ALLDATA Reviews in Elk Grove, CA | Glassdoor

2.2
ALLDATA CEO William C. Rhodes III
William C. Rhodes III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • So far this has been a great place to work (in 4 reviews)

• Alldata repair is still a great product to sell (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Serious disconnect between upper management and the frontlines (in 10 reviews)

• Parent company imposes cultural structure that is at times a poor fit for a technology company (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Programmer in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good balance life/work
    Very good environment

Cons

Lot of leadership levels
    Leaders on the top usually doesn't know what is happening underground
    Don't expect to grow quickly, it takes a lot of time
    Not much innovation or new technologies

Advice to Management

Listen to people from the ground, sometimes the leaders take actions that doesn't make sense with what the company needs.

"Management"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some good employees, weekends off, decent pay, owed by Auto Zone, lots of parking, free coffee and free shirts and cups

Cons

Management is unable to lead, demotions and firing at random times, long time employees have no concern about arriving to work on time. Too many meetings that have no real purpose, again the management have little or no training.

3. "The Best Intern Ever"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at ALLDATA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Working Environment, A lot of opportunities for growth, Helpful professionals, A lot of scope for growth.

Cons

I was there for just three months so couldn't find any cons to speak of.

"Manager"

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Trying to bring new products and services to auto repair industry. Working hard to maintain market leadership.

Cons

Upper Management is political, decisions are not transparent, culture is not one of innovation, risk and creativity. Fairly conservative and technically behind the times. Hugely encumbered by parent company AutoZone. Pay is ok but benefits are not great. Constant turnover in sales organization with disparate expectations around sales model and performance expectations

Advice to Management

You don't normally listen to advice from anyone in the organization so no point leaving any here

"Used to be a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at ALLDATA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It used to be a fun place to work until AutoZone took over, eliminated a lot of benefits and brought in clueless management.

Cons

Loss of so many benefits, day-to-day fear of losing your job. Management is clueless as to what customers want or need.

Advice to Management

Hire people from within instead of outside bean counters who have no idea what the company is about and have no idea what the customer needs or wants. The company is losing customers faster than any of you have any idea and your response is we'll look into it, yeah right. All I can say is good luck and I'm glad I'm not part of this joke of an organization anymore.

"Territory Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Potential to make great money if you have a good territory.

Cons

The territory alignment is incredibly lacking and unfortunately territory is a crucial aspect to your ability to succeed here. If you're lucky enough to be assigned a producing territory you can upwards of $120k/yr. If you're not, good luck making a pay check.

This used to be a great place to work but they are quickly turning the sales team into a call center-like environment.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging every move the sales team makes or you'll quickly lose them.

"Good Quality of Life - Terrible management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at ALLDATA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good quality of life. Huge market share and the fact the company is a cash cow for Autozone means that there is no stress. The really only fire for cause.

Nice people, probably due to low stress.

Stock grants (at a certain pay grade), AZ stock is growing like crazy. Rhodes knows what he's doing in the AZ world. (ALLDATA is small potatoes in the overall picture).

Cons

ALLDATA is hugely inefficient and it doesn't matter. Dug in market share. If you are a self-starter and expect a lot from your colleagues then this is not your place. Everyone knows the company is a joke. But a 30 hour (unofficial) workweek makes it easy to put this aside. The pay is just okay, be sure to negotiate vacations as the written policy is a JOKE (1 week after 6 months of employment).

The location sucks..no services whatsoever near by.

Advice to Management

Quit. Seriously, Quit. Bring development on shore, you'll get more productivity from 5 professional programmers than you will with 50 near shore programmers.

Implement appropriate technology for what you do.

"Not a good bet"

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer I in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer I in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at ALLDATA full-time

Pros

Flexible hours in some positions, nice building but overcrowded, good place to gain experience and move on to something at least better 10 fold.

Cons

Hires people who unqualified, specifically in the QA department, management does not care about their employees, parent company Auto zone taking more away from Alldata employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and fight Auto zone for their best interests, be more involved in your employees' professional development.

"Production"

Former Employee - Technical Editor in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at ALLDATA (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good medical benefits and pay not

Cons

top management don't know how to run this company, I really don't see it recovering from firing all the people that really know how to run this company. When you fire that many people at one time you know the company isn't doing good at all. Covering up only gets you so far. And forget getting. Promotion if your a women library said they don't hire woman ever.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, we are all taking bets on how long this company will last.

"exit observations"

Former Employee - Technical Editor in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at ALLDATA (More than 10 years)

Pros

Established quality friendships with several management folks and employees. I was able to use the benefits of stock purchases and 401k company matches to build a modest retirement fund.

Cons

Autozone is the Walmart of auto parts and does not give raises or bonuses to most employees in production. Rewards consist of lapel pins and certificates of accomplishment. Many folks share how difficult the sales management/employee relationships are.

Advice to Management

Been away from Alldata too long to offer considered observations that have not been shared allready. Did that with my exit interview.