ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews

Updated July 1, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.7
ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital President and CEO Richard C. Shadyac Jr.
Richard C. Shadyac Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Continuing to strive to improve work life balance for all employees" (in 19 reviews)

• "I think the only con is that cancer is still present the salary is to be expected with a non-profit" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Innovative organization, dedicated people"

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

My first day at orientation, while touring the hospital and seeing the patient artwork and the red wagons and giant murals, it dawned on me what a remarkable place this is. ALSAC is an inclusive, innovative organization full of fun, smart, dedicated people who never lose sight of the St. Jude mission, no matter the task. The work is challenging, and the pace fast, but I always feel supported in my efforts and inspired to achieve more.

Also a plus: Accessible leaders, great benefits, food trucks, innovation space, the little library.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep the feedback loop going. It means a lot that employees are heard.

May 24, 2018 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for your comments! We are also big fans of the food trucks and innovation spaces! It is such an honor to work for a mission focused on eradicating childhood cancer with leaders who are both... More

2. "Amazing organization and mission!"

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

ALSAC is a great place to work! I love waking up each day knowing that I'm working to raise funds and awareness for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Working at ALSAC has helped me become a collaborative colleague, strong leader and allowed me to expand my knowledge and skills. ALSAC is a people-first organization that goes above and beyond to help employees grow professionally. ALSAC has created a culture that fosters collaboration, innovation and strategic thinking. I love working for an organization that supports work/life balance too. My ALSAC team has become my second family and I’m so grateful to work for this amazing organization and mission.

Cons

I have no cons to share at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep the mission front and center and be strong leaders to help the ALSAC team meet our goals/objectives.

Thank you!

3. "Great mission & great colleagues"

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

1) Very challenging yet fulfilling work
    2) Amazingly talented and dedicated colleagues
    3) Most loved and most inspiring brand
    4) Strong leadership
    5) Great resources to empower work and professional development

Cons

None to speak of at present

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on fostering a strong culture that empowers people and enables change/growth

Jul 3, 2018 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for sharing your comments and feedback!

4. "Engages the heart, challenges the mind"

Current Employee - Director in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Director in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We have a shared, clear reason to come to work everyday and that's to give our best thinking and efforts to fuel the amazing, life-saving work of St. Jude. It is a great feeling to know that my work truly matters and, although I am not a doctor, nurse or researcher, that my contribution at work translates into finding cures and saving children. Additionally, I appreciate being at a place where my heart and mind are equally engaged. We are a nonprofit, but a very large, strategic one. I feel I get the best of both worlds in terms of working alongside brilliant people who could be leaders at some of the country's top for-profit companies, but I see that work come to life in a mission-based setting. Additionally, there is so much room to learn and grow at ALSAC and it is possible for a person to join the team and continue to add to their depth of knowledge within their specific discipline or as a nonprofit professional in general. With each passing year, I am able to specifically identify areas where I have learned, grown and been molded into a better fundraiser. One of my favorite quotes is, "To do what you love and feel that it matters - what could be more fun?" That sums up my perspective on serving the ALSAC/St. Jude mission.

Cons

Like any large organization (or any organization, really), we do have our challenges. In my time here, we have dramatically grown in terms of workplace size and scope/scale of the work we do. Sometimes I think we struggle with balancing the family-feel, mission-based way we have so long approached our work with the need to function as a major brand and largest health non-profit in the U.S. There are times when navigating internal processes can be a roadblock to effectively getting work done.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the team focused on the "north star" of where we should spend our time and effort - raising funds and awareness for St. Jude. When we focus on that above all, we are unstoppable. The team has a clear vision, a great strategy and the tools to do amazing work. Continue to trust and empower the team at all levels to achieve (and surpass) the goals set and help identify/remove organizational roadblocks that can compete for our valuable resource of time.

5. "An amazing mission, and a workpla"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

During my tenure at ALSAC, I have put in many, many hours for the mission of St. Jude, but my work family has been alongside me every step of the way. I have been encouraged, rewarded and grown as a person and an employee. When I went back to school for my MBA, my team supported me during those long, two years. When I was ready for a new opportunity, they supported my move to a different division. I can't say enough about the people that work at ALSAC. They have truly become like family. Every job/company has its pros and cons...but for me, it is all about the people. I am truly lucky to have the leadership team I do, and feel supported in my career and personal growth. ALSAC really is a great place to work.

