ALM Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management was the exact opposite (in 15 reviews)

• senior management has no regard for lower level- too much hierarchy (in 13 reviews)

"Unimaginably low morale"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time

Pros

I can't really think of any : /

Cons

It's a bad place to work. I could say a lot more, but it's all already been said in other reviews.

Advice to Management

Good luck, I hope you figure things out.

"Watch your back"

I have been working at ALM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of very talented people here are writing about interesting stuff.

Cons

Worrying about getting laid off is a constant concern.
    We often see e-mails saying, best wishes to Joe Blow, who is leaving us after 37 years, or Mary Smith, the senior vice president of (something or other) is moving on to explore other opportunities. Sometimes it feels like a sinking ship.

If you ever need to travel to a mandatory company event, you have to pay your travel and hotel and meals yourself and hope,hope, hope that maybe someday they will reimburse you, probably a few months later.
    And if you ever need supplies like a ball point pen or a note pad to carry out your work, you need to go to a store and buy it with your own money.
    Lousy hardware and software that works properly maybe about 75 percent of the time. If you need tech help, you have to call the help desk staff in India which is not always helpful.
    In editorial, they adopted this weird organizational structure where everyone reports to a boss who is in Peoria or Albuquerque and is much, much too busy to ever talk to you or read your email.
    Becoming a very top-heavy company where there are armies of junior managers spending their whole day in meetings and conference calls.. They recently found out about Glassdoor and saw their terrible ratings and they have done things like cookie hour or free breakfast which are supposed to address the morale issue. The most recent morale-boosting measure was to tell people to bring in pictures of their pets to decorate the office. But the frequent purges of staff and the outsourcing of half the company to India, created a deep wound that may never heal.
    The CEO has these meetings that he calls town hall, where he takes questions, as if they are a real exchange of ideas, but when you know another round of layoffs is coming, you don't want to speak honestly.
    They deluge the employees with useless information about what pages are getting lots of clicks, but they never tell you anything about the company's finances or its future prospects.
    Their see themselves as this 21st century company but their commitment to developing employees' skills comes down to a few bizarre and amateurish conference calls.

Advice to Management

Stop viewing employees as just another annoying expense you have to pay, like the electric bill. More stability, better investment in tech, better professional development.

Jul 13, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We understand that change is not easy, but feel that the steps ALM has taken to rationalize our business and prepare for strong growth in 2018 are... More

"You really don't matter at ALM"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ALM (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid on time and you receive benefits. That's it

Cons

ALM doesn't care about employees. Over the last 6 years the lay off people on a regular basis. Buying companies and then laying off most of the staff. Everyone is on pins and needles never knowing what they will be cut from the company.

Bill Carter is an ego manic. He doesn't listen to anyone and the investment company that hired him are just as clueless. All this company cares about is making money. If they need to cut a few hundred works to di it they will. Frankly, that's all they do.

People leave this company so much that in my 5 years there I've seen the sane position be filled 13 times! The job they offer you is not the job you'll do.

Only take this job if you are young and need experience or need a job and have no other option.

Advice to Management

It's pointless. They don't listen to anyone but themselves. Hence the years ad years of bad reviews and recommendations made by others that go ignored.

4. "Sales"

I have been working at ALM full-time

Pros

Everyone is working towards the same goal
    Enjoyable team to work with

Cons

Systems are about 10 years behind
    Lots of talk of improvements, but very little action

Advice to Management

Fix the foundations rather to resolve the majority of the companies problems

Jul 27, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We checked in with Gene regarding your concerns around ALM’s systems and were able to get the following update. As you have probably heard in recent Town Hall meetings... More

"Ever-changing Environment"

I worked at ALM full-time

Pros

Some great people, GREAT products

Cons

Management is all over the place. Can't keep good people.

"The Pinnacle of Incompetence"

Pros

I'm trying really hard to think, but I really can't name a single pro.

Cons

So many. Almost every mid to senior leader I've met is a self-seeking, incompetent living joke.

ALM is so out of touch with its employees, technology, and the market that It's laughable.

Executives really don't know what they are doing and believe just talking over people makes it seem like they do.

Advice to Management

Shut down the company and liquidate. After paying off creditors, send assets to current and past employees to apologize for the existence and management of the company.

"Need lots of improvement"

I worked at ALM full-time

Pros

Experience in many different aspects of the field

Cons

Low pay and poor management

8. "My experience at ALM"

I have been working at ALM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recent new hire that joined the company within the past 6 months. Upon being contact via LinkedIn, I was very hesitant to even bother with an in person interview after reading past reviews on Glassdoor. Overall, in my experience so far I've learn that the majority of people that leave harsh reviews have very strong opinions and that does not speak for the majority. Depending on the department there is flexibility for a work and life balance, ability to work from home and super friendly environment with good team work ethics.

Cons

Company benefits could be better.

Jul 13, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad to hear that you are enjoying the environment at ALM. We appreciate your feedback on the company benefits program and it is something we are reviewing as... More

"Even their Glassdoor reviews are fake"

I worked at ALM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing

I made my worst career decision to work at this company. Luckily, I out of the way early.

Anything rated above a 2 star is fake. The five star featured review is laughable.

Being let go in the most recent round of layoffs this month was my greatest reward working here.

Cons

I can't rate lower than a 1 star.

ALM only started caring about what their employees thought after their Glassdoor rating dropped to a 1.6

Advice to Management

Don't trick people who are looking for a decent place to work into working for this boiler room company.

Aug 11, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the frustration that comes from the level of change our company has recently experienced. We are genuinely sorry that it impacted you in such a negative... More

"Happiest when they fire people"

Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay the electricity bill so there's power each day in the New York office.

Cons

Anyone with talent and integrity gets pushed out or resigns to spend time with their family. Talent vanishes without a trace.

Advice to Management

Clean house, starting at the top