AMIkids Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

AMIkids Reviews

Updated Sep 30, 2019

Found 66 reviews

2.6
AMIkids CEO Michael Thornton (no image)
Michael Thornton
Pros
  • "Great place to help troubled teens turn their lives around(in 3 reviews)

• "For a nonprofit working with youth, it doesn't get much better than AMIkids(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  1. "AMIkids-A Company That Invests In You!!!"

Former Employee - FFT Therapist in Morganton, NC

I worked at AMIkids full-time for more than a year

Pros

AMIkids invests in you from the first day of orientation. They pay to train you in FFT model. They highly encourage you to seek growth opportunities with curating a Competency Plan which can in some cases can put you on a leadership track quicker. They care about your health as a therapist from Day 1. For example, they immediately asked me to complete a Self-Care Plan that addresses my goals, both personal and... professional, my signs I'm stressed, and how to interact with me when I am feeling that way. I have always felt supported by the company and appreciate how grounded they are in their mission to serve youth. For a nonprofit working with youth, it doesn't get much better than AMIkids.

Cons

Be prepared to spend 45% of your time on the road driving to see these families. The company does a GREAT job stressing this in the interview process to be transparent as possible that you will be driving a lot if you take the position. Get a good podcast and you will be fine though.

AMIkids2019-10-01
  2. "Not what you expect"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at AMIkids full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

large organization that helps kids

Cons

nothing is what it seems. be sure to clarify your job expectations

AMIkids2019-09-03

"It is confusing because I can ask 3 people the same question and get 3 different answers. There are too many changes."

Current Employee - Business Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at AMIkids full-time for less than a year

Pros

I think the main goal of helping kids is great.

Cons

I think the goal of helping kids gets lost sometimes. There is no consistency between what corporate says and what the schools do. Corporate has no idea what working at the schools really entail.

Advice to Management

I think corporate needs to spend time at the different schools. I don't mean just a day, in and out. Really spend some quality time, listening and observing.

AMIkids2019-07-18
  4. "Think Twice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at AMIkids full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commitment to kids and their families is phenomenal.

Cons

Understaffed, underpaid, poor work/life balance.

AMIkids2019-04-12

"***DO NOT WORK HERE***"

Current Employee - Direct Care Staff in Jonesville, SC

I have been working at AMIkids full-time for less than a year

Pros

Money and plenty of overtime

Cons

Lacks competent leadership. Staff attacks each other with gossip and rumors. The students are not handled and maintained. The Executive Director is about his image and not about the students. An abundance of USURY and EXTORTION...

Advice to Management

CLEAN YOUR OWN MESSES UP.... TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS VALUE ALL STAFF STOP LYING

AMIkids2019-04-10

AMIkids Response

May 3, 2019CEO

Our goal is to provide a safe, productive environment for our students and staff alike. As a current employee, please utilize the anonymous third-party conduit – ReportIt – to share these concerns so that our Operations and HR departments may review them immediately and act accordingly. -Michael Thornton, President & CEO

"Petty, Childish, Bullying Culture"

Former Employee - Family Therapist in Greenville, NC

I worked at AMIkids full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with the teenagers and families and improving their lives

Cons

Everything else! This place has too much favoritism, bullying, pettiness and everyone in leadership is childish! You don’t get paid what you are worth and this includes no overtime. This company is always ready to take money from you and never gives you what you deserve. Most of my expense checks came months late which was not helpful since I have bills to pay. Stay away from this company!

AMIkids2019-01-17

"Direct care staff"

Former Employee - Direct Care Worker in Melbourne, FL

I worked at AMIkids full-time for more than a year

Pros

Youth is giving an opportunity to obtain GED, Safe Serv, Certified Personal Trainer Certificates

Cons

Very corrupt upper management. They cover up all the major issues and not report to cooperate. Tobacco, Drugs, medication checking, denial of Abuse Calls, Staff continues to work although expired CPR and PAR training not up dated. Voided work details, inflated point cards, kids reinforce for negative behaviors. Incident reports are “fixed” to protect staff. Upper Management used staff as scapegoats. Staff is under... paid, 11$ an hour with NO annual pay raise. Rules are constantly adjust when deem nessary. Always short staff, working out of ratio, staff constantly late. Fraudulent time recorded on timesheet. Upper management only drug test the staff that they are 110% sure do not use drugs. Youths are being “pushed” through program constantly. Management signs off that youth has compled program successfully. Drug incident happen 11/19/2018 and is being covered up by management. Full investigation needs to be completed and you will see how corrupt they are.

Advice to Management

DRAIN THE SWAMP. Very corrupt. New management for a successful peogram.

AMIkids2018-12-08

"Great intentions, PoorLeadership/Execution"

I worked at AMIkids full-time

Pros

The kids I worked with weren’t as bad as the staff often pushed them to be. They need boundaries and honest conversations but they will respect those adults they are able to build a relationship with.

Cons

Staff are too often negative about the kids and it creates a cycle of toxicity. Leadership makes promises they have no way of keeping and no plan of action to follow through, which takes a toll on staff trying to figure out how to meet unrealistic and unsustainable expectations.

Advice to Management

Plan the how, gather the resources, THEN advertise and implement.

AMIkids2018-11-16

"Masters Level Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at AMIkids full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team environment Great Pay Compensation for going back to school Retirement benefits

Cons

Short Staff Lack of Communication Lack of funding

AMIkids2018-08-03
  10. "Support Staff"

Current Employee - Support Staff in Bennettsville, SC

I have been working at AMIkids part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management handles all situations very professional

Cons

There are no cons about this company

Advice to Management

N/A

AMIkids2018-08-01