ALDI Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ALDI Jason Hart
Jason Hart

Pros
  • Fast paced, great pay and benefits (in 160 reviews)

• Great pay depending on your location (in 251 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance was not the best (in 151 reviews)

• No work/life balance, no time to actually manage or train, revolving door DMs (in 48 reviews)

"Manager Trainee, Politics & Personal Relationships is Focus"

Current Employee - Store Manager Trainee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Store Manager Trainee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was excellent, the Cigna benefits were excellent.. Outside of that nothing.

Cons

As a Manager Trainee unless you can create a personal relationship with a DM to help get you in a store they will begin to get rid of you after 12 months. To get a store they either have to build it or they have to fire the store manager you will replace. The Store Managers know this when you arrive at their store. They will defend their job and of course will scapegoat the MT.

This is an hourly position. Store Manager is salary. This creates a bad situation as many MT's understand they are hourly. The DM's are young and inexperienced. For many this is their first real job. If you get a bad DM its pretty much going to be over for you. Their system of expressing concerns is a way to weed you out if you have a complaint before it goes to high. If you want to stay employed do not under any circumstances complain to a superior or you will be fighting to keep your job. Reward and promotion are solely based on personal relationships. It is much like high school sadly.

Advice to Management

Follow your own policies, find a way to objectively review people and their performance. Do not punish people for whistleblowing

"It's the best paying job I've ever had but sometimes it didn't seem worth the money"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Arlington, VA

I worked at ALDI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is awesome
    Not a terribly hard job

Cons

When I first starting work at Aldi I was hired as a part time employee, which meant I had to be trained in the store I was supposed to be working at rather than at the training center like the new full time employees were trained at. The online training was very comprehensive and took about 3 days. Which consisted watching videos for 5-6 hours each day about things that never really applied once I actually started working there. Another thing was I worked 30 hours my first week as a PART TIME employee which should've never happened. While training on the floor I was pretty much clueless about how to do anything and the employees who were supposed to be training seemed to find pleasure in chastising for every mistake I made, the reason I made so many mistakes was because they always trained as a side note not going into detail about ANYTHING and showed me how to do things very quickly while they performed the tasks. I had employees indirectly call me dumb and talk about how poorly I was doing when I wasn't around but I still heard it. Needless to say the training sucked and hindered me for being successful. The employees that train you are rude and get upset when you don't go "fast enough" or if you make a mistake of any kind it was a lot take because I never responded to their rude comments I just knew I was doing the best I could do. This job is definitely learn as you go. Also it's state law to if you work 8-9 hour shift your supposed to get a 30 minute unpaid break and two 15 paid breaks, but at Aldi you only get a single 30 minute break regardless so if your not the kind of person the can work for 7.5- 8.5 hours non stop work somewhere else. Honestly this company pays great but has so many intermittent flaws that it's not worth the higher pay.

Advice to Management

In order for new hires to be successful they need proper training, not employees that constantly chastise them for making mistakes because that is apart of the learning process. Changes need to be made make that
    employees training new hires are qualified, respectful, and patient enough to do so. That being said there should so kind of screening process or workshop. Also employees should receive breaks based on federal and state laws

"Micro management with little concern for employees. Tough schedules, timed work and customers come last."

Current Employee - MIT in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - MIT in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Days go quickly because there is so much to do and too few employees to do it.

Cons

Schedules are crazy. Start at 5am or 9am or 2pm. Can close at 10pm and have to be back at 6am or 9am. Rare to get a weekend day off. Everything is timed so always feel pressured to get job done but little incentive to do job well. Customers are last on the list.

Advice to Management

Add staff, worry less about time and more about quality of work, product and make CUSTOMERS a priority.
    REGULAR schedules for staff!!!

"Very stuffy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batavia, IL

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits
    Clean office environment

Cons

Management is very stuffy and you are just another bee in the hive
    If you do not start as a District Manager, your odds of success are non-existent

Advice to Management

Don't take yourself to seriously because you are just a number. Make the time spent there peaceful and real rather than fake

"If you're not in great shape, don't bother"

Former Employee - Store Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ALDI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is pretty good for the industry

Cons

The health insurance is terrible - it's expensive and doesn't offer very good coverage for anyone who goes to the doctor regularly
    It is extremely fast-paced, which is something they did not mention when they hired me. You are constantly, and I mean constantly, moving.
    At the store I worked in we did not receive the breaks we were told we would get when we were hired - I routinely worked 9-10 hour shifts with only one 15-20 minute break
    HR is totally absent. I complained about being harshly and very publicly yelled at because of a medical condition I had that caused me to have to leave the floor several times a shift and I was not given so much as an apology from management.
    I eventually quit because of daily verbal harassment from one of my managers - being told on a daily basis that I was too slow and wasn't trying hard enough, as well as putting up with thinly veiled cracks about my weight being the cause.

Advice to Management

Be more forthcoming about how demanding and fast paced the job is *before* you hire people so neither party will have to waste their time on something that isn't a good fit

Invest in better insurance for your employees

"District Manager Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Columbus, OH
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Columbus, OH

I worked at ALDI as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Lot's of responsibility. The actual work wasn't hard, very simple and organized schedule, you do the same things each week. Plan on schedule. The internship gives a very real insight of that a full time position looks like.

