KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

AKIRA

Engaged Employer

AKIRA

Add a Review

AKIRA Employee Reviews about "manager"

Updated Sep 28, 2022

Found 17 of over 272 reviews

AKIRA Owner Erikka Wang (no image)
Erikka Wang

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with(in 13 reviews)
  • "I had nice coworkers, and my managers were like friends.(in 9 reviews)
  • "Creative freedom(in 8 reviews)
  • "Great staff and great connections you build with clients.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Friendly work environment, meet different departments of the job, advancement oppurtunities(in 5 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low pay Overworked Too demanding(in 20 reviews)
  • "The District Managers do not engage with the employees in a beneficial manner that can build the company as a whole.(in 19 reviews)
  • "The management was unprofessional and childish(in 13 reviews)
  • "There is no training whatsoever.(in 11 reviews)
  • "There is absoutely no work life balance they will write you up for literally any reason.(in 10 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of AKIRA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "manager"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company to Grow With

Oct 23, 2017 - Area Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

AKIRA has given me many opportunities for growth. I started working at Akira 5 years ago and have moved up from a part time stylist to an area manager. What initially drew me in to Akira was the overall positive work environment, the fashion, and the freedom to grow at my own pace. The managers before me really invested in my growth and success. Most companies don't give you the freedom to think and act like an owner, they micromanage you. At Akira, you are given the freedom to be relentless about making your business successful. This means growing your business through clienteling, client shopping parties, social media, throwing events, and passing out flyers to drive your own business. Working for Akira means working for a community of down to earth, hard working, passionate individuals. I've always enjoyed working and growing alongside supportive people who have pushed me to do more than I ever thought I could do.

Cons

There is nothing black and white about your career at Akira. There is no set path to get you where you want to go. You must be a self starter in order to be successful at Akira. You have to be relentless. This job is for people with passion, people who can think and act like an owner. Working for Akira is rewarding if you have the heart to do it.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Removed my old review

Sep 27, 2017 - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The friends I made while at Akira are amazing.

Cons

I worked here for over 2 years. Was never offered a single raise. I told them I accepted another job and they immediately offered me a 10k raise to not leave. They offered to back date it and never did. Had one of the Area managers come talk me out of quitting. Saw she was with a different company a month later. They pay every single person differently and it isn't based on performance. When I found out my base pay compared to others in the same roll I almost fainted. Every single manager meeting was hours long and unpaid. Every single meeting was different. They would start a new program to teach managers and then suddenly it would switch to a new program. I don't think in my 2 years with the company did they ever complete a single program they started. The quality of the product was awful and the sales goals given were more than all the product in the store, making it impossible to bonus.

4 people found this review helpful

AKIRA Response

Hey ! I’m sorry that was your experience, please reach out to recruiting@shopakira.com with more details. Thanks for the feedback !

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Store manager

Sep 25, 2017 - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very big on development and growth. You carve your on path based off of your best talents. You can make as much money as you set your mind to! The company is set up unlike any company I have ever worked for. Very attentive to your individual needs as a manager!

Cons

It’s challenging switching from a big corporation to a smaller business. If you can adapt it’s refreshing and great for your growth.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Long work hours that don't coincide with pay

Jul 14, 2019 - Warehouse Stock Associate in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

A Job 30% off discount to Akira Friendly employees and manager

Cons

Expected to work 10 hour shifts (8-6) with a one hour lunch Schedule is suppose to be M-F, however, the plague of being asked to work every Saturday every week is completely having no regard for family or work-life balance

2 people found this review helpful

5. 1.0
    Former Employee

Sep 30, 2022 - Contact Center Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the coworkers were decent people. That’s all I got.

Cons

Filthy warehouse where the owners dogs were allowed to poop and pee inside and it remain there for hours at time uncleaned. No temperature regulation in the warehouse so it was always freezing. Owners and managers thought working from home was a “privilege.” No PTO. Lots of favoritism from the manager towards his favorite employees. No perks.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Do Not Recommend

Aug 24, 2021 - Customer Service in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Decent hours -Wear whatever you want -Good insurance

Cons

-Poor management style -No manager support -Lacks structure -Manager took no escalations

7. 2.0
    Former Employee

Stylist

Nov 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-You get the occasional customer who is really nice to talk to and you can style for over an hour and they'll buy some items. -Styling is fun and very fast paced, so the shift goes by quickly. -30% discount. -Freedom to wear whatever you want. -Helps you with becoming more open in conversation and outgoing and just better at sales obviously. -Carry adidas, champion, etc.

