent more time with upper management.

4. 1.0

Warehouse/Marketing/E-Commerce/ Corporate Office Joke

Jan 26, 2016 - Back Office Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

No dress code. Casual office environment. You have the freedom to come and go as long as you finish your work. Want to play your music? Go ahead! As other have said, if you have a great idea brewing in your head feel free to speak up as they are always willing to listen. In a sense, you are your own 'boss' so long as you take direction and lead. Your coworkers are all nice and so is the big boss.

Cons

"Sigh" Where to begin? Management at AKIRA is a complete joke (despite the fact I love a good joke) with no sense of structure throughout the company. There is no training whatsoever. I'm not expecting for someone to hold your hand a babysit you throughout the day, but a general sense of company procedures and how to access certain things would be nice; I mean what's 30 minutes of quick training?? Duh! The pay is a joke for what you will do in a corporate environment. I consider myself a workaholic by nature (love me a 9-9 day), but everyone has a limit until you realize the amount of work they add to your title far exceeds the pay, e.g. almost minimum wage when you break it down. Other jobs pay far more for the title you will take at AKIRA. Warehouse/corporate office? Absolutely disgusting! If you enjoy working in a crowded office with flies everywhere, dogs (cute ones!) running around doing their business in the middle of the floor (uh oh!), a "kitchen" with 3 day old food on the counters then by all means be my guest and sign up. Quite honestly, the warehouse and back office is in some serious legal violations. No break room so you are expected to have your break in front of your computer essentially meaning you don't have a break. I guarantee you if health official or OSHA dropped by here, it would be a complete shutdown! No I am not that evil that I will call....or maybe I will to spare my fellow ex co-workers ("insert evil laugh"). Customer service is a joke. Hundreds of complaints every week of defective merchandise with management not caring...e.g, all about the $$$ with cheaply made clothes. Yeah I get it! "You get what you pay for." But management can easily address with manufactures for better quality control. Blah blah..and no benefits or incentives! Just sell your soul to this place!

12 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0

Awful

Aug 28, 2015 -  in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Clothing discount, freedom with dress code, honestly I can't think of any others.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. Working at Akira was terrible. There's no structure and no hierarchy in the store. Everyone is a manager, but no one actually manages. They want you to be way to aggressive with selling (you wouldn't have to be that aggressive if the product was good or anyone knew what akira is). They expect too much for too little and the owners don't know how to run a retail store. Don't work here if you're looking for a real job.

8 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0

Stylist

Nov 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-You get the occasional customer who is really nice to talk to and you can style for over an hour and they'll buy some items. -Styling is fun and very fast paced, so the shift goes by quickly. -30% discount. -Freedom to wear whatever you want. -Helps you with becoming more open in conversation and outgoing and just better at sales obviously. -Carry adidas, champion, etc.

Cons

-Unequal pay, you start off with a different salary than the rest of the stylists (I was under 18 at the time and got 4% commission and $5 something base pay) but I am positive others got more than me, I was just manipulated due to my age even though I had much job and interning experience. -I got yelled at for not selling like 3 items per transaction, only 1.9 on average yet I sold the most that day and usually the managers sell the most. -Manager will one moment act like your best friend and two minutes later be the biggest monster. -The whole brand has overly high expectations for what they are and how much they pay. -There would sometimes be 2 other stylists booked with me on like a Wednesday afternoon and so it would be nearly impossible to make over $6 an hour. -Manager forcing you to close the store usually as late as 3 hours after closing even if you had high school classes at 7:30 am the next day. -The staff is very clique-y, over invested in Akira, and ageist. -Disorganized management. -The people who have worked Akira for more than a year life's are centered around just Akira and don't have much going for them. -Difficult to get hired. -More respected employees who have worked there longer can easily steal costumers and commission from newer employees, but if the situation is reversed you will be close to getting fired. -Each store is managed so differently from the next. -Make it seem like you have a chance to begin a career as a real career stylist, but never really happens.

1 person found this review helpful

AKIRA Response

Hey ! I’m sorry that was your experience, please reach out to recruiting@shopakira.com with more details. Thanks for the feedback !

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Creative Environment, Growing Company

Sep 2, 2016 - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Creative freedom Direct line to the owners Lots of room for growth and professional development Plenty of people have been with the company 10+ years, which says a lot Ideas are heard and implemented You wear a lot of hats and have the ability to move around the company if you prove yourself

Cons

The home office is not super glamorous, you work in a warehouse... so that's what you get. A big warehouse feel lol But it is fun to come into work and see clothes/shoes everywhere every day. :)

AKIRA Response

Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review :)

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Ok to work for but tough managers

Jul 8, 2021 - Stylist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really competitive- a lot of freedom to do whatever makes the sale

Cons

Managers are often too pushy and make you helicopter customers

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews