KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

AKIRA

Engaged Employer

AKIRA

Add a Review

AKIRA Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Jul 14, 2021

Found 19 of over 272 reviews

3.1
AKIRA Owner Erikka Wang (no image)
Erikka Wang

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with(in 12 reviews)
  • "I had nice coworkers, and my managers were like friends.(in 10 reviews)
  • "Creative freedom(in 7 reviews)
  • "Great staff and great connections you build with clients.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Friendly work environment, meet different departments of the job, advancement oppurtunities(in 5 reviews)
Cons
  • "The District Managers do not engage with the employees in a beneficial manner that can build the company as a whole.(in 18 reviews)
  • "Low pay Overworked Too demanding(in 17 reviews)
  • "The management was unprofessional and childish(in 14 reviews)
  • "There is no training whatsoever.(in 10 reviews)
  • "There is absoutely no work life balance they will write you up for literally any reason.(in 9 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of AKIRA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company to Grow With

Oct 23, 2017 - Area Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

AKIRA has given me many opportunities for growth. I started working at Akira 5 years ago and have moved up from a part time stylist to an area manager. What initially drew me in to Akira was the overall positive work environment, the fashion, and the freedom to grow at my own pace. The managers before me really invested in my growth and success. Most companies don't give you the freedom to think and act like an owner, they micromanage you. At Akira, you are given the freedom to be relentless about making your business successful. This means growing your business through clienteling, client shopping parties, social media, throwing events, and passing out flyers to drive your own business. Working for Akira means working for a community of down to earth, hard working, passionate individuals. I've always enjoyed working and growing alongside supportive people who have pushed me to do more than I ever thought I could do.

Cons

There is nothing black and white about your career at Akira. There is no set path to get you where you want to go. You must be a self starter in order to be successful at Akira. You have to be relentless. This job is for people with passion, people who can think and act like an owner. Working for Akira is rewarding if you have the heart to do it.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Friendly people

Apr 28, 2021 - Assistant Visual Merchandiser in Aurora, IL

Pros

Cons

Disorganized, low pay, some managerial issues

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Working at AKIRA

May 4, 2022 - Retail Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can be authentically yourself. Fast paced work environment. Fashion forward. Open and honest communication from leadership and employees. Servant Leadership. Support from leadership. Travel.

Cons

Lack of work/life balance. Your work email is connected to your personal device so you always feel like you're working, even when your off. Long hours. Normal retail struggles.

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic work environment

Feb 9, 2018 - Stylist
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Flexible scheduling -ability to earn higher because of sales commission -employee discount is good

Cons

-petty managers who hold empty promises -extremely high employee turnover rate -sick days strongly discouraged even if you are dying! -intense work environment; upper management expects you to be at 1,000% at all times which leads to a fast burnout rate -low commission and hourly rate for stylists -cheap owners that do nothing to help elevate stores that are physically falling apart -stores never equipped with proper supplies

AKIRA Response

Hey ! I’m sorry that was your experience, please reach out to recruiting@shopakira.com with more details. Thanks for the feedback !

5. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Micro management and abusive workplace

Apr 20, 2022 - Buyer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of potential as a business and that's it

Cons

-Abusive work environment -Excessive work hours -HORRIBLE workplace ( literally filthy warehouse in a very bad area). -Owners fight in front of the team, are verbally abusive - Micromanage the team in a way that makes anyone's work impossible. For sure the worst work environment and company I've been part of. The turnover in all positions is super high (no wonder why), one day you are a great fit the next something happens and they start bulling people around for no particular reason. - Saw them asking for employees to write good reviews here to get their numbers up. But it's quite hard to make so many bad reviews with a lot of the same points vanish. Highly encourage anyone that believes this is a place to work (as I did) to not lose your time and life in a company with no values and respect for people.

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Very solid place to work

May 19, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Akira hires plenty of people, and it was a great environment to work in. My boss and coworkers were fantastic; now that I'm gone, I still consider many of the people I worked with, friends.

Cons

It was a fairly boring job, and the pay is pretty much minimum wage. Sometimes the building would shut down and we'd have to close early, even an hour into a shift that I had to commute 30 minutes for. Kind of frustrating.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Current Employee

it’s okay but..

Nov 16, 2021 - Cashier in Aurora, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

It’s a fun environment to work around

Cons

You do not get payed enough for how hard you work

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great work environment for young fashion students

Nov 13, 2019 - Cashier in Aurora, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employee Discount Diversity of Employees Work environment culture is super supportive

Cons

Discount only works in store

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

No benefits

Jun 20, 2021 - Customer Service Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

laidback work environment and parties from time to time

Cons

No communication or management support. Manger will not take escalations nor do they care about their team.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great work environment

Jul 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

All employees are collaborative and work well with one another. The work environment is very positive.

Cons

Not the best work space, however it is easy to work with colleagues.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews