AMD Reviews | Glassdoor

AMD Reviews

Updated December 1, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Worked at AMD for 6 years..."

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at AMD (More than 5 years)

Pros

People were alright, nothing much to add here.

Cons

Company lost it's vision. Stock is tanking. Luckily I haven't been laid off yet. This company is in real trouble, I advise not buying AMD anytime soon as there has been a lot of chatter in the board room about AMD dropping it's GPU division and taking a huge loss. Morale is horrible right now and things are looking very grim. Also, Becky, if you're reading this, Dave has been steeling your lunch.

Advice to Management

Too late for advice. Start looking for another job. Luckily I already have a gig lined up.

"Look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time

Pros

Flexibility of schedule
    Decent compensation
    Decent benefits

Cons

In a slow death spiral
    Bad executive management
    Horrible middle management
    Board of Directors that doesn't care
    Non competitive roadmap

Advice to Management

Resign and let fresh perspectives guide us.

3. "AMD Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has great technology and people. They are the only company that has both x86 and high end graphics.

Cons

Very confused on their product roadmaps. We have now gone full circle back to the company strategy that the CEO in 2010 was let go for. They are understaffed to be effective in getting products to the market and financially in a very difficult position.

Advice to Management

Stick to the roadmap and focus on what AMD is good at. Stop trying to find other companies like Sea Micro that divert resources from our real focus.

"Buy out the only way - if some company is stupid enough to buy!"

Current Employee - SMTS Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - SMTS Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at AMD full-time

Pros

Expectations are pretty low for you, since most smart people either left or let off. That is, if you don't ask for promotion or compensation adjustments or bonuses.

Cons

Old people. Old ideas. To be promoted, you should have been with the company for a long time and know the old-timers. Brown-nose the old guard: you will get promoted even almost every other year, even in these tough times. I am now looking outside. In the eight years, I worked here, I got a manager finally who I thought knew what we were doing. Recently the management let him go! He was modern in his style and was very innovative. I thought I had started enjoying work despite the financial conditions. The guy knew how to make remote employees work. He always went fighting for his engineers. But one day I came to work and I was told he had been let off! Now I am looking outside. But feels sad to leave because I love what I have been doing here. And, in Markham where I work, there is no other competing business. I am so damned with this management we are considering relocating now.

Advice to Management

Your Directors, Sr Directors are screwing up the company. Get them under control to start with a good turn around! Cut more but cut smart.

"Doomed"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Bad Management, Mediocore products, poor marketing

Advice to Management

Focus!

6. "**WARNING!! DO NOT GO THERE UNLESS YOU ARE COMFORTABLE OF HEARING LAY OFF ALL THE TIME! THEY HAVE LOTS OF LAY-OFFS**"

Former Contractor - Senior Software Development Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Development Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They have free unlimited coffee inside the campus, that's all I can say.

Cons

Ever since I joined, I have seen lots of laid-off. Last year they laid off 7% of the work-force which is 1200 people. They laid off 3000 people in the year 2012, company is not stable. Management have no clue and I have seen them browsing youtube, etc. After I left this company, there were another big round of laid-off. They even laid off their CIO and CTO recently. I have not learned anything as there were no work in the first place.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people until your company become very stable

"Great people, revolving door of disjointed management who don't like to hear the truth"

Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work with great people and on interesting products

Cons

Constant downsizing, very low morale and uncertain future. "The beatings will continue until morale improves" philosophy.

Advice to Management

Listen and make the company fit the true opportunity. Stop drinking your own cool-aid.

"leaving AMD soon"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

great place to learn; work-life balance fair; many great, hard-working co-workers; can be rewarded if among chosen few

Cons

consistently distressed, unstable environment; risky place to earn a living with questionable opportunity for reward; many self-serving co-workers; one can drop from chosen few status quickly

Advice to Management

find the opex bottom soon and stabilize the company so people who stay can find true hope; stop focusing on org structure changes and execute; too early to rate Dr. Su... her predecessor was handed a mess and gave it his all...time will tell

"Stay away from AMD Server Group (Seamicro)"

Pros

Not really many pro's.

Cons

The management is immature and does not know their industry, which is why they have not sold anything and are struggling. AMD laid off 7 percent of their workforce while the server group had a 17 percent layoff which tells a lot. They are not innovative with their product design, Supermicro has more server innovation than this group does.
    Engineering is horrible in being able to support sales. We had to send engineers out to customers sites for weeks to get a system running.
    They will try to sell you on how great their product is and how great they are doing, don't listen to them as it is all a sham. They are struggling, have sub par engineering and do not have a clue on the server market.
    LAYOFFS ABOUND, STAY AWAY FROM AMD!!!

Advice to Management

Get out of the server industry or get rid of the upper level management and replace them with someone who knows enterprise datacenters, the cloud or anything beyond their own arrogance.

10. "No Leadership-Stagnet mindset-Overloaded Middle Management-Posturing-Lack of Strategy"

I have been working at AMD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Still on NASDAQ, World really wants an Intel competitor. AMD is paying electricity bills on time

Cons

Too much focus on being innovative rather than doing the right thing right and focusing on the quality over being the first. AMD has little man complex and the culture is over 40 years old acting in this manner is very toxic. AMD appears in a tailspin of poor decisions.

Advice to Management

Unseat all Corporate and Middle Management completely. Focus on empowering new employees who can bring new mindset and structure to the company. Prevent the architects and engineering from ruling the company. They should be lock-step with the corporate stated strategy not leading strategies. Not sure there is hope for AMD.

Showing 141 of 1,874 reviews