ALM Marketing Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

1.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ALM President & CEO Bill Carter
Bill Carter

Pros
  • Depending on what department you work in, the work/life balance can be good (in 10 reviews)

• Very flexible and understanding work environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was the exact opposite (in 15 reviews)

• senior management has no regard for lower level- too much hierarchy (in 13 reviews)

"Overall great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s no secret that ALM has been in transition for quite some time. I started here in May of 2013 and have seen a ton of changes, some of which I may not agree with but overall I understand the need to revamp the company. With that said, there is a lot of opportunity if you are motivated. I’ve never worked for a company that was so open minded and willing to listen to ideas. They have an open door policy that is unlike anything I’ve experienced especially in this industry.

I actually have quite a different story and felt it was important to share. I was in a role that I felt plateaued and was ready for change. For some, this job would be ideal. I never had work-related stress, my hours were amazing and my plate was never too full. But because I am young and hungry, I decided to leave and pursue a job at an agency. Within the first week I had realized I made a mistake and that ALM was truly the place to grow my career. Luckily, I had maintained strong ties and they offered to take me back but this time in a new role, which would expand my duties. I am so thankful to be back in a healthy work environment and am very positive about my future here. This is actually not uncommon; a few others have left and come back because it truly is a great place to work. I would say my favorite thing about the company is the people; they are amazing, warm, and overall very talented.

There are a lot of exciting projects currently going on to enhance our digital strategy. I would say now is the best time to join the company as it continues to grow.

Cons

If I had one piece of advice to give a potential candidate, it would be to stay motivated. I think it's easy to get comfortable and cruise from 9 to 5. However, if you are motivated and ready to step up to the challenge of helping push the company into a position of success, you will open more doors and feel fulfilled. This is the path I’ve chosen here and it has served me well.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your younger employees. They are full of fresh ideas that will continue to grow the business.

"Frustrating, to say the least"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Good co-workers, until all of them up and quit.
    Free coffee
    Sometimes flexible schedule

Cons

Seems like they don't enforce the lax "work from home" policy across all departments. You're lucky to see a half full office at all times. Way behind on technology. we are using very old computers. IT outsourced to India - WHAT A JOKE. Low, low, low pay.

Advice to Management

There's more to ALM than just the New York office.

"Definition of incompentency and complacence"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Select few intelligent employees
    Easy work hours
    Convenient location

Cons

Overall incompetence
    Poor leadership
    Business model stuck in the past
    Zero knowledge of the digital space
    Lack of growth or training
    Makes no effort to retain talent

Advice to Management

Evolve or pass the torch. ALM desperately needs to adapt to the changing digital/programmatic space if they want to survive.

4. "Transforming fast!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time

Pros

-Fast pace
    -great people that are very talented
    -Several recent promotions in our group
    -each day brings a new set of challenges

Cons

- each day brings a new set of challenges; transformation of a media company is hard
    - can bring long hours when critical deadlines approach

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people; they are very talented and deserve the best!

"Office politics takes away from any positive aspects of working for ALM"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good people working here that hold things together, middle management is where you'll find the best people at ALM.

Cons

Unfortunately middle management never makes it to senior staff. They rarely promote from within, most opportunities are given to newcomers from outside the company. Office politics and strong personalities on the senior statff sour a lot of the benefits and over time usually drive out good talent.

Advice to Management

Strongly evaluate staff in senior positions.

"Started out okay, but within months it became unbearable."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Decent benefits, 9-5 work day, nice people at the middle management level, not a bad area to work, from a marketers perspective they have a nice size creative services team.

Cons

Upper management has their favorites who can do no wrong, proof in point: HR had ignored multiple complaints against a director in the marketing department. There is no room for advancement, they will hire from outside instead of promoting employees. Pay scale is significantly low compared to industry standards. For a company that claims they value their employees they certainly don't show it.

Advice to Management

Take a little more notice of upper management and how they treat their teams. This could be why you have such high turnover. Also, why don't you try promoting from within sometime?

"Horrible horrible horrible"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at ALM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. That's it. If you want a career don't bother.

Cons

Unless you "in" with senior management or your boss quits you won't get promoted. This place is a joke and most people don't stay more than six months in the digital and marketing depts. Goof reason for that.

Advice to Management

Whoever buys this company should give all the senior staff and hire people who actually value hard work and the employees.