AMAX IT Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Jerry Shih

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Engineering company with great outlook."

Former Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA

I worked at AMAX IT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has strongly focused on new data center solutions the last few years and that has opened a lot of doors. Closing more and more deals with Fortune 500 companies and up and coming startups shows company is trending up with relevant technology. Strong marketing team and great people make it a brand you can feel proud of. Management places high value on ethics and integrity. Not the usual shark tank you find in sales departments, but people are very supportive of each other.

Cons

Requires you to be really dynamic and technical as the product line is broad so to be successful in sales, you have to really research and understand your customers needs to recommend the right product. Training is sink or swim, but it means only the strong survive. Not gonna lie, this is not a place that you can hide or coast, but with no cap on commission, you can go as far as you push yourself.

"Caution if considering the Server Repair Center"

Former Employee - Service Center Technician in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Service Center Technician in Fremont, CA

I worked at AMAX IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company does provide excellent services and customized products to customers, they also continuously improve their mfg quality control. The organization also does uphold safety practices especially training for warehouse equipment.

Cons

I’m an IT Professional that has worked at a variety of bay area tech companies since the late 90s. My experience encompasses small, mid, fortune 500 and a startup. I started working at Amax in the Server Repair Center around 2010 (in the midst of a recession and brutal job market). I stayed for a couple of years.
    Working at Amax was the worst job experience I had ever encountered. The leadership is authoritarian and paternal, upper management constantly threating our job security if we didn’t meet the repair metrics, micro-management, extremely high turn-over, supervisors speaking in foreign language(s) to their peers in front of me while I awaited clarification of instructions.
    The Service Center went through 3 management changes during my short tenure. The compensation is below market rate. In retrospect, my experience has helped me to develop bettering coping skills with office politics and work conflicts. I would like to make clear that my feedback is only in regards to the Service Center. I had colleagues in other departments that had great work experiences. Also, the company does provide excellent services and customized products to customers.

"Family business"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Fremont, CA

I worked at AMAX IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing. Basically you may qualify for all kinds of state-sponsored benefit programs due to its low income and poor benefits provided by Amax.

Cons

Try to get a raise, you'll get a promise but no result. The ownership bunch treat employee like tools, not regular human being. Don't get fooled by the fancy pictures, it's deceiving. The turnover is extremely high. If you're doing a good job or good number (in sales) and ask for a raise or you'll leave, they will give you like a single-digit offer or you can leave. Not surprisingly, the business scale is going down gradually.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, provide more benefits in various kinds of ways, spend some time research on how to make people happy to work for you, not the other way around. People have families too, and you should share your profits to people who work hard for you.

"Don't Even Think of Joining Unless You Are Chinese. Extremely High Turnover."

Current Employee - Business Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Fremont, CA

I have been working at AMAX IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good quality products. They spend a lot of time on testing and operations to deliver good products to their customers.

Cons

No growth. They don't like to hear fresh ideas from employees. Very high employee turnover - many employees leave, others are terminated without cause. HR will repeatedly tell you that you are an at-will employee, meaning they can show you the door anytime they want. Don't jeopardize your career by taking a job here.

Advice to Management

Because AMAX is a private company, management doesn't want to hear any advice. They just want to keep collecting their millions while paying their employees as little as possible. Benefits are extremely expensive. And at the company Christmas party, they make it a game - a few lucky ones get a decent prize, the rest go home with a $50 gas card.

"good to learn experience but management team does not have vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Pros

You can learn alot if you want . no CAP for comission

Cons

no vision no structure. family owned

Advice to Management

need a solid CTO

6. "IT Engineer"

I worked at AMAX IT full-time

Pros

a small company with more flexibility

Cons

management is not professional, not for long term career development

7. "Too much on public media, Too little in real"

I have been working at AMAX IT full-time

Pros

The place for new grads; new immigrants; people with visas, green cards; people could not speak English well; people have worked all the time in Asian companies.....
    Stay away this company if you are not belong to one of categories above.

Cons

This is NOT a US company, it is exactly Taiwan Chinese company.
    They have been casting their dirt to others for decades, but never get rid of who they are. Those people could never respect each other, just use each other to make money.

Advice to Management

Family members are not educated. Family business does not mean every family member could be qualified to lead at work.

8. "Okay"

I worked at AMAX IT full-time

Pros

Had a manager that had very high demands, which is good I guess given I did not have much experience in the field going into the job. I learned a lot during my time at AMAX, which will help me in the future.

Cons

Office culture is relatively stagnant. Management seems stingy when it comes to paying its employees. For the most part, many are underpaid.

Advice to Management

Facilitate a more vibrant and diverse company culture and pay your employees what they deserve. Many work extremely hard for little pay.

9. "Jr. Industrial Engineer"

I worked at AMAX IT full-time

Pros

This was my first full Time IE job out of college and it was a great place to get my foundation started. I was provided with a mentor who taught me everything I needed to know in order to excel at my job (I was lucky to have a solid mentor, other departments may have not have good ones). I learned a great deal of how the business operates and how to utilize manpower within the operations floor. The job came with a high level of responsibility and extreme attention to detail is required. But with the support of my team I was able to get through it. IE is the backbone of the this company which bridges marketing/sales with operations/logistics, so at times the pressure can get pretty high. However during slow times the pressure goes away.

Cons

This company is extremely cheap. I was paid below market value for my job title. I settled for the offer because I figured I was fresh out of college. But even after a full year of working there, they never once mentioned a review or discussion about a future raise in my salary. Even if employees are salary, they are still treated like hourly paid workers. They make everyone badge in and out of the building so they can track our hours. I remember upper mgmt once complained that I worked 7.6 hours one day, but never acknowledged that I was busting 10 hour shifts 2 weeks prior... The IT and Engineering departments are very strong, however the HR department is very weak. They don't know how to establish a fun working culture at this company. Instead they host low budget lunches that get cheaper as the months pass, and do very little to keep employees motivated. Most people speak mandarin here so you will have to get used to the communication barrier. Work life balance is just OK. Again as I mentioned earlier, this is a good place to get started, gain some experience, then move on once you feel you have learned a good amount.

Advice to Management

Establish a more FUN culture within the company
    PAY your employees what they deserve, many of them work extremely hard for such low pay

"Account Manager"

Pros

Amax hires a sales team from different backgrounds. There are many amazing, hard-working employees new to the tech sector memorizing server technology and working really hard to push white box products. I worked with some of the most generous and kind people and I am very grateful for that.

Cons

This company has a very traditional manufacturing culture of authoritarianism. Not a good place if you thrive in open, advanced and flexible environments nor if you do not do well with criticism as a motivator. They are not technology-forward and although the sales team all works until 7:30 PM or later every night, I am not sure what, if much is in the pipeline. Not family or work-life balance friendly.

Advice to Management

Some basic management training for everyone who has direct reports along with some cultural training would help ease some of the work-force tension and build a lasting infrastructure. Also some training on how to develop strategic goals and communicate that to the employee base.