Cons

Again, every workplace has its cons. ALSAC is no different in that there is internal policies and politics that are frustrating to deal with, but in the end we are all working for the mission of St. Jude, so it puts everything in perspective.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would just be to stay true to the mission. Let's not lose sight of why we are all here, and that is to raise as much awareness and funds as we possibly can, for the amazing kids and families at St. Jude.

6. "Intern to full time!"

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started 1 1/2 years ago as an intern. I was able to learn and gain experience towards pursing a job after graduation. I did not immediately receive a full time position but offered a contractor position which I was very grateful for. ALSAC/St.Jude is the #1 non profit organization and it wouldn't be possible without the people in that work tirelessly to raise money and awareness for the hospital. 1.5 years later, I was able to receive a full time position under a CEO that cares about diversity and innovation in the workplace.

Cons

None at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on diversity and people first in the workplace!

Jul 3, 2018 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for sharing your intern to full time employee experience! What a testament to your diligence and hard work. We appreciate you sharing your story and thank you for your feedback,

7. "Operations"

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am unbelievably grateful for my job at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Every day that I enter the St. Jude campus, I feel so blessed to be a part of such an amazing mission, to be a part of ALSAC, and to be a part of an organization that makes me be valuable and a part of something strong and special. I am so thankful to be part of an organization that has strong and supportive leadership. I am so lucky to be a part of the Development team, and to be able to work alongside such wonderful and talented people.

Cons

The company keeps growing and we are running out of places to park.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being supportive and for keeping us all going - stay strong.

Jul 3, 2018 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you so much for taking the time to review. We appreciate you and your hard work for this amazing mission.

8. "This organization is among the very best there is"

Current Employee - Development in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Development in Memphis, TN

Pros

Great resources, supportive leadership, employee-centered perks, mission-driven culture and team-oriented colleagues, all offered in a successful company that is at the forefront of the industry

Cons

Size can limit agility but no more than normal for an organization of this size and scale

Advice to Management

Know and trust that the workforce is aligned with your vision and grateful to be a part of this organization

Jul 3, 2018 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for sharing your perspective!

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Liaison in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Liaison in Memphis, TN

I have been working at ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

ALSAC is a mission focused company with a people first mentality for it's work force.

Cons

Continuing to strive to improve work life balance for all employees.

Jul 3, 2018 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for your comment!

10. "Being part of the ALSAC team is a point of professional and personal pride"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Memphis, TN

Pros

Being a part of the ALSAC team is a point of personal and professional pride for me. There are few (if any) careers for marketers that allow one to directly contribute to and also see the lifesaving work in action every day. Beyond the mission, the work atmosphere is highly collaborative, which is invigorating since there is such a uniquely high concentration of bright, dedicated and generally delightful people to work with. Innovation is also a core focus for the organization which has opened the door to so many interesting opportunities in my time at ALSAC to learn, grow and expand my role in the organization in emerging areas such as agile methodology, personalization, analytics and so on. As a manager, I have the pleasure of leading an awesome team that bring their best to work every day. I also have the benefit of strong, smart leadership that have a people-first mindset. On the personal side of things, being a Mom, it can be really hard to leave my little one during the day and I honestly don’t know how I could do it if I weren’t spending that time away supporting such an remarkable mission.

Cons

Because the organization is so high-performing, driven and dedicated to delivering the absolute best experiences for our donors and event participants at every touch point, it can definitely be daunting at times to look at your to-do list and know that completing things in a mediocre fashion is not going to get the job done However, because of this, at times, I have surprised myself by what I have been able to accomplish.

Advice to Management

My recommendations really center around things that I want to be sure management continues to do because they have played such an instrumental role in creating a great work environment.
    Please continue to:
    - foster an atmosphere of learning and innovation
    - Provide plenty of opportunities for employee recognition
    - Push us to think differently and ensure that we are focused on strategic priorities
    - Be transparent about future plans and direction

Jun 4, 2018 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for your review and your service! We appreciate you taking the time to reflect on your experience with us, to highlight your amazing team and, of course, for offering us your... More