KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

AKIRA

Engaged Employer

AKIRA

Add a Review

AKIRA Employee Reviews about "staff"

Updated Sep 28, 2022

Found 16 of over 272 reviews

AKIRA Owner Erikka Wang (no image)
Erikka Wang

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with(in 12 reviews)
  • "I had nice coworkers, and my managers were like friends.(in 10 reviews)
  • "Creative freedom(in 7 reviews)
  • "Great staff and great connections you build with clients.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Friendly work environment, meet different departments of the job, advancement oppurtunities(in 5 reviews)
Cons
  • "The District Managers do not engage with the employees in a beneficial manner that can build the company as a whole.(in 18 reviews)
  • "Low pay Overworked Too demanding(in 17 reviews)
  • "The management was unprofessional and childish(in 14 reviews)
  • "There is no training whatsoever.(in 10 reviews)
  • "There is absoutely no work life balance they will write you up for literally any reason.(in 9 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of AKIRA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "staff"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0

Good Experience - Opportunities to Advance

Sep 18, 2011 - Stylist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Are great at helping you expand on your interests within the fashion industry. Showed interest in fashion shows and they quickly involved me. Passionate owners. Good company to work for.

Cons

no benefits made available to staff.

2. 5.0

Great Job, Hard Work, LOOooooW pay

May 17, 2011 - Akira Stylist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

nice staff fun events Love the clothhing

Cons

4 an hour plus 4% commission. Also not making atleast 8/hour is not happening

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Former Employee

Lots of very unprofessional fun

Sep 13, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

You will either love or hate your coworkers. It's never a boring day at Akira. If you are a people person, being a stylist will be perfect for you since your job is to greet each customer that walks into the store and be their best friend for the entirety of their visit. You get a 30% discount off of full-priced items and 10% off of sale items. Any position (stylist or tasker) is essentially an all-encompassing retail experience since they basically teach you to do everything if you've been there for long enough. Opportunities exist for moving up from tasker to stylist to displays to corporate.

Cons

If you have a loose personality, you will get along with everyone but if you're at all uptight, you will not like the people you work with AT ALL. The staff from corporate to in store management are all very immature and unprofessional. They gossip about each other and the customers 99% of the time and it's all about selling, selling, selling even if you have to shove it down their throats or give them a discount so they'll buy that extra item. Depending on where your store is located, you may receive more unpleasant customers than others but expect some of your clientele to be demanding low-class citizens.

8 people found this review helpful

AKIRA Response

Hey ! I’m sorry that was your experience, please reach out to recruiting@shopakira.com with more details. Thanks for the feedback !

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work with a high potential for growth

Sep 14, 2017 - Department Head in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

From the owners to the upper management to the staff, everyone loves to work hard and have a good time doing it. I love working for a company that recognizes my hard work and dedication.

Cons

The only thing missing is VENDING MACHINES!!

5. 5.0

Store manager

Nov 14, 2018 - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love working here! Great staff and great connections you build with clients. I had great communication with the owners when needed. They made me feel like it was my own store. Great quality products and love the employee discount.

Cons

If you don't like to sell and help multiple clients at the same time this place is not for you. It gets busy and is fast pace. It's hourly plus commission so the more you sell the more money you make.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Chaotic, but fun while it lasted.

Jun 7, 2021 - Assistant Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very hardworking and close knit staff. Inclusion and diversity. Nice coworkers, no dress code, fun music, beautiful selection of merchandise. Praises team for accomplishing goals daily, monthly, etc. Large staff allows room for growth. Great networking opportunities. Customers become clients or even friends. Can maximize every paycheck with commission and monthly bonuses due to high traffic and sales volume. Celebs shop there sometimes. Managers are always strategizing on how to improve.

Cons

Little organization or structure, though not at fault of the team. They are doing the best they can with the resources provided and manage to keep a great attitude. Severely understaffed store and overworked employees across the board. No rotating Saturdays, you work every Saturday unless requested off. Seems as though the money being made came into this location very fast and no one was prepared. This role is task focused even though you are expected a certain amount of sales each month (very hard to balance), not the role for managers with a more operations or visual focused background, that is a completely different department with this company. If that is your interest inquire about every position available during the interview process! It was not clearly communicated to me upfront that my role was solely that of a selling manager, as my background is more broad. I believe this was due to the management setup being similar to that of a department/big box store where as I come from a more boutique like environment. I’m sure it was assumed that I was aware. I have 10 years of retail experience, 5 of those years in management and felt like a brand new associate working for this company. So many managers made it difficult to show my true skill set. I really wanted to like this job, the people there genuinely want their people to be successful and have fun but are struggling to build a solid staff. If you thrive off of an extremely high paced, hectic environment you’ll love it, not so much of you need a bit more control over your environment day to day.

7. 3.0
    Current Employee

Overall you put in more work than what you get back.

Feb 10, 2014 - Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

fast paced (time goes by quickly IF it's busy), generally fun staff unless your new store manager is nuts (since managers get shifted around every other month, well not every other month but you catch my drift) Semi ok pay in spring/summer when it's busy, an OK discount, and you can wear whatever you want (unless it's not 'akira' *eye roll* )

Cons

you usually get yelled at for your wrongs before being rewarded for your rights, basically giving them your soul still isn't "enough" (draining for the small amount they pay employees). Some managers are the devil reincarnated but the owners and GM like that I guess since they never seem to get rid of them. Micro-managing is a big theme for many managers as well (which is basically the absolute WORST managing anyone can do :) ! (sigh)

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Merrillville IN AKIRA

May 25, 2013 - Cashier in Merrillville, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fashion forward clothing employee discount flexible hours Many positions available Not very many pros other than these to be honest.

Cons

Unprofessional management Pushy staff Target customers tend to be annoying Unorganized Staff will seem nice at first then give you the cold shoulder once you have the job unless you're in their clique. Training is unorganized if present at all

5 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0

Akira Review

May 3, 2022 - Cashier/Tasker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Kind staff Good employee discount

Cons

Difficult customers, as well as long shifts

10. 2.0

Stylist

Nov 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-You get the occasional customer who is really nice to talk to and you can style for over an hour and they'll buy some items. -Styling is fun and very fast paced, so the shift goes by quickly. -30% discount. -Freedom to wear whatever you want. -Helps you with becoming more open in conversation and outgoing and just better at sales obviously. -Carry adidas, champion, etc.

Cons

-Unequal pay, you start off with a different salary than the rest of the stylists (I was under 18 at the time and got 4% commission and $5 something base pay) but I am positive others got more than me, I was just manipulated due to my age even though I had much job and interning experience. -I got yelled at for not selling like 3 items per transaction, only 1.9 on average yet I sold the most that day and usually the managers sell the most. -Manager will one moment act like your best friend and two minutes later be the biggest monster. -The whole brand has overly high expectations for what they are and how much they pay. -There would sometimes be 2 other stylists booked with me on like a Wednesday afternoon and so it would be nearly impossible to make over $6 an hour. -Manager forcing you to close the store usually as late as 3 hours after closing even if you had high school classes at 7:30 am the next day. -The staff is very clique-y, over invested in Akira, and ageist. -Disorganized management. -The people who have worked Akira for more than a year life's are centered around just Akira and don't have much going for them. -Difficult to get hired. -More respected employees who have worked there longer can easily steal costumers and commission from newer employees, but if the situation is reversed you will be close to getting fired. -Each store is managed so differently from the next. -Make it seem like you have a chance to begin a career as a real career stylist, but never really happens.

1 person found this review helpful