ALDI Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
ALDI Jason Hart
Jason Hart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits package (in 223 reviews)

• Good pay good people good times (in 318 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times (in 204 reviews)

• No Work life balance, very physically demanding job ; alot of people have back pain or work related injuries (in 66 reviews)

1. "District Manager"

Pros

Pay, Company Car, Flexible Schedule

Cons

55+ hours, Corporate culture

2. "Train your employees better."

Pros

Obviously, the health insurance and the 401K are the best benefits. Their Cigna plan makes insurance affordable overall and the employer match for the 401K is competitive.

Cons

Training here at Aldi is pretty much sink or swim. From practically the first day on the job, you're thrown to the wolves and not given time or opportunity to train properly. Although this job is retail which has high turnover as part of the industry, I think that a main reason why Aldi in particular has such high turnover in their stores is because they DON'T TRAIN THEIR EMPLOYEES PROPERLY! Instead, management pretty much yells at you or berates you if you don't do something correctly rather than being sensitive to the fact that they too were new and inexperienced once. Nobody just enters into this world born to be an Aldi rockstar, so a lot more patience and understanding from management should be in order. Also, the training is not very good here. The company has taken some steps toward training employees, but there are still several gaps.

Advice to Management

Understand that everyone learns at a different pace. Veteran managers or people who have been with the company for like 15 or 20 years should be a lot more patient with new hires. Change does not simply happen overnight. It's a process that takes time and patience from the management. However, when you have disrespectful and obnoxious "managers" belittling and criticizing you every step of the way, do you really think that helps to lift people's spirits? Do you think that inpatient and insensitive managers rushing new hires along without giving them the proper training and coaching they need is a good business practice? Think again if you believe the answer to that question is yes...

"Big Mistake Working Here"

Former Employee - District Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - District Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation and car are good, but not worth it

Cons

Long Hours
    No Training
    No real HR to voice concerns to
    0 Culture, everyone there is miserable
    The person responsible for training me wasn't helpful, wanted me to fail from the moment I started and was not friendly or easy to talk to at all.

Advice to Management

For a company that recruits DM's straight out of school, they couldn't be more far off and missing the mark with what millennial and this generation of graduating college students value and want in a world environment and company. As a DMT expect to work 60+ hours a week minimum, and spend most if not all of your 1st year being a store employee and manager doing something you aren't trained for and ready for. They throw you to the wolves with 0 training or guidance and are talked to about how bad you're failing. This job certainly can be for some people nut definitely not the majority of young people. They try to fix how truly awful it is to work there and how bad they treat the store workers and store managers with higher than industry average pay but the turnover is insane. Just be cautious if you're a college senior considering this job, I wish I took the reviews more seriously and didn't waste my first job out of school and screw up my career advancement and progress so bad at 22. It's not worth it.

"Good pay but not respected as a human being"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Edison, NJ

I worked at ALDI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome pay
    Good workout
    Easy to work your way up if you bust your butt

Cons

Management has no respect for you.
    They will constantly give you bad feedback no matter if you work 24/7
    You have to be available all the time because they don’t do set schedules.
    You sit down to ring but don’t think cashiers are lazy they do everything in the store.

Advice to Management

Get yourselves together and work out schedules the right way. Apparently scheduling is rocket science for you guys. Please please please give the new people a break! Getting thrown into running a whole store by yourself gets stressful.

"manager trainee"

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits, if you lucky you meet great people to work with.

Cons

this job is just endless responsibility for everything. district managers are without experience , (worked with 6 in 5 years) , if you are store manager or manager trainee you dont have private life..they blame you for everything, no support from them..dont care about anything, just give you a feedback what is wrong and you have to fix it.. turnover in this company is huge, cashiers work for 3 people, if they call out, you need to find a coverage..if you dont, it is up to you finish their job...must be on the phone 24/7.. not worth it the money..they want more and more things done without people..

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cheap health insurance and bonus monthly

Cons

*Bonus is based on sales and productivity so if you're in a low volume store you work harder but bonus less.
    *No work-life balance
    *DM's hired straight out of college so even if you have a degree it's virtually impossible to promote past SM
    *Payroll stretched entirely too thin. Management essentially ends up doing hourly functions to meet payroll or forced to due to the volume of the store. You pretty much end up completing admin functions at home.

Advice to Management

You will have a difficult time competing with Lidl with unhappy managers. DM's need personnel management training or you should consider creating HR positions.

"District Manager Trainee"

Former Employee - District Manager Trainee in South Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - District Manager Trainee in South Windsor, CT

I worked at ALDI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Salary and benefits. Company car is an Audi A3.

Cons

No life work balance. No coaching or guidance during my training. I was expected to be perfect and already know the job. My peer who supervised me "asked" me to work most of my days off. If I didn't it looked like I wasn't all in. Also, she would come in at the end of my work day and keep me there hours longer. Sry exhausting. This program didn't support me in becoming successful.

Advice to Management

This position requires more coaching and support. It would also be helpful for the DMT to have more than one DM as an outlet so DMs are held accountable and don't abuse DMs. Also, that would ensure that the right things are being shown and taught to DMT.

8. "Great pay, no work-life balance"

Former Intern - District Manager Intern
    Former Intern - District Manager Intern

I worked at ALDI as an intern

Pros

Great pay as well as the option to start putting money into your 401k. The opportunity to understand the fast-paced retail environment.

Cons

50 hours a week and sometimes more. Each DM is different, so each intern gets a different experience. Very demanding in terms of driving although they pay for your mileage. No impact you actually have on the company, you just shadow a DM.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees of the store. Many of them are the ones that know best! Too many DM's and Director's of Operations have forgotten about store phase.

"District Manager"

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits, company car is nice

Cons

Long hours, sometimes without breaks, constant criticism and a lot of negativity, minimal social life, poor work/life balance

Advice to Management

More motivation through encouragement and create more of a positive atmosphere through teamwork, show your employees that you care more genuinely

"Great Paying Job be prepared to work hard!"

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing working there was the pay and the benefits were pretty good also. The employees I worked with were nice too.

Cons

Not enough staff to help you get the task done. Be prepared to cashier, work stock, clean floors, scrub toilets work weekends, also when you have to cashier you must scan so many items per minute. You are under lots of pressure. Once you get to management it's a whole other level of pressure.

Advice to Management

I know to keep cost down for the shopper you must make the store no frills but it would not hurt to have just that one extra person in the store to help get all the work done, and make the shopper have a better experience also.

Showing 370 of 2,352 reviews