ALDI Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
ALDI Jason Hart
Jason Hart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits package (in 200 reviews)

• Great pay depending on your location (in 308 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times (in 204 reviews)

• No Work life balance, very physically demanding job ; alot of people have back pain or work related injuries (in 64 reviews)

1. "A Culture of mistreatment towards women!"

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

slightly above industry standard wages

Cons

Pay attention to who works in ALDI stores...it is 99% women. Treating us like we're dumb, stupid, slow & desperate. Besides that I was told that I was to be a "robot" by upper management. "slave" workings and zero training. They throw you to the wolves in the deep end on day one and expect you to do "truck" at lightning speed. And no real training on running the forklifts. Sloppy, underdeveloped and careless safety measures with both these jobs(truck & forklift). You also will get "clocked" on every item you ring across the belt & that better be at lightning speed as well, regardless to possible damage to customers food items (big brother is watching!). And you're expected to be an octopus and perform other duties WHILE YOU'RE RINGING!!! If it's not obvious, that takes away from attention to & respect for the customer. I had a shift manager who would talk down to, curse and holler at customers...sometimes right in front of upper management. She was allowed to do this b/c she had the greatest speed on "truck". Sad! Slightly above industry wages doesn't make up for the horror behind those walls.

Advice to Management

Properly train your workers!(not just reading documents on a screen for one day...are you serious??) Learn people management. You need to do a whole overhaul of workforce....dare to create a culture of joy, diversity, integrity & morale. Don't allow your lower management to speak to your customers(internal and external)any type of way just because they rake in good numbers.

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Associate in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Associate in Troy, MI

I worked at ALDI (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are great
    You will get a nice workout

Cons

You will be over worked and have little to no appreciation, be asked to pick up shifts when you haven't even been trained or worked at all.

They are discriminatory towards those with other skills that don't necessarily pertain to this job.

You will injure yourself - it will happen because your rushed to be fast an thats all that matters.

Advice to Management

Respect your new employees and see for yourself what they are about.

3. "There Are Better Ways to Waste Your Time"

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and plenty of hours

Cons

High turnover, incompetent management, and hard physical labor

"Don't let the money blind you!"

Former Intern - District Manager Intern
    Former Intern - District Manager Intern

I worked at ALDI as an intern

Pros

You won't make $2,000 every two weeks (around $1,500 after taxes) at many other internships.

Cons

Such a strict work environment that teaches someone with a college degree (or seeking one) no valuable business skills. Keep in mind that for 10 weeks, you will be stocking shelves, ringing up groceries as a cashier, cleaning toilets and spilled soup while wearing a suit, and putting 4,000+ miles on your car. 50+ hours a week should be more like 55+ hours a week, as I only worked less than 55 hours one week. All of my DMs were pretty miserable people, and their employees seemed to follow suit.

I want to highlight the word "miserable" in this review, as it seemed that every day there was an issue with my DM or her employees. The work environment was so strict that I personally witnessed several people quit or get fired within the duration of my internship. I was also not paid for nearly 4 weeks due to a "payroll issue". Quite a few aspects of this job were handled very unprofessionally.

Realize that if you end up taking the DM job full-time, you are more than just a DM. You are the entire human resource department for all of your stores. You are responsible for ordering, shipping, stocking, cleaning, payroll, scheduling, reseting your store's shelving arrangements, working 80 hour weeks, holidays, etc. All for 80k? Do the math, not worth it. Even after 4 years of making 100k, you are still dedicating so much of your life to running a low-income grocery store... I was told that a DM works within that role on average 8-10 years. I don't know about you, but being 33 years old working 80+ hours a week running a grocery store didn't sound too appealing after spending four years in college.

To sum it up, miserable, overly-strict people work here, and it's just not worth the money or your education.

Advice to Management

Lighten up! It's 2017... people can have facial hair if they're making $12/hr. Quit creating such a tight/stressful work environment. Money isn't everything, and your model of attracting talent by offering them a sizable salary is only going to bring higher turnover rates (1/30 people end up taking the DM position after the internship for a reason!)

5. "Not worth it"

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

The starting pay is great to start off, excellent benefits, and the amount of work makes the time goes by fast.

Cons

Work and life balance is very difficult if you have a family or a full time student, schedule is very inconsistent and can change at a moment, inconsistent rules, lack of training, and management weren't helpful nor patience towards new associate's.

Advice to Management

Be patience towards new associate's, give them the proper training they need, don't change the rules often stick by them, and mostly be professional and courteous.

6. "Not what they promise"

Current Employee - Shift Manager
    Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are really no good reasons to work at Aldi unless you are coming in as just an associate. For an associate the pay is decent.

Cons

Lies and manipulations about pay. They claim shift managers start at 15.50 an hour but that is a lie. you do NOT get that reflected in your check.

There is virtually zero chance at promotion once you make shift manager.

It is part of Aldi policy to be understaffed. There is very rarely more than 3 or 4 people working during a shift. This saves Aldi money.

You MUST be available full time, but they do not give you full time hours. Maybe 32 hours a week if you are lucky. If they find out you have another part time job, they could terminate your employment. And even if you are scheduled for a certain amount of hours, you may not even get those because they cut peoples shifts shorter in order to maintain "productivity". So basically they push you to work harder and faster for less hours.

Advice to Management

Pay your shift managers what they deserve.
    Stop hiring inexperienced college kids to be your District Managers.

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Store Associate in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Bronx, NY

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, loyal customers, multiple roles

Cons

Store 19 is the worst store to work at. All the manager only think about themselves and doesn't care about the employee and they all lie. No help, working 8 or more hours, only 1 break, and no weekends off unless you request it off. And they definitely don't care that you have a family or disable family member to go home to. Always low in stock. Working until 12am or longer. If you doing truck and schedule for 5am that's not going to happened, you have to come in 2/3or 4-am with only 3 employees working. It's a shame.

Advice to Management

Keep it professional

"Terrible company."

Current Employee - Cashier/Shift Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier/Shift Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hmm let me think for a min... Maybe good for part time if you want 8 hours a week

Cons

Used to be fair pay when they paid about 4 bucks higher than minimum wage. Now that it's only like a dollar difference from what other people are offering why still do 4x the work? Not worth it in my opinion. Don't get 15 min breaks. Work ten hours hard work only 30 min break. Never get a weekend off. Make sure you don't have anyone help you because it's frowned on. Oh and your not allowed to call in no matter if your puking your brains out unless u found someone to work it for you. They rather you be there throwing up in the bathroom all day then call in. Open an extra hour on Saturday and Sunday now.

Advice to Management

All district managers got audis this year and we didn't get a raise. And probably won't get a raise this year . Your gonna lose a lot of good people.

"Unfair treatment"

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

Pay is amazing, but you are definitely earning your money. Benefits are out of this world.

Cons

Slave company, unfair management, if you enjoy living at work and wear and tear on your body this is definitely the company for you.

"an epic beatdown"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

Good pay (but is it really with all the work you have to do?)

Cons

I was so excited when I got this job, but now I wish I'd taken one of the other offers I'd gotten.

This job will destroy you. Don't expect to have a social life after starting because all your time will revolve around the store and you'll never have weekends off. Heaven help you if you dare get sick and have to call out. My schedule is constantly changed, sometimes the day of, and no one is ever notified. I can guarantee you that you'll never leave on time, ever. 9+ hour days even when you're not a shift manager. I've had a few 9 hour shifts turn into 10 or 11 hour shifts. Working one night 2-10 and then the next morning 6-2 is not uncommon, so add sleep to that list of things you don't get to have anymore. There's not enough associates to handle the amount of customers in the store. We're so understaffed it's not even funny, and we keep having "hiring events," but no one is ever hired?

I'm only 24 and this job has given me severe aches and pains in my wrists, shoulders, and lower back. Truck has to get done in 3 hours, meaning you have to work 8 pallets in that time. Employees are expected to move so fast and get things done at an unbelievable pace that safety gets pushed to the back burner in exchange for speed. The stress and high blood pressure is definitely not worth the pay.

Showing 357 of 2,305 reviews