ALDI Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 25, 2017
1,817 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,817 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Fast paced, great pay and benefits (in 160 reviews)

• Great pay depending on your location (in 251 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance was not the best (in 151 reviews)

• No work/life balance, no time to actually manage or train, revolving door DMs (in 48 reviews)

"Store Associate/ Cashier"

Current Employee - Store Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Great benefits, Good cooperate

Cons

No hours
    Under staffed
    Management is horrible

"Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Olathe, KS

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and pay are the only things to look forward to in this company

Cons

Aldi is growing like crazy and becoming a very popular grocery store but the company does not want to change. stores need more employees in it so they can better serve their customers. they still choose to run their stores too thin. Making it so much stressful and harder on current employees.

Advice to Management

District managers are young and straight out of college don't understand about work-life balance and their standards are way too hard. most district managers do not have enough experience.

"What I See"

Current Employee - Cashier/Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier/Associate in Charlotte, NC

Pros

The flexibility in schedule the ability to learn all that I can at almost any time. The hours are really great too.

Cons

I hate when we do have enough product to put on the floor. Telling the customer's not we don't have anymore and not knowing when it'll be in. And having to hear that they'll have to go to another store for something so simple.

Advice to Management

Management tends to work well with the associates in giving us heads up on what's to come. Able to work with scheduling.

5. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

great environmen,t nice people, great pay

Cons

very busy but thata about it

Advice to Management

great staff

"Worst place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Whitehall, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Whitehall, PA

Pros

Good Benefits and flexible hours

Cons

Only part time jobs, all sales associates have to do all the work (no department division) Dont care about employees wellness, poor salary for alot od work.

"Awesome prices and a busy environment."

Former Employee - Store Associate in Stroudsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Stroudsburg, PA

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The amount of work that you do on a daily basis makes your day speed right by. You are always busy and never bored.

Cons

Minimum staff puts pressure on you. Customers are rude. Everything relies in your speed. Constantly moving. Small breaks. Dirty stores.

Advice to Management

Don't be rude to your employees and listen to any ideas they have.

"Overworked"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Hixson, TN
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Hixson, TN

I have been working at ALDI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is great and hours are flexible if you request long enough in advance.

Cons

Having only 4-5 employees on hand most of the time is insane. Doing $30-50k sales a day and expecting everything to get done while half (if not all) of your 4-5 person staff is ringing up customers is pretty ridiculous. The grey hairs on my head have double since I started there.

Advice to Management

Push for more employees to be in store daily to help with excess work.

"These reviews don't lie"

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at ALDI full-time

Pros

Great pay! I wish there was more (20 word minimum)

Cons

The pay is great at ALDI and that is how they reel you in. However, once in you will realize that almost everyone you encounter will attest to the lack of training. Even those who managed to get promoted will agree, as if they don't even know how they made it as long as they did. The micromanagement at this company is ridiculous. They hire district managers straight out of college, these (potentially great) young men and women haven't even learned how to be responsible for themselves and now have the responsibility of 30 - 40 employees, half of which could and would do the job better, but aren't considered worthy due to lack of a degree. Hey ALDI...did you know "on the job experience" is comparable, in some situations (not all BUT some). Turnover is absolutely RIDICULOUS...I saw over 20 employees leave in my 18 months with the company. They range from associates on up, including 2 store managers and 1 district manager. Why doesn't anyone want to stay with this company?

Advice to Management

Training is the key! Also reconsider your policy for advancement. I agree, every store manager isn't a candidate for district manager. This doesn't mean there aren't a few gems out there worth considering.

"Shift Manager"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Fayetteville, NC

Pros

The job keeps you moving. The pay for a grocery store is good and hard to beat in the same line of work.

Cons

At least in the Carolina's not sure about Aldi's in other divisions but as a shift manager you don't get paid the same everytime you work. If you're not scheduled to be manager that day you don't get paid a manager rate instead you get paid the same rate as an associate. Meanwhile, you're expected to still assume a manager role. Also if the store manager is in the store you don't get paid as a manager. Another con is the company (or maybe just the Salisbury division) sets itself up as a company that promotes within which simply isn't true for the most part. It's easier for an outsider to apply for a hire position and get it than trying to work yourself up in the company. Also if you're the ambitious type that likes to work hard and move through the ranks once you become a store manager that's pretty much as high as you can go majority of the time. In my division the positions attainable are associate-shift manager-store manager. So, the biggest con for Aldi's for me is you don't get a set pay rate as a shift manager and limited job advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

*Believe in you associates/staff
    *Always train your staff for advancement/the next level, it'll only help you as well as them in the end
    *Do Not expect this to be a desk or office job, it's not. Work Hard
    * Remember you set the tone for how your store ran here.
    * Great customer service is a must

11. "Great environment"

Current Employee - New Jersey (NJ) in Elizabeth, NJ
    Current Employee - New Jersey (NJ) in Elizabeth, NJ

I have been working at ALDI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40hrs, great pay and benefits. Coworkers are really great to work with and the manager works with you if you need a schedule arrangement

Cons

Work is very challenging and you never get a minute to yourself. Constantly on your feet. Expect to do some heavy lifting in the morning and work inside a freezer.

Advice to Management

Less work. Other than that mangement is great and they make sure we have quaterly meetings to keep us i formed and updated.

Showing 1,817 of 1,884 reviews