AKQA Reviews | Glassdoor

AKQA CEO Ajaz Ahmed
Ajaz Ahmed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Unbeatable opportunities and an empowering platform"

Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at AKQA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AKQA is an organization that's constantly evolving, striving to set the pace together with great brands. But it also stays true to the values and philosophy set forth by Ajaz and team from day one. This relentless commitment to AKQA's DNA has proven successful, especially when coupled with a vision hungry for growth and evolution. Fundamentally, it's this mentality, in addition to an opportunity-rich environment filled with seriously talented, unique, and kind people that drew me into the company.

Like any firm, AKQA goes through ups and downs, but it's carried forward by a fighting spirit that translates into constant innovation, unbeatable thought, and intense creativity. Total belief in the work has helped the company, as well as the people that share that belief, thrive.

I can confidently say that AKQA offers strong opportunities for growth (the next chapter is always being defined), diverse connections and engagements globally, as well as an environment filled with brilliant people – both as professionals and individuals.

Whether you're in it for the long haul or not, AKQA is a company that sets you up for success, agnostic of your industry of choice, because the values and activities the company is involved with are universally applicable (and highly regarded).

Cons

AKQA is an incredibly diverse company, in the sense that it's welcoming and empowering for anyone connected to it. But the degree to which this happens does sometimes hinge on having the initiative, energy, and willingness to make things happen. In other words, you'll get the most out of it if you're hands on, genuinely passionate, and care about what you're doing for the clients, the organization, and the people.

More broadly, there are some gaps that the company is working on. None of them would deter me from recommending AKQA, especially as the environment is incredibly flexible and friendly. For the most part, if you want to make something happen (and it makes sense), AKQA is absolutely ready to support.

Advice to Management

Continue to look forward and create concrete change. Keep empowering young people to be part of this change.

2. "Almost a perfect storm"

Current Employee - Creative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Creative in New York, NY

I have been working at AKQA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very engaged and clever people everywhere you look. Clients are world class and your growth is built upon how well you perform.

AKQA recognizes the courageously bold, and those who aren't afraid to take risks and punch above their weight. We have developed some of the most innovative work over the past decade, and will continue to do so given the freedom to create.

Cons

Work life balance is tough, but to be expected. Comp days and working hours are a plus as long as you handle the work. Inefficiencies in process is our biggest problem. Senior leadership often defers responsibilities, and things don't move along unless there is a fire drill.

Advice to Management

Spend more time resolving our inefficiencies, and learn how to stop burning out your best talent.

3. "Very nice agency"

Former Employee - Traffic Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Traffic Manager in New York, NY

I worked at AKQA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice Human Resources Team, Account Team

Cons

No cons, everything is good.

Advice to Management

Keep doing good job

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AKQA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are passionate about what they do and find innovative ways to express that, both through client work and internal office projects. Employees are approachable and willing to help/share their area of expertise.

The culture and people are great. There are a lot of ways to get involved and feel connected to the company and other employees, with cross-collaboration for inclusive office projects, and different after work events, programs, and teams. Monday morning breakfast doesn't hurt either :)

The company gives off a forward-looking approach. It seems that they value their employees and look to find ways to help with career growth and progression.

Cons

The elevators can be painfully slow?

5. "Great People, Great Place"

Current Contractor - Copywriter in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - Copywriter in Portland, OR

I have been working at AKQA as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

* Incredible people who have their hands in many pots
    * Opportunity and support for creative growth
    * Great benefits, some of the best I've come across
    * Dogs can come into the office with you :)
    * Idk, it's just a super solid work environment

Cons

*parking in the area is super expensive
    * the trail mix has too much chocolate in it

"It's what you make of it"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work on great client accounts, and learn from top tier talent if you make the effort to meet people outside of your team and aren't afraid to put your neck out there.

Cons

It's a large agency, so you can too easily isolate yourself in your work and within your team.

Advice to Management

Continue to create opportunities for junior and mid-level staff to prove their value, and to learn from senior staff.

"Amazing career start"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at AKQA full-time

Pros

- the people are helpful, kind, and know how to get things done
    - fresh fruit and snacks
    - beautiful, collaborative office space
    - always striving to be ahead technologically
    - encouraging of inward movement
    - diverse
    - encourage time off
    - monthly group happy hours

Cons

- communication and expectation barriers; a lot of transplants from the UK and Europe

Advice to Management

Love the diversity and community in the office. Continue hiring awesome people! They really are what make this place so wonderful. So far, it has been nothing but a positive environment for building relationships and encouragement of career growth. I feel really fortunate to have started my career in this office.

"Associate Account Director"

Current Employee - Associate Account Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Account Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful office, great team, great managing director

Cons

would be great to have free lunches on a more regular basis

"Best agency in DC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at AKQA full-time

Pros

Most thoughtful and hard-working people you'll ever work with.

Cons

Have to be a self-starter to really succeed.

Advice to Management

Spend more on training.

"Great Agency, Fun Staff, Intensely Creative"

Current Employee - Art Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Art Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about this office of AKQA is how happy and connected the staff are. Every day I come into work I see smiles on everyone's faces. People are happy here. This is the Bay Area so it's Tech focused...that means the vibe is a perfect mix of nerdy and cool. They have an impressive roster of clients and a killer work ethic. On a daily basis, I'm reminded that I'm working amongst the most talented and innovative people in the world. I'm constantly amazed at the ideas coming out of my coworkers...who come from all over the world. Everything is a team effort. At other agencies, there is a sink or swim mentality projected on to individuals. At AKQA SF, it feels like the team sinks or swims together. They have an amazing wellness manager who works to bring people together and encourage healthiness. It's a great place to hang out.

Cons

Um, where's the beer on tap? No nap pods? I suppose ping pong and kegorators of cold brew coffee will have to do.

Advice to Management

Keep listening, Keep inspiring the team to reach for the stars.