ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews

Updated Aug 10, 2020

4.0
ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital President and CEO Richard C. Shadyac Jr.
Richard C. Shadyac Jr.
Pros
  • "Great mission and a professional environment to work in(in 31 reviews)

• "ALSAC offer competitive salary great benefits, incentives with various opportunities to learn and grow(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "work life balance can be hard but worth the struggle for the kids(in 25 reviews)

• "There are no cons working at ALSAC(in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Proud to help this leading organization in the non-profit space"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Fulfilling to support a team doing good in the world. - Memphis employees get to see the impact on the St. Jude campus firsthand. - Best health and benefits program of anywhere I've worked. Seriously. - The can-do attitude when it comes to trying new ways to raise funds. - Increasing focus on inclusion of diverse backgrounds and ideas. - Facilities, HR and IT strive to provide the exceptional work space and tools needed while being conscious of fiscal stewardship. - CEO willing to push organizational change to the point of discomfort, while demonstrating genuine empathy and support through training.

Cons

- With the investment in trying new ways to raise funds and market, the organization is complex and the learning curve as a new-hire is steep. Worth it! - Pace of change was too slow my first couple of years here, but that pace has increased. It's now easier to be a change agent and introduce improvements in how we work and have innovative ideas taken seriously. - Like any organization, your department leadership has the greatest impact on job satisfaction and experiences vary. My experiences have been positive in three different departments.

November 20, 2019Vice President of Communications

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to offer your perspective and for your service. We deeply care about our employees – what they think about our leadership and our operations – and how our work impacts their lives. Like many organizations today, ours is in a continual transformation given the constant rate of change, technology advances and disruptions worldwide. We are excited to hear about your enthusiasm as we continue to foster a culture of collaboration. Together we share a great lifesaving mission at ALSAC and work to ensure every employee’s experience is meaningful.

2. "Love where you work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Positive company culture with emphasis on working collaboratively

Cons

I really don't have any!

August 11, 2020Vice President of Communications

Thank you personally for your contributions to our accomplishment and the culture we continue to foster with a strong group of highly motivated employees. Thank you for service to our mission: Finding Cures. Saving Children.

3. "Best place I have worked in my 40 year career!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer IV in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Allow you to innovate and create like no where else I have ever worked

Cons

There are no cons to ALSAC

August 11, 2020Vice President of Communications

Thank you for your comments. We are so glad to hear you feel ALSAC is a great place to work that encourages innovation. We are also resolutely people first in our approach to culture. It’s incredible to see how our people embrace service – to the mission, one another and our communities, which gives our culture heart and deep feeling of connectedness. We believe that our people first approach, coupled with smart strategic planning and a focus on innovation fosters a collaborative approach. Thank you again.

"This Place is a Real Heartbreaker"

Former Employee - Director in Memphis, TN

I worked at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Hands down, the people are the best thing about ALSAC. Smart, passionate, fun, relentlessly mission driven. In 10yrs working for ALSAC, I have met some of my very best friends—bonds forged in fire, frustration, and self-made joy in hard important work. Compensation and benefits are consistently among the best in the nonprofit space, and it is an exceptionally good place to work if you are in Memphis (where there are only a handful of top-tier employers). If you are a high performing executor interested in a long, well-paid tenure with a great mission, ALSAC is a wonderful place to ride out your career.

Cons

Integrity has becoming an increasingly troubling issue among Executive Leadership. The organization preaches innovation, diversity and inclusion, collaboration, and a people first mindset. However risk mitigation is the organization’s highest priority—and the guiding principle for all decisions made enterprise-wide. The result is reactionary decision making, constant road blocking, and an epically frustrating political landscape. Being liked is the most important thing you can be at ALSAC—more important than being smart, strategic, or even good at your job. I will not repeat what others have already said here, but do pay attention to reviews that focus on an outward culture of open challenge and innovation, despite an internal culture of fear, retaliation, and resistance to change. All decisions are made by committee, consent, task force and the like. Most of these committees are just trying to guess what the CEO wants, as he has a virtual stronghold on all organizational decision making. The result is a disempowered workforce of executors, rather than the dynamic, collaborative, forward-thinking organization ALSAC fancies itself to be. It pains me to say this, but as a person who spent the bulk of my career at ALSAC tasked with driving the “desired” organizational changes—this is not a place for innovators, creative thinkers, boundary pushers, or change agents. You will only end up gaslit, frustrated, and ultimately entirely defeated. I love this mission dearly, but trust me when I say: ALSAC will break your spirit and your heart.

June 27, 2020Vice President of Communications

Thank you for your ten years of service and for encouraging others to build their career here. It’s obvious you care deeply about our mission as part of the ALSAC family. ALSAC, and our leaders, take feedback seriously and are committed always to listening, learning and improving together. These behaviors guide us, especially as we all work to navigate some of the most challenging and changing times in modern history. This demands continued new and innovating ways of thinking and operating, and working through change, even when it’s hard. We learn together by trying new things and, sometimes, by failing. That’s part of having a culture where innovation is in our DNA. Though ALSAC recorded incredible results during the last decade and is nationally recognized for innovation, growth, culture and impact, we continue to relentlessly strive for improvement and change, given what is at stake with our mission and the families worldwide who count on us. We remain focused on creating the best culture possible and continuing to recruit an amazing workforce to serve this essential mission of ending childhood cancer and other life threatening diseases. We wish you all the best in your next career path.

