ALDI Aldi District Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
ALDI Jason Hart
Jason Hart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits package (in 203 reviews)

• Great pay depending on your location (in 289 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times (in 187 reviews)

• No Work life balance, very physically demanding job ; alot of people have back pain or work related injuries (in 59 reviews)

Current Employee - Aldi District Manager

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, great pay, great benefits, autonomy, many perks, great colleagues and leaders, lots of training opportunities, a company that truly cares for its employees and puts people first.

Cons

It's a challenging job but I wouldn't call that a "con"... I love my job!

Current Employee - Aldi District Manager

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job flexibility, benefits, leadership/empowerment and responsibility are the four big ones. The job comes with great benefits which help offset the cons associated with the position.

Cons

I would say there are pros and cons to every position, and this one often includes that at times there are long days and long weeks, the environment often comes with high amounts of stress, and there is never a true "off" day as DM's are always available for their stores.

Advice to Management

The position is great, it would be nice to see more positive feed back in the role. Often times at Aldi what needs to be fixed is more focused on than what needs to be praised, causing stress among employees.

3. "District Manager"

Current Employee - Aldi District Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Aldi District Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

freedom to make decisions and schedule, act as a business owner in every aspect

Cons

stress levels are very high. Lots of responsibility

Advice to Management

Succeed in daily operations. Show ambition and willingness to learn. Provide successful financials.

"ALDI District Manager Internship"

Former Intern - Aldi District Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Intern - Aldi District Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at ALDI as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is ridiculously high for an internship.
    The other interns I met, the mentors I had, the executives of the company are all AMAZING. They are wonderful and absolutely care about what you are doing and really care about you. The VP of the district would ask me about how my half marathon went, and always remembered the details.
    The company works to make the internship a REAL experience. You directly shadow multiple DMs and Executives, have to actually present a real project to the company, sit in on all their meetings, literally hire and interview people, you do it all.
    They will hire people who are of mostly any year in school, so as a sophomore in college I got this internship.
    The company culture is amazing.

Cons

The MAIN and pretty much only con was that the work/life balance is not there. Realistically though, they pay really well and there will always be a trade off for this. So it depends how much you love the work. Personally, I didn't find the work rewarding, but that was because I knew off the bat I wasn't interested in the work and just wanted to get some good interning experience. Most DMs work 50-60 hours a week and seem to basically live at work/ live their lives for work. It's a very rigorous environment where you are expected to be top notch all of the time. They are more stuck in the German ways of the company even in the US-- which means they are somewhat outdated and very rigorous with their work ethic.

Advice to Management

Find a way to make the work/life management more realistic to the times of today.

"great pay and benefits"

Current Employee - Aldi District Manager in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Aldi District Manager in Denton, TX

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

pay is great, very fast paced, off most major holidays

Cons

luck of te draw wit upper management, some good, some horrible leaders. Most other complaints probably typical of retail/grocery business, (no vacation during major holidays, if you are management you're on call 24/7, very demanding of your time and energy)

Advice to Management

Conduct climate surveys of director level management to find out your poor leaders

Former Employee - Aldi District Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Aldi District Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ALDI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money is great while working for this company. The problem is once you leave, you will never make that kind of money again, and everyone eventually leaves.

Cons

Not worth the money. It's a trap to get young people to come on board with the company, then you are worked to the bone. I spent an average of 80+ hours a week in the stores, on my feet at crazy hours. When I wasn't working, I had a pit in my stomach waiting for the phone to ring with an "emergency" or something that went wrong that needed immediate attention. Truthfully, I could have had 2 full time jobs, worked less and made the same amount of money with far less stress.

Advice to Management

Apply the same standards to all workers across the board. You're dealing with discount groceries, treat your people better.

"Great Pay and ok benefits"

Current Employee - Aldi District Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Aldi District Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay good benefits including comapny car with a favorable fuel expense policy. Ability to set your own schedule and some autonomy.

Cons

Back breaking work and a major commitment of your time beyond 40hrs. Encouraging the managers that work for you is challenging considering the time you require them to work and the fact that Aldi frowns upon promoting anybody from the store operations beyond store manager.

Advice to Management

Consider bonus potnetial for DMs. Open up upward mobility for store level employees and management.

"Great learning experience, but a difficult company to work for long term."

Former Employee - Aldi District Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Aldi District Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation and benefits are the best part of the job. They also give you a high amount of responsibility and you learn very quickly. They have a good reputation for having hard working employees, which is beneficial for future job searches.

Cons

You are doing the work of several people, therefore the hours are VERY long and you must be available 24/7. I would receive 3-4 calls in the middle of the night on a weekly basis and even while on vacation. It is very difficult to have a family and work for this company and little to no advancement. Training is often cut short adding additional stress and confusion. Upper management often uses fear and loss of job as main motivators. VERY high turnover at the district manager level.

Advice to Management

I've seen so many wonderful, hardworking people that work for Aldi for 3-5 years and then move on because the demands of the job are so difficult to meet. I also know we were often understaffed in the DM position in my division. Having a more welcoming, open atmosphere where DMs don't fear for their jobs on a daily basis would greatly reduce the amount of turnover and loss of some great employees.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Aldi District Manager in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Aldi District Manager in Davenport, IA

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You earn a Great Salary
    You write your own schedule
    You get to work with others constantly
    You are given a company car on day one

Cons

There are a lot of times the hours can be long and there are times it can get very stressful

"Paid for 50 hours....work 90"

Former Employee - Aldi District Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Aldi District Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay ($75,000) for district managers, company car, credit card, immediate responsibility.

Cons

Extremely conservative and uptight management. People get let go for not being aggressive enough. Worked 80-90 hours a week during store training phase. Was expected to do whatever it took to get it done regardless of hours required.

Advice to Management

Learn that people make mistakes and shouldn't be fired, but coached to improve.