ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult, but varies by position (in 17 reviews)

• I think the only con is that cancer is still present the salary is to be expected with a non-profit (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Innovative organization, dedicated people"

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

My first day at orientation, while touring the hospital and seeing the patient artwork and the red wagons and giant murals, it dawned on me what a remarkable place this is. ALSAC is an inclusive, innovative organization full of fun, smart, dedicated people who never lose sight of the St. Jude mission, no matter the task. The work is challenging, and the pace fast, but I always feel supported in my efforts and inspired to achieve more.

Also a plus: Accessible leaders, great benefits, food trucks, innovation space, the little library.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep the feedback loop going. It means a lot that employees are heard.

2. "Greatest place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Director Marketing
    Current Employee - Senior Director Marketing

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Greatest mission in the world!

Challenged daily, surrounded by brilliant minds.

Great benefits, salary and growth opportunities

I found myself at ALSAC not too long after college and it’s been a wonderful place for me to grow in my career!

Cons

Not really a traditional con—but you do take the mission home with you some days. Knowing that you are helping make an impact in the life of families can be a heavy one at times. But it’s worth it!

3. "Make the jump!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I came from the for-profit industry to ALSAC more than 10 years ago and never looked back. The organization truly cares about its employees. My management team challenges me to learn and grow every day and I feel fully supported as I lead my own team. I have been able to literally forge my dream career path thanks to the support and guidance of my leadership.

Every job has its hard days, but those days are few and put into real perspective when you work for such an amazing mission.

The atmosphere has changed over the years, becoming less formal and moving toward innovation in a creative environment. We are encouraged to try bold, new things and know that we can fail in the process. My coworkers are like family and I hope to some day retire from ALSAC.

I encourage everyone who is on the fence to make the jump!

Cons

People complain about "ALSAC nice" but coming from a cutthroat for-profit area, I appreciate that kindness prevails here. I feel comfortable and empowered to have open and honest conversations with my management and try my best to model that to my team.

Feb 24, 2018 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments! We are grateful to have someone so mission centered on our team . It's employees like you who ensure ALSAC continues to be a great place to... More

4. "The BEST job + people + culture"

Current Employee - Specialist - Marketing Strategy & Planning in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Specialist - Marketing Strategy & Planning in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came to ALSAC/St. Jude as a contractor, relocating and hoping for the best. Within 11 months I was able to obtain a full time position and expand my knowledge, responsibilities and involvement across the organization. I had a team of empowering men and women that were constantly paving the way for growth and challenge.

ALSAC is fair, transparent, and embodies a culture that is inclusive of everyone. It's truly a top-down effort. Management and senior leadership treat you as a friend and respect the work/life balance need.

There truly is no better place to work than ALSAC/St. Jude.

Cons

At the moment, I see no cons to share

Feb 20, 2018 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We appreciate your feedback, but more importantly, we appreciate your time, commitment and unbridled enthusiasm for our lifesaving mission.

5. "ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research"

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Excellent Mission
    Caring CEO
    Excellent benefits
    Majority of employees are easy to work with
    Expanded Growth of Corporation

Cons

Workplace distractions
    Little ability to promote from within
    Very little work life balance
    Very limited appreciation of work well done
    non-profit so low pay

Feb 24, 2018 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We appreciate your perspectives on the organization and your experience with us. Our leadership recognizes the value of our team members and... More

"I love my fellow coworkers, but the atmosphere could use work for Alsac."

Former Employee - Donation Service Specialist II in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Donation Service Specialist II in Memphis, TN

I worked at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seeing the relief on the parents face knowing that St. Jude takes care of everything during the stay.

Cons

All platform is St. Jude aren't treated the same. If you're working for Alsac, do not think you're gonna be off because the hospital is. We don't have the same praise and when brought up it's basically nudged to the side. Now it basically feels like answer and demand, the whole goal is fulfilling but please don't have any pre-conditions or emergency's because they truthfully do not care.

Advice to Management

When people come to you about either personal matters or problems on the phone, everyone should be treated the same and not feel like their personal views are being judged or can't be open with management.

Feb 13, 2018 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for your feedback – and we’re interested in discussing your perspective. Please feel free to contact us through the stjude.org site and we’ll follow-up with you to learn more. Your comments... More

7. "Great place to work!"

Pros

There is no better mission - being part of the fight against childhood cancer is a rewarding experience. Seeing the patients and families each day is an amazing experience. The work is both rewarding and challenging.

Cons

Culture can be a bit too nice at times and people avoid conflict.

Jan 24, 2018 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for sharing your perspective; particularly your comment that, ‘…being a part of the fight against childhood cancer is a rewarding experience.’ We appreciate your feedback, but more... More

8. "Secret sauce"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

Incredible mission. Incredible group of talented colleagues. Led by CEO who walks the walk. Rick Shadyac demands excellence but also gives it. The place is full of people who are genuinely driven by the mission. And to have ex patients as colleagues - incredible.

Cons

Can be slow to change.

Advice to Management

Invest more time in random, one-on-one conversations with staff. Will improve upward communication of important information/opinions.

"Good place to work"

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Great benefits, comfortable workplace, progressive company

Cons

Drama and nepotism. Poor salaries for some positions.

Dec 13, 2017 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for your comments. We are so glad to hear you agree ALSAC has great benefits and is a comfortable and progressive work environment. Thank you for all you do to make that possible. We... More

"Feedback"

Pros

It provided a Friendly environment.

Cons

There weren’t any cons for me.