AKQA Reviews

Updated Jun 1, 2020

3.7
AKQA CEO Ajaz Ahmed
Ajaz Ahmed
Pros
  • "Great agency with great people and exciting clients and projects(in 53 reviews)

• "Great clients, competitive salaries, and great culture(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "When you're striving for excellence it can mean long hours but that's the nature of the industry and we all work together to try and solve for this(in 60 reviews)

• "Work/life balance close to non-existent(in 54 reviews)

"Great Place to work"

5.0

I have been working at AKQA full-time

Pros

Great clients, competitive salaries, and great culture

Cons

There will be times that you are stretched too thin working on multiple projects, however, teammates are very understanding and are willing to work with you.

AKQA2020-05-14

"Not the best place to grow"

Former Employee - Junior Strategic Planner in Portland, OR

I worked at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great blue chip brands - beautiful office space - amazing , smart, creative people

Cons

- poor leadership - poor people management - lack of empathy - very obvious glass ceiling

AKQA2020-05-28

"Run... and keep running"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at AKQA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There WERE a ton of great people there... but they're not there anymore as many left for greener pastures or got laid off

Cons

- Pays way below market - You'll never get a salary increase - No direction in strategy - Business development is MIA - Management sucks - No work/life balance - Best talent is long gone

AKQA2020-05-14

"Work Hard, Play Hard"

Current Employee - Associate Media Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people and culture are incredible. We continue to bring in smart/fun people and it truly makes work more enjoyable. Our leadership team is very accessible and transparent, the work is very advanced, and our clients are extremely trusting. I've also experienced the best work/life balance out of the 5 agencies I've worked at.

Cons

Health insurance

AKQA2020-04-07
  5. "Agency that rewards creativity and innovation"

Current Employee - Client Partner in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is a ton of opportunity to grow your career, work with incredible brands, be a part of some of the most innovative work in the industry and be surrounded by a bunch of awesome people who are the best at what they do. Leadership at the local level is very strong and the management cares about the personal development and well-being of the teams.

Cons

For such a large company, there could be more shared resources and infrastructure at the corporate level.

AKQA2020-04-06

"Mostly old white men playing the blame game and shady business practices. Clients beware!"

1.0
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice office, lots of creative work, and talented people at the individual contributor level. Work on difficult projects and make a big impact on clients. Free food.

Cons

Old white boys club at the top that loves to play favorites so get ready to see lots of nepotism if you decide to work here. If your senior manager ever looks bad, he will gladly throw you under the bus and put the blame on you. Some shady--blatantly fraudulent business practices used here where associates are asked to lie about metrics we report to clients. (I have been asked to sign NDAs multiple times.) Yikes!

AKQA2020-04-30
  7. "Senior Data Analyst"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

No shortage of opportunities to work on big name clients. I was lucky to be on good teams and worked for awesome managers.

Cons

Management is pretty chaotic. But just like anywhere else, work is what you make it.

AKQA2020-03-13
  8. "Great circle of talented"

4.0
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very talented group of people with high motivations and inspirations.

Cons

Long hours, and top down decision making.

AKQA2020-03-09

"The "grown ups" of the ATL agency landscape. Stable client portfolio, very talented teams."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Consistently some of the most talented folks I've worked with. Major name-brand clients - most are long standing retainer relationships and none are satisfied with the status quo so the work is inspiring. Very little pitching, so you can focus on the work and not be always be distracted by chasing your next meal. Office is in a great location in Midtown.

Cons

Even with a steady roster of accounts, there is still a lot of growth happening, which can create resource challenges as new work is kicked-off. Hiring can seem slow because leads are very selective with candidates. Once we land a few key hires - this should level out over the next six months or so.

AKQA2020-02-25

"Run away..."

1.0
    Former Employee - Designer in Portland, OR

I worked at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some coworkers are incredible genuine people. Great developers and some super smart people. Lots of good intentions when it comes to equity and inclusion even if they aren't allowed to follow through. You're paid well to feel terrible.

Cons

Work/life balance close to non-existent. Get used to working after hours and on weekends. Lack of vision from a majority of the senior-tier. Lack of ideas and motivation on projects/pitches, no vision for the company overall. Some people who have been proven to hold the team back / do zero work continue to stay and be overpaid. You're expected to pick up the slack. It's a boys club when it comes to actual bodies and who moves forward on exciting projects. If you're a woman, be prepared to be selected for projects that are "female-centric" such as beauty, fashion, or greeting cards.

AKQA2020-03-17