Cons

As I mentioned the work was simple...not a single part of this was academically or mentally challenging. You do not need a college degree to do this job, a high school grad can do the level of work required. I feel like I went to college for nothing. The culture is VERY professional. No fun no games. Also, be expected to work 12 hours a day AT LEAST. The hours are long and hard and you are dressed in business professional just to walk around a grocery store...You're office is inside a grocery store. Also forget socializing. You will be isolated the whole day besides once a month you meet with all the other DM's in your region. Definitely not a team environment. Also there is not a ton of growth opportunities. You can't move into another department like marketing for example. All in all, good experience because it made me realize what I don't want to do or what I don't want in a company.

"A day in the life of aldi"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay
    Insurance
    401 k
    Paid holidays
    2 weeks vacation after 1 year

Cons

The day begins at 6 am with up to 4 people doing a 26 pallet truck. Usually there is up to 11 mixed grocery that the lovelies at the warehouse mix up as much as they can.
    1 or 2 freezer pallets and the same for cooler.
    The shift manager does produce while spending time on Facebook only to have you do her dirty work bcuz she doesn't have time.
    Did I mention that she has been on facebook?
    She then complains to me the others are going to slow yet never says a word to them.
    Once our store manager arrives, he will spend the better part of his day also on facebook then come up with an excuse to leave early.
    He is scheduled 50 hours yet manages to duck out after 35-40 hrs.
    He also complains about work performance yet does nothing.
    Usually you will work with at least 2 ppl who are lazy or too old for the job and take their sweet time doing the work so you will end up doing part of their job also.
    If your lucky to get a break it won't be until at least noon or beyond. That is bcuz the store and shift manager have spent the better part of the morning on FACEBOOK!!
    You are then expected to smile at every customer while all you really want to do is punch management in the face and quit.
    Oh and the 90 day probation period.. they never fire anyone before that.
    We have cashiers late or don't show and call off AFTER their shift has started only to tell someone they were hungover.
    Doesn't matter how hard a person works, you all get paid the same.

Advice to Management

Make the store managers punch the clock. You are being ripped off by making them salary bcuz alot of them have figured out the system.
    Fite the people that can't do the job or show up late or call off after the fact.
    Give the hours to the employees you can count on. And base raises with the same mentaility.

"District Manager Would Not Recommend to a Friend"

Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, Autonomy, Responsibility are the positives associated with this position.

Cons

Lack of promotional opportunities, district of stores changes often, lack of work/life balance. Pressure above from director and VP level can be miserable.

Advice to Management

With Lidl coming to the United States, there is fear among executives in the company that they are prepared, therefore all actions now are re-active. Never forget the "golden rule". Turnover is higher than should be given that too many people feel as though they are not treated appropriately.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Benefits and pay are pretty good.

Cons

How they run the stores puts undo criticism on the employee at register. The customers are either going to like how the store runs on limited employees and fast checkout, or they won't. Those that don't like it complain. And since the only person they actually see is at the register, the sales associate gets the brunt of the hostility from the customer. I've found the customers are easily offended and easily complain over nothing. They also don't have to have anything specific to get a sales associate in trouble. The customer just has to feel offended.

Advice to Management

Don't take every customer complaint so seriously. Customers come in even when they are having a bad day. Its tough on the associate to take the customers hostility with a smile, only to be called into the office over the customers complaint and it be a bigger problem for them. Dealing with the public is tough. It's a tougher job these days with everyone thinking that they should be treated like kings. At ALDI, we can't treat customers like kings because we have to be too quick to get everything done. Running the store with minimum employees puts strain on the store and customer. You need to bump up what you concider minimum by 2.

"Great People, Poor IT Management"

Former Employee - IT in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - IT in Batavia, IL

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Passionate, great people
    Benefits are quite decent
    Opportunity to work for a rapidly growing, rapidly changing IT department
    Possibility of international travel (Germany)

Cons

Very poor IT management and decision-making capabilities
    Very poor IT planning, architecture, and processes; lots of legacy systems and processes get in the way of even the simplest of tasks
    No tools exist to help IT staff in support leading high levels of stress
    No possibility to work from home
    Very few holidays off
    International IT HQ is based in Germany meaning everything must be approved / performed by them.

Advice to Management

Management currently has no true, defined responsibilities leaving a wide berth for what is acceptable. Further, no evaluation or consequences exist to deal with under-performing employees, especially management. Often this leads to those under IT Managers to take up the reins of responsibility that would normally fall to management in any other company. The IT department is also increasingly incapable of making important decisions that impact itself and the business as a whole.

Managers should be more formally involved in the functions of their teams rather than acting as an adviser and "filter" between employees and mid to upper-level management. This would especially include deep involvement in major team and department projects.

Lastly, separate roles for project managers and senior engineers do not exist within ALDI IT leaving technical employees little option for advancement other than a role which often handles the management of projects. The strict, tiered job titles are something that truly hampers the potential talent of the IT workforce. Some folks just want to be exceptional engineers.

Showing 311 of 1,883 reviews