ALDI Reviews | Glassdoor

2,086 reviews

Full-timePart-time

2,086 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits package (in 203 reviews)

• Great pay depending on your location (in 289 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times (in 187 reviews)

• No Work life balance, very physically demanding job ; alot of people have back pain or work related injuries (in 59 reviews)

"Associate"

I have been working at ALDI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay busy work but but goes fast

Cons

Stays late closing at our store but not all stores are like that

Former Employee - Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company treats you well for your hard work

Cons

IF you don't have a sense of urgency then this job isn't for you

Advice to Management

keep it up

3. "Store Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

-Good Pay
    -Good Benefits
    - Good training motto

Cons

The Gaston location need to be reevaluated on regards to their shift managers! They are incompetent of managing due to their negative attributes; impatient, disrespect, condescending and non-tolerance attitudes toward new hires! Also Aldi need to learn that we are humans and not ROBOTS! It's so easy to get serious injuries on the work and timeline they give their employees.

Advice to Management

If a specific location has a high turnover rate, an investigation need to be held! It's a reason why people are quitting!

4. "Good money if you don't mind having a life outside of work"

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

The money is good, plenty of hours

Cons

Very high demands from employees on rate and number of hours worked, they will tell you in orientation most days are 6-7 hours long, but most days are 8+ hours, high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Be more accurate about job expectations in orientation

5. "Store associate"

Former Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Kansas City, KS

I worked at ALDI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good pay & easy to catch on

Cons

Long hours, don't know when your getting off

Advice to Management

Adjust shift hours

6. "Low work/life balance"

I have been working at ALDI part-time

Pros

Benefits are amazing for a grocery store
    Starting pay is great, max out at $14.
    Off holidays

Cons

Little to no work / life balance, shifts sceduled give you no time to do much before of after work.
    Pushed and pushed to be faster at everything
    Very bad training, basically thrown into the job and expected to do it fast and correct
    Have little coworker conversations or interactions, most coworkers have poor attitudes due to poor work life balance

Advice to Management

Give people more options in their shifts.

"Great place to work, but work you will"

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Compensation plan is top notch. benefits, 401k, company car, and the pay is phenomenal, especially considering this is a first job out of college for most DM's.
    - For the most part you make your own schedule, so it's as flexible as you need it to be.
    - Independence, which can be a double edged sword. The best directors will provide direction and allow you to run with it, only stepping in when you need help or guidance.
    - The training program the company provides to get you prepared to be a DM is second to none. While you may not fully appreciate it when you're in the middle of it due to the insane workload, when you get to your district you'll realize that the training program was invaluable, and the time spent in store will allow you to better relate and be more credible with your employees.

Cons

- Work/Life balance. It's always something that is discussed in meetings, but once the meeting is over so is that train of thought.
    - Sometimes the physical aspect of the job can be overwhelming. If your store is struggling, be prepared to spend a lot of time (hopefully in store clothes and not in a suit) helping out.
    - It's retail, so there will be odd hours at times. Overnights, weekends worked, early mornings and late nights. While only the weekend work is mandatory (one Saturday and one Sunday a month), the others are infrequent, but can be frustrating at times.
    - Changed districts roughly twice a year. It was great to be able to work with so many different managers, each with their own style, but it was difficult to establish a rhythm in a store. Once you had a store where you wanted it to be and could begin to really dig in to fine tuning it, districts would change and it would happen all over again.
    - Also very frustrating to turn a store around and invest time in it to make it productive, only to hand off your hard work to someone else.

Advice to Management

- Allow your DM's to spend more time with their stores to fully develop routines.
    - Be mindful of the mix of stores you're giving to DM's. If you're giving someone all challenge stores they will be stressed beyond belief. If you give them all easy stores, it can really stunt the development of the DM. Both lead to frustration and a lack of motivation.
    - Work/Life balance isn't something that should be paid lip service to. It's been an issue in each employee survey and it's there for a reason. We all expect crazy hours in Q4, but that isn't sustainable year round.

"Cashier"

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

High pay and flexible shifts

Cons

Store is only run by a few employees at a time so you work very hard for your good wage.

Advice to Management

Communication is key.

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

It's very physical and you don't need a gym membership (once again, there's Aldi saving me money!). The starting pay is great, it's $12.00 now I believe. It's a great atmosphere and requires a lot of work but can be rewarding.

Cons

Some managers are really lazy and hard on their employees. I ONLY say this because it's a situation of "do as I say, not as I do". You'd better do things properly even if the manager NEVER does because either way, you'll be talked to or called in.

Advice to Management

I absolutely love my job, I just wish store managers were held to the same expectations. If they are, I wish the higher managers would pay more attention.

10. "Well intioned but unrealistic company"

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits, company car, fast paced enviornment, nice customers

Cons

No work life balance, little to no communication/ support from upper management, unrealistic expectations with little guidance.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront in your recruiting process.

Showing 2,086 of 2,163 reviews