AKQA Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
AKQA CEO Ajaz Ahmed
Ajaz Ahmed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great people, brands and leadership (in 38 reviews)

• Great clients, some of the best quality developers in the biz (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • I assume that at times work / life balance will not be ideal, but that is true for every agency in London (in 36 reviews)

• Work culture of working very very long hours (in 45 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Unbeatable opportunities and an empowering platform"

Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at AKQA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AKQA is an organization that's constantly evolving, striving to set the pace together with great brands. But it also stays true to the values and philosophy set forth by Ajaz and team from day one. This relentless commitment to AKQA's DNA has proven successful, especially when coupled with a vision hungry for growth and evolution. Fundamentally, it's this mentality, in addition to an opportunity-rich environment filled with seriously talented, unique, and kind people that drew me into the company.

Like any firm, AKQA goes through ups and downs, but it's carried forward by a fighting spirit that translates into constant innovation, unbeatable thought, and intense creativity. Total belief in the work has helped the company, as well as the people that share that belief, thrive.

I can confidently say that AKQA offers strong opportunities for growth (the next chapter is always being defined), diverse connections and engagements globally, as well as an environment filled with brilliant people – both as professionals and individuals.

Whether you're in it for the long haul or not, AKQA is a company that sets you up for success, agnostic of your industry of choice, because the values and activities the company is involved with are universally applicable (and highly regarded).

Cons

AKQA is an incredibly diverse company, in the sense that it's welcoming and empowering for anyone connected to it. But the degree to which this happens does sometimes hinge on having the initiative, energy, and willingness to make things happen. In other words, you'll get the most out of it if you're hands on, genuinely passionate, and care about what you're doing for the clients, the organization, and the people.

More broadly, there are some gaps that the company is working on. None of them would deter me from recommending AKQA, especially as the environment is incredibly flexible and friendly. For the most part, if you want to make something happen (and it makes sense), AKQA is absolutely ready to support.

Advice to Management

Continue to look forward and create concrete change. Keep empowering young people to be part of this change.

"Tough but exciting times"

Current Employee - Account Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AKQA has invested in some super smart people, really evident in the data science department which is particularly impressive. New clients are also starting to come in and are opening up new exciting opportunities.

Cons

The industry as a whole seems like it's getting a bit tougher. There's plenty of opportunities at AKQA but you have to work for them, there's definitely no "gimmes".

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the people.

3. "Great place for the most part"

Former Employee - Creative Developer
    Former Employee - Creative Developer

I worked at AKQA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super talented team. Ability to work on many different projects. Relatively diverse.

Cons

Everyone is underpaid. The tech team are second class citizens.

"Senior Manager"

I worked at AKQA full-time

Pros

No Pros for this company as this company is full of political employees who are cheating them

Cons

Week Management and complete politicians. They hires people who are not generous to their employees and senior management don't even bothers.

Advice to Management

Stop doing politics

5. "Very nice agency"

Former Employee - Traffic Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Traffic Manager in New York, NY

I worked at AKQA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice Human Resources Team, Account Team

Cons

No cons, everything is good.

Advice to Management

Keep doing good job

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at AKQA full-time

Pros

WPP benefits
    Some good accounts to work on
    Great location

Cons

When I was offered a role there, I was over the moon in joining what I thought would be a dream job, with an inspirational leader.

How wrong was I. The truth could not be further from this.

The agency runs a culture of cut-throat bullying, which in reality comes from the top, down to every single layer of management. It is all down to who you are friends with, rather than how talented you are. Everyone is watching their backs.

In all honesty, I could not wait to meet the CEO who you'd hear lots about.

When I finally had the chance, in a meeting with colleagues, I couldn't believe the disrespect and demeaning attitude towards them. He ripped their work apart and questioned their professionalism. Needless to say, it destroyed everyone there, morally and mentally.

They took the energy out of the room, it was said.
    True leaders create new ones, not destroy them.

Many people have been leaving and the agency is all but a shell of its former self. Floors are now virtually empty and the majority of the remaining talent are looking to leave, just ask head hunters around London to get it first hand.

Success in my team was judged on how much money I saved on timesheets and not on the quality of the work the team delivered.

Don't be misled by hypocritical articles talking about culture and looking after people.
    Once you're in it is clear: It is profits before people.

Avoid. I'd not recommend this place to anyone I know and care about.

Advice to Management

It is a small industry and reputation is everything, people talk and can see beyond the shiny articles, please act fast to save what was left of an once great agency. There are still a few talented people there, but they are all looking for work. Look at the practices put in place to hide endemic bullying.

A real shock an agency in this day and age still operates this way in a city like London.

7. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at AKQA (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with the great minds in technology
    Open and engaging environment for learning and growth
    Work- life balance
    Amazing culture

Cons

I can not think of any right now.

Advice to Management

Keep this awesome culture intact

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AKQA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are passionate about what they do and find innovative ways to express that, both through client work and internal office projects. Employees are approachable and willing to help/share their area of expertise.

The culture and people are great. There are a lot of ways to get involved and feel connected to the company and other employees, with cross-collaboration for inclusive office projects, and different after work events, programs, and teams. Monday morning breakfast doesn't hurt either :)

The company gives off a forward-looking approach. It seems that they value their employees and look to find ways to help with career growth and progression.

Cons

The elevators can be painfully slow?

"Middle management sucking the joy out of the place."

Pros

The people on your same level are often amazing to work with and genuinely try their best.

Cons

The middle management staff can be incredibly irritating- kind of false front of being all laid back ("we work hard, play hard" translates to we'll work you like a dog with ridiculous deadlines that are moved at unprofessionally short notice and make up for it with some beers)

Advice to Management

Pay people fairly and stop pretending to be somewhere that cares about work-life balance- it just leaves a bad taste in our mouths.

"SWD"

Current Employee - SwD in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - SwD in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at AKQA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Project quality
    - Team
    - Work complexity
    -Openness

Cons

- High expectations from employee,

Advice to Management

Expansion in India :)