AMIDEAST Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Honorable Theodore H. Kattouf

1. "Program Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AMIDEAST full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, awesome mission, good first job opportunity

Cons

very few advancement opportunities and salary raises

"Not the best compensation plan"

Current Employee - Exchanges/Testing Program Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Exchanges/Testing Program Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at AMIDEAST full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good addition on your CV

Cons

No training
    Not a good salary
    they don't develop their employees skills.

Advice to Management

Although it is an NGO, but that does not mean being very cheap on the organization staff salary plans.

"Interesting organization but absolutely no room for upward mobility"

Former Employee - Fulbright Foreign Student Program in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Fulbright Foreign Student Program in Washington, DC

I worked at AMIDEAST full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is exciting working for an organization doing such great work in the Middle East, especially if that is your area of interest. Having worked there has opened doors to other jobs in international education since it is a rather well-known org. Certain departments are more social than others, but the other young people in the office are really fantastic and make a real effort to get to know one another. There is no shortage of work happy hours. I made close lifelong friends at this job and really loved coming to work largely for that reason. AMIDEAST will pay for classes if you are proactive about getting the paperwork done, and the benefits were decent. This was only my second job out of college so I don't know what's normal as far as company events or parties, but I did enjoy the company picnic, coffee hours, holiday parties, and other parties thrown within my department. While I have some gripes, AMIDEAST did benefit me in the long run and overall working there was very positive for me due to the quality of experience and my coworkers.

Cons

The starting pay for a program assistant is very low, which wouldn't be an issue if they ever gave raises or promotions. But they don't. Unfortunately since the organization is pretty well-known they don't have to provide competitive salaries to recruit smart and eager recent graduates, and they don't especially need lower-level people to stick around for more than a year or so. I think this is the way many non-profits in DC operate. I felt very replaceable there since it is nearly impossible to move beyond the Program Assistant level without a masters degree. It doesn't take long to plateau in the content of your work; after a certain point there is simply nothing left to learn (and for me that point arrived after about a year). The older people who have worked there for a long time definitely seem jaded and complacent about their jobs. Excellence was often not a priority. I would never make a career at this organization.

Advice to Management

Try harder to create a culture of treating fellow employees as customers. Dealing with the finance department was always a terrible experience. In the beginning I was downright afraid of those people because they were unclear about what they wanted and were angry and rude if you messed up. I think management should take a look at the high turnover rates as well and think about how to create an environment that people will stay for. Affirm people when they do well, even small merit-based raises every once in awhile would go a really long way for morale.

5. "Good."

Current Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at AMIDEAST full-time

Pros

Flexibility, creativity, dedication, openness, staff support.

Cons

Difficulty increasing pay, support for staff

"decent place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

nice people, collegial environment, interesting mission, professional development and travel opportunities

Cons

low salaries, long work day, no employer contribution to retirement for 2 years, little recognition for a job well done

Advice to Management

if you provide higher salaries at the lower levels, you can keep your employees happier and avoid turnover

7. "Summer Intern"

Pros

Amideast is a nice place to work at; It has offices all over the world and you feel like your work has a tangible impact on people's lives

Cons

I have no cons for this company

8. "Finance Officer"

I have been working at AMIDEAST full-time

Pros

Ability to learn and take charge of programs and projects.

Cons

Pay (yearly bonus instead of salary increase) and lack of communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Better pay and better opportunities for growth.

9. "Could Be Good But Isn't"

I have been working at AMIDEAST full-time

Pros

* Interesting part of the world.
    * staff are generally pleasant.

Cons

* No upward mobility.
    * Few rewards of any kind.
    * Hard to get things done because of bureaucracy

Advice to Management

* Understand staff need to feel like they can do their jobs and that they can be rewarded in some way for this.

"AMIDEAST Review"

Pros

Incredible mission, programs, and impact in hard-to-reach places in the Middle East and North Africa. Well respected in the region and in-country; relationship with ECA has allowed AMIDEAST to implement U.S. Department of State exchange programs and have a strong name.

Cons

Missing communication between departments at HQ and between field offices; lack of transparency with HR as well as senior staff; no support or development of low and mid-level staff; lack of advocating and support of field offices.

Advice to Management

Create policies and procedures for transparency. Invest in low and mid-level staff. Increase communication within the organization, particularly when there could and should be overlap in departments.

"You will end up doing stuff that was not in your job description!"

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

Pros

If you are looking for a place where you would like to learn on your own this one is for you. No training provided for anything. You will have to figure out on your own how to submit reports and how to use the systems.

Cons

Amideast uses very deceiving hiring techniques. They don't post detailed job descriptions and responsibilities as most serious employers because they know that it will be impossible to find someone if they are truthful. They tend to speed up hiring process as soon as someone shows interest. They always include a line in the contract that says duties can change without notice and they are serious about changing your duties. The management is not changing some work 35+ years and got too comfortable....!