AKQA Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
AKQA CEO Ajaz Ahmed
Ajaz Ahmed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Absolutely great people to work with" (in 46 reviews)

• "Great clients, the people are very friendly and intelligent, dogs are allowed in the office" (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "the clients are demanding and control a lot when it comes to work/life balance" (in 46 reviews)

• "long hours, lack of leadership support, fragmented management team" (in 48 reviews)

1. "Great company"

I worked at AKQA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked in the media department, Scott Symonds is a great leader and produce innovative work

Cons

Opportunity for more cross department moves

Advice to Management

Continue fostering an environment where people can grow in their roles

"Poor Work/Life Balance, Inexperienced Program Managers, 2 Sets of Layoffs Due to Poor Management"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at AKQA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Creative and UX team worked hard to produce quality work and legitimately cared for what they were making

Cons

-There have been 2 rounds of layoffs in the last 4 months alone. About 35 people have lost their jobs due to poor management
    -Managers often have less experience than the people they're overseeing and lack the skills to actually assist (yelling at people and acting sullen and standoffish isn't a solution)
    -Little to no Work / Life Balance (Work till 10 or 11 at night in preparation for a weelly client on-site that you have to be at the office for by 7, which you won't get home from until 7 that night)
    -Cliquey culture

Advice to Management

Hire more accomplished people for Program Manager / Creative Direction level positions so that people don't need to work grueling hours to make up for the time higher-ups would have spent reviewing the work if there was enough of them. Figure out your actual budget based on hard numbers rather than projected before you lay off what few remaining employees you have in the NY office.

"Acceptable, but not sustainable"

Current Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY

I have been working at AKQA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kind coworkers, nice location and office.

Cons

Political and cliquey at times, high turnover, bad review process.

Advice to Management

Audit and train line managers, and simplify hierarchy. I had six managers in four years. The majority of them didn't work with me, and two barely ever spoke to me.

"Pleasantly surprised!"

Current Employee - Group Creative Director in Sea Cliff, NY
    Current Employee - Group Creative Director in Sea Cliff, NY

I have been working at AKQA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People and culture - it’s been a long time since I worked at a place where there are zero stink bombs. Everyone is super talented, the get togethers are a blast, the snacks and cold brew are plentiful.

Not a production shop - everything we do is strategic. We don’t just ask for research, or suggest analysis - we actually do it. It’s baked into everything we do. So our design is not led by the biggest ego, or loudest voice in the room, it’s led by the customer.

It’s a chance to be the voice of the customer, to be their inside line to help big corporations work for them.

Cons

Client work can have its ups and downs. If you’re not up for learning how to present, sell your ideas, back them up with research, etc, then this might not be the right place for you. It can be tough.

Some people don’t like it here because we have big corporate clients.

Advice to Management

Get yourselves out there more to let people know what we’ve got going on. Before I started here, I had no way to know that we walk the talk on being a strategic digital partner to our clients. Everyone says it, but this is the only place I’ve been where we actually do it.

5. "Great Culture"

I have been working at AKQA full-time

Pros

Free Coffee, Nice Office, Nice Location,

Cons

Benefits Could use Improvement, and a wellness program

Advice to Management

Great location, great culture. NO Changes needed

"Great culture, great work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AKQA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture of creative rigor, nothing sloppy ever goes out the door. Full of super smart, fun, compassionate people who stick around for years and are invested in making the place great. Office leadership cares about employees and wants to do great work. Really fantastic work-life balance, lots of people have families. Lots of upward mobility and career opportunities; they reward people who jump in and take on new responsibilities. Big clients and exciting projects in the emerging tech space are the norm.

Cons

Some accounts have been with the agency for years and feel stale. Wish there would have been a greater focus on new business.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on great work, and great people.

7. "Great Place to Grow"

I worked at AKQA full-time

Pros

Everyone is clever and creative. It's a fast paced environment with exciting and innovative projects.

Cons

Work life balance can be tough. There are high expectations and a culture of people who work late.

"Great place to work, but not without a few flaws"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture - AKQA by far has the best culture of any company I have worked for. They put a lot of effort into making this a fun and collaborative place to work, providing opportunities to expand your horizons both professionally (toastmasters, skillshares) and personally (clubs, movie nights).

Trust and Empowerment – For the most part, your manager will empower you to forge your own path and way of working that plays into your skillset, strengths and areas of interest.

Inclusion and Diversity - AKQA has made a lot of strides to address gender wage gap, unconscious bias training, etc.

Cons

Communication and Professional Development – I realize this is a contradiction to the two pro’s, but you hit a professional plateau once you’ve been promoted to middle management. It seems executive team withholds or sugar coats information as a power move so they always stay relevant to client work and doesn’t allow others the opportunity to take complete ownership of a project.

Moving the goalposts – Similar note to above, you could be trending towards a promotion and leadership moves the goalposts to make it increasingly difficult to move into the next position. This results in great talent leaving for greener pastures, executives scrambling to counter-offer to keep them, and our teams under-resourced. Recognize good talent early on, embrace their career development and pay them competitive salaries.

More training!

Advice to Management

Your best talent is already here.

9. "Assiciate designer"

Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at AKQA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people!!!nice work have fun

Cons

Work hard and passionate great

"Media Supervisor"

Current Employee - Digital Media Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Media Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with an awesome agency culture. Support in movement to other opportunities within the company.

Cons

Some politics as with any agency.