Cons

-Unequal pay, you start off with a different salary than the rest of the stylists (I was under 18 at the time and got 4% commission and $5 something base pay) but I am positive others got more than me, I was just manipulated due to my age even though I had much job and interning experience. -I got yelled at for not selling like 3 items per transaction, only 1.9 on average yet I sold the most that day and usually the managers sell the most. -Manager will one moment act like your best friend and two minutes later be the biggest monster. -The whole brand has overly high expectations for what they are and how much they pay. -There would sometimes be 2 other stylists booked with me on like a Wednesday afternoon and so it would be nearly impossible to make over $6 an hour. -Manager forcing you to close the store usually as late as 3 hours after closing even if you had high school classes at 7:30 am the next day. -The staff is very clique-y, over invested in Akira, and ageist. -Disorganized management. -The people who have worked Akira for more than a year life's are centered around just Akira and don't have much going for them. -Difficult to get hired. -More respected employees who have worked there longer can easily steal costumers and commission from newer employees, but if the situation is reversed you will be close to getting fired. -Each store is managed so differently from the next. -Make it seem like you have a chance to begin a career as a real career stylist, but never really happens.

1 person found this review helpful

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Most Insulting Experience I've Ever Had!

Jul 9, 2012 - Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Well... They pay their managers a pretty decent and competitive salary.

Cons

I submitted my resume and was contacted within a few days of submission. The HR person on the phone who interviewed me described the job as Store Manager, described what one would typically think of as a boutique store manager, and then mentioned all the bits about not being a corporate company and looking for people who wanted to be able to make a store their own. Sounded great. I did my homework. Looked online at the reviews of the company, asked around to different people that either worked there or knew people from there. I had one interview that the District Manager was almost an hour late to. (I'm told this is habit for her.) She asked me my employment background, what I wanted to do as Store Manager, etc. Typical questions. She asked what I liked to wear when I wasn't at work, and I told her I'm typically in pretty casual cargo shorts and a tank top or gym gear. She seemed satisfied with that answer. Told me the same things that the HR phone interviewer said. I'd need to hire staff because they needed a fuller staff. I'd need to fix up operations and work on instituting better clientele procedures. It seemed like a match. I was hired on the spot. I get there the first day to realize I'm not the Store Manager, but something like a 2nd assistant manager or co-manager, but, really, they wanted me to be a sales associate. They told me I had to make $1500 a day, which I thought was a decent if not large goal. I also found out from the girl that ostensibly was the real store manager that muchl that ostensibly was the real store manager that muchl that ostensibly was the real store manager that much of the job description was false. I wasn't actually going to be responsible for all of the stuff they told me. That was her job. Also, I found out on the first day that the benefits package they told me about was false. The insurance, time off, and all the rest of it was some amalgam of untrue and kind of true. Over the course of the first four days, I was told on different occasions that I should consider wearing make-up, should wear high heels, should wear a dress or other women's clothing. This is not only insulting, but verges on illegal. I told the District Manager on the first day that I wouldn't be wearing anything like that, and she said it was ok to dress however I wanted. I was taken off the sales floor repeatedly, beginning with day 1, and asked whether I thought this was 'working out'. I was given an indication that the $1500 sales goal was not a goal, but a requirement. With price points hovering around the $30-$50 range, and with the kind of clientele the store currently has, saying it was outrageous would be an understatement. I began to get concerned when, on the 2nd day, I found out that the first in-person manager I interviewed with had quit. She hadn't even been with the company a full year, and that sends quite a number of red flags to someone who was already wondering if they'd made the right decision. The process of pulling me off the floor continued every single day, 2-3 times a day at least, with the conversations becoming increasingly more exasperated. I was belittled and made to feel like there was something wrong with me and given the strong hint - though it was never stated out loud - that I would probably end up unemployed in the next day if I didn't hit that $1500 mark. No defense was good enough. I had never been given any training, and I was told during one of these berating sessions that I wasn't going to be given any training on the product or anything else and that I just needed to figure it out or I'd be working elsewhere. As most of the people that reviewed the interviews stated, any question I asked was treated like a giant annoyance. Everything I was told about the job description, the benefits, the salary, the expectations, the needs of the business, the daily tasks...everything was a lie. I have never felt so insulted or treated so poorly on a job, and I have never in my life heard of someone not being trained in any way and then let go almost immediately after being hired to a management position. This company's tactics are wretched and deceitful, and just about everyone who's heard this story has begged me to either hit them with a lawsuit or report them to some unemployment authority or other. The problem is that they take pride in the awful treatment of their employees and management. The amount of associate turnover is insane, and they seem to love it. Suffice it to say, I don't see this company lasting another 10 years, at least not in the suburbs. They cultivate a rude, crass environment and any sane person looking for a good job should stay the hell away from this place. There's a reason that all 5 suburb stores they opened less than a year ago are already looking to hire managers. They all quit! The stores aren't making plan, and yet they don't want to deviate from their current strategy of hiring and firing people as fast as they can - both associates and managers. BIG. RED. FLAG! I was looking for a new job by the end of the first day.

14 people found this review helpful