"Could be so much better if they just cared enough about their people to let them drive change"

Former Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

Pros

My peers and co-workers at ALSAC included some of the smartest, most passionate, and most dedicated people I have ever worked with at any organization. I have made life-long friends, built deeply influential relationships, and created memories that I will cherish forever. These individuals are the very best of ALSAC and have pushed me to grow and made me a better person and a better leader as a result. The mission is without question a noble one and personally fulfilling in ways that you would never find at a for-profit organization. If you are mission-driven, as so many at ALSAC are, you will always be able to find inspiration.

Cons

Everything comes at a cost, and while all of that in the “pros” section is certainly true and sincere, the darker truth is ALSAC will absolutely break you and spit you out in the end. This is an organization that cannot manage change. They prop themselves up as being agile and innovative and strategic, and any other corporate buzzword that you could replace with an exclamation point and convey just as much actual meaning. But change requires self-reflection, self-awareness, and trust in your people that must start at the top, where instead it is woefully and obviously absent. Rick, the CEO effectively runs the organization by fiat and his closest advisors in the C-Suite seem disengaged at best or like incompetent sycophants at worst. Constructive criticism is dismissed as the rantings of a few malcontents and who are publicly maligned by an angry and personal-offended CEO who let’s his emotions get the better of him. “94% of employees think its a great place to work” gets tossed about as a way to disregard the “6%” when it’s really just a meaningless statistic to prop up Rick’s ego. As if those 6% are desperately trying to offer ways to truly make it a great place to work, or those 94% are just clicking through to the next question on the survey because it doesn’t even matter anymore. I’ve never worked for a more risk averse organization. Everyone is scared— scared to make a decision, to fail, to tick off Rick. Scared of “tarnishing the brand” above all else. This last fear has led to some uncomfortably awkward decisions that would shame our founder where we should be taking a stand, but Rick will be the first to tell you how hard it is for him personally, because that’s what really counts. And won’t someone think of the donors who might be too bigoted to help save children with cancer if our organization does what’s right. It’s a false choice that forces unity for Rick rather than unity for justice. When actual significant change does happen, it’s generally executed in the most ham-fisted way possible. Like a diversity and inclusion effort that appeared to be more about making Rick out to be the white savior than actually addressing the issues. Or a reduction in force that was so poorly communicated that it acted as a wrecking ball to the People First culture pillar that was already cracking at the foundations. Or that has been spinning in circles for a decade now. Individual contributors, good managers, some directors are all disempowered and yet it’s their ideas and execution that are most desperately needed. Meanwhile, upper management is usually just off in limbo somewhere trying to figure out strategy on their own, or up in everybody’s business getting in the way of work because they are dying for something to do. Most of us have tried to fight the good fight for so long that it ultimately just wears you down. For some of us, it was a constant shared battle. Trauma bonding runs rampart at ALSAC. For others, it’s hard to see until you’re finally free of it and working elsewhere. The recent comments about asking people to post good reviews to push down bad ones— that happens all the time. It’s hard to express how horrifying a feeling it is to be asked to do that. But take those 5 star “ALSAC is the best ever” reviews with a shaker of salt. They are the worst, but they are the best. They could be so much better; they just need to care enough to fix it. But it’s better on the other side.

June 29, 2020Vice President of Communications

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback. We take all input and feedback seriously. We agree our mission is noble, and ​we are grateful for your service. It’s disappointing to see your comments, generally, about the workplace so many of us love and the accomplishments we are proud to have achieved together. We will continue to work hard to improve so that we serve the mission as well as humanly possible. We acknowledge there are challenges and opportunities in any changing organization, and we strive each day to create an inclusive, equitable and diverse environment where every employee can thrive and do their best work. Here, employees are encouraged to lead-no matter title, seniority or role. As we regularly share openly, we are focused on a restructure that flattens the organization and empowers smart decision-making throughout all levels. It’s the constant balance of innovation and risk with any organization our size, but especially here given all that is at stake with our mission. We don’t apologize for continuing to work through that tension and invite all to be part of the solutions. These have been difficult times for all organizations - non-profits especially - but we are confident our best days are ahead because our mission demands it of all of us. We wish you all the best in the next step of your career.

6. "The hospital is great."

Former Employee - Adm Assistant in Memphis, TN

Pros

ALSAC does great work for the hospital!

Cons

At times, the employees don't get the credit they deserve.

July 28, 2020Vice President of Communications

We are honored to have had your long term commitment and dedication to ALSAC’s mission. Thank you personally for your contributions to our accomplishment and the culture we continue to foster with a strong group of highly motivated employees.

