ALDI Reviews | Glassdoor

1,984 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place!"

I worked at ALDI part-time

Pros

Fast paced, friendly environment, flexible schedule.

Cons

Not enough opportunity for advancement

"Great company overall with room for improvement"

Current Employee - Corporate Buying Assistant in Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Buying Assistant in Batavia, IL

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable, growing and positive company culture. Lots of hardworking and smart people, no matter the level. Never a dull moment, management role models high expectations of themselves as leaders and nearly all clearly demonstrate desire to grow your team, co-workers all work hard and are supportive, culture is professional. Pay and benefits are great. Expectations are clear and high level of initiative is expected.

Cons

Can feel micromanaged and inflexible at times. There are an incredible amount of little rules such as not being allowed to hang your sweater on your chair and where your computer monitor must be placed. Work hours are touted as 'flexible' but this is not accurate. The only flexibility I've experienced was initially getting to pick my start time from one of three options - 7:30, 8 or 8:30 am. After this choice, your hours are the same each and every day. Additionally, there are no options to make up hours by staying late or coning in early or on a Saturday, if by chance you needed to leave early to get the the dentist, for example. You cannot take a half day vacation, so if you need to leave at noon, you have to use an entire's day vacation. Contrarily, we are expected to be flexible for the corporation and move our desks with little notice. This has happened to my team twice in less than a year and other teams also.

Often workload hours exceeds allowed working hours. I've seen many assistants in tears over not getting something done within the strict hours. I don't mind extra hours this at all and at the corporate level I expect to have to put in overtime. But, being classified as an hourly employee means it is unacceptable to stay late as it creates an overtime pay situation. I would prefer to be salaried and be trusted to manage my hours professionally. Sometimes you want to finish a project when you're 'in the zone' or to get a jump on something coming up. Or, sometimes you just feel like working!

There is no opportunity to advance within the company. You are forever and assistant in any department with rare exception. Thus it follows suit that there is no leadership training or professional development training for any level below director. You are a grinder. This leads to discouragement, burnout and high turnover.

Advice to Management

Relax a little. Increase flexibility with work hours and use of time off, create more opportunity for promotion and professional growth, and trust people you hired to be professional to manage their productivity professionally.

I'd like to see management expect some assistants to outgrow their roles and groom them to grow into another position with the company. Instead, assistants are burned up and turned out at a high rate. There is no carrot, so they leave. Give them a carrot or a whole bunch! Otherwise each commodity is starting over so often the quality of the products will stay stuck in a loop to a certain extent and lack of progress leads to lack of growth. Time and money invested in training the assistants is wasted.

3. "order picker"

I have been working at ALDI full-time

Pros

Good benefits, sick time, personal time

Cons

find out on your own, not enough hours

4. "Great job"

Pros

Great pay, great company, no complaints

Cons

There are no cons to share.

5. "Shift Supervisor"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a growing company that is looking at what the future will be and progressing the company in that direction. It has a lot to offer employees and customers.

Cons

Within the company there is slight disorganization, making work more time consuming and progress within slower. They were not ready for how much they were expanding, but the company is actively working on this issue.

"We recognize high performers!"

Current Employee - District Manager in Royal Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Royal Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ALDI's business model is skyrocketing throughout the US. Rapid remodeling and new store openings. It's sad to see so many store managers and DM's complain about work life balance on here when that is totally indicative of poor time management on their part. I'm consistently in high regard with my management and I'm home by 5 everyday if I want to be. The job is tough, but the amount of autonomy and responsibility you have along with pay, growth, and benefits really makes it an awesome place to work. It takes emotional toughness.

Cons

People with cons for the company are those who are being intensely supervised because of poor performance, which makes perfect sense. Underperformers are over supervised. What's wrong with that?

Advice to Management

Train for culture not job description. You can teach anyone a job, but teaching a culture creates longevity with employees and keeps morale high in a physical job.

7. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

Great starting pay and opportunity for raises down the line.

Cons

Random schedules every week, but I knew the schedule two weeks in advance
    Not much in the way of progression if you're looking for a career.

8. "Dyfunctionally inefficient, wasteful company"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is higher than other grocery stores

Cons

Arrogant and cynical district managers
    Don't like employees without open availability
    They try to drop you to part time if you are in school, so that they will not have to give you benefits.
    Shift managers only get paid a higher rate when the store manager is not there or another shift manager is not on duty although you are still doing manager duties.
    Once you're a shift manager, they do not like to promote any higher.
    The shift managers are training, manager trainees but making half the pay.
    Raises are not based on performance so the hard workers make the same as the slackers.
    Always under staffed.

Advice to Management

Pay shift managers a constant higher rate rather than how it is set up now and they will care more about store conditions even when they are not the one in charge. Employees at my store are looking to move to Lidl once they come into town.

9. "1 does the work of 3..if your lucky"

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

Other than the pay, nothing much

Cons

Poorly Trained employees, very young district managers that have no idea how to run a business. Very very very long hours and you are always on call in a way.

Advice to Management

Better Training

"District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Dwight, IL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Dwight, IL

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to write your own schedule
    Independent work

Cons

Long hours in busy time
    Have to be willing to travel/relocate

Showing 1,984 of 2,055 reviews