AMN Healthcare Reviews

Updated May 13, 2021

3.8
AMN Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Susan R. Salka
Susan R. Salka
Pros
  • "Downstairs had a Starbucks and the cafeteria was pretty solid(in 41 reviews)

• "great work life balance and a great place to move up in(in 34 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Slow advancement and low pay at the time(in 31 reviews)

• "management lacking, commission sucks, high turnover rate(in 21 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of AMN Healthcare and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Amazing culture and purpose

May 12, 2021 - Group President in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Support the healthcare industry, collaborative high-performing culture, great opportunities for career advancement

Cons

Rigorous work environment, high demand

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

BS

May 12, 2021 - Recruiter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Sadly the highlights were staff originated; meaning that the staff created, cultivated and produced them. Pot lucks, friday morning staff dance for a few minutes, etc. The company provided perks were largely non existent.

Cons

SALES MANAGERS. Not all of them, but when your sales manager is a micromanager who treats you like a toddler, talks about your coworkers with you, tells the same complimentary lies to everyone (You are the best one here! You are SOOOOO talented!), and generally just sucks, okay it is just this one sales manager. But imagine working in an office with an open floor plan so you can observe other teams having five minute meetings when yours last thirty, or having your manager tap their watch when you walk in five minutes late while other teams are treated like adults........

3. 5.0

Great inclusive company

May 10, 2021 - Human Resources
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive, diverse, lots of opportunity

Cons

Fast paced, some bad leaders that make it hard to excel

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Customer Success, Employee Distress

May 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Offers education assistance -Offers access to Linkedin Learning -Lots of employee led resource groups -Constant job opportunities -User friendly intranet with lots of information -A library of accumulated information for team members through a "hub" -Wellness incentive allows for discount on insurance costs -Team member referral incentive is above average -Heavy focus on wellness programs (steps challenges, yoga, etc) - There's tons of tools for self development in your career. You can teach yourself a lot.

Cons

TDLR: Hourly pay is extremely low, flimsy attempts at diversity and inclusion that don’t extend past Dallas office, team members are overworked, and the teams are downsized constantly. - Schedules are not flexible. At the beginning of March 2020 the CTO stated on a company-wide call that individuals whose children would be home from school (due to school closures) should find a relative or spouse to care for children because team members needed to work – rather than offer reasonable accommodations. Even now, team members are publicly told that AMN will work with them but are individually told there is no support. - AMN’s CEO brought in over 2 million last year according to public information, while most hourly team members across back office brought home less than 55K. Livable wages don't exist. -There is a large push for employee led groups to offer a space of discussion around equity, diversity or other things