7. "Fortunate to work with brilliant employees at all levels of the organization"

Current Employee - Liaison in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

ALSAC is fortunate to have some of the best employees and an outstanding CEO. Our CEO’s strategic vision and personal commitment has led our organization into one of the top five charities in the country. Under his leadership, ALSAC grew its financial contribution almost 120% over the past 10 years. Through his tireless support to his team, St. Jude has been named the health non-profit brand of the year for the sixth consecutive year. His courage and passion in learning and doing the right thing has brought many positive changes to the organization, such as the establishment of our Diversity and Inclusion initiative, our Corporate Social Responsibility platform, our Business Transformation and Innovation efforts, our Global Alliances work, and our Enterprise Learning and Organizational Development program, among many others. While the CEO and the leadership team have diversified our workforce in the past few years, they also recognize that more work needs to be done in this area so every division and every department can truly look and feel like the communities we all serve. I do not doubt that they will continue to transform our culture. The compassionate hearts of our leaders and colleagues throughout the country have created a work environment where we all can celebrate our different cultures and traditions. We all come together during difficult times to reflect on heartbreaking moments in our society. Thank you for caring about our families, friends, and communities. As a diverse employee, I am very thankful for the opportunity to serve this incredible mission along with all my amazing colleagues and under the leadership of our remarkable CEO. I honestly feel fortunate to work with brilliant employees at all levels of the organization.

Cons

There is a famous quote that says, “The eyes sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” Understanding the non-profit business model, the functional and operating skills needed to do the fundraising work, and the decision quality to protect the brand are important competencies for anyone who wants to have a successful career at ALSAC. Judging by the financial success of this organization and the amount of innovation and creative thinking coming from many employees from all divisions, I believe ALSAC has a risk tolerance to test and learn quickly. Yes, learn quickly because we have to be good stewards of our donors and partners’ contribution. ALSAC is going through structural changes at this time to meet the current and future demands of the audiences we serve in every community throughout the country. Some employees are not happy at this time. Change management is not easy. It requires professional maturity, dealing with ambiguity, having a broad perspective, practicing strategic agility, and demonstrating personal flexibility to drive for results in a respectful and professional environment.

July 14, 2020Vice President of Communications

We are honored to have your experience and long term dedication. We strive to foster a collaborative environment to advance the lifesaving mission of ALSAC. We thank you personally for your contributions to our accomplishment and the culture we continue to foster with a strong group of highly motivated employees. Our culture pillars serve as a foundation for all leaders and employees, and include areas such as high performance, innovation and collaboration, and in particular the requirements to ‘put people first’ and ‘think and act strategically. We value every member of the ALSAC family as we all work tirelessly to fight against childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases.

8. "Incredible mission"

4.0

Pros

The mission "Finding Cures. Saving Children." propels you to do your best work. The opportunity to work with such brilliant colleagues is a privilege.

Cons

Just like any other company I've worked for previously - ALSAC isn't perfect and has its quirks. But, the mission is what drives me.

July 14, 2020Vice President of Communications

Thank you for the thoughtful comment. We are grateful for your long term service and the team spirit you invest to our lifesaving mission. We value every member of the ALSAC family and work to always ensure a strong, supportive environment. Like many organizations today, ours is in a continual transformation given the unprecedented challenges, technology advances and disruptions worldwide. We must adapt, innovate and work through change and transition together to fulfill our life saving mission. Thank you again for your thoughtful comment.

9. "Great mission and people"

Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Diversity and inclusion is a priority; mission is rooted in social justice; you will make a difference

Cons

Collaboration can be hard when some divisions are allowed to run and bully other divisions within the organization

July 14, 2020Vice President of Communications

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. We know diversity and inclusion are deeply personal topics for many, and we appreciate your support of the journey we are on as an organization and as individuals. We are committed to continuing the conversations about inclusion and diversity and deepening those over time to meet people where they are. Creating a fully collaborative and inclusive culture is a journey that we continue to foster and we value every member of the ALSAC family as we all work tirelessly to fight against childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Thank you again for your service.

"Great mission but needs help"

2.0
    Former Employee - Analystst

I worked at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The care that is given to patients is amazing and it only gets better for employees. The benefits are amazing and working for a true cause that benefits the world is totally satisfying. They truly focus on what is best for the children. Bravo!

Cons

Completely toxic! Management needs help!

July 14, 2020Vice President of Communications

​Thank you. ALSAC has a great mission, indeed, and we thank you for your dedicated service. We do have many dedicated, committed and thoughtful managers who work hard to foster our people first culture and drive the strategic direction forward in service to our mission. Even with a great mission, we know people work for people, and we are sorry to hear you have experienced negative situations with some management as that is never easy. We continue to place a high priority on training and development for all employees, especially our people managers who are held particularly accountable for furthering our values and for their continued growth as servant leaders. We always strive to respect and value all, and special gratitude is given to all for the patience and understanding over the past several months as our world has faced unprecedented challenges and we have had to make incredibly hard decisions that impact the lives of others. Thank you for sharing your feedback, thank you for being part of our alumni family, and we wish you all the best in your continued career journey.

Found 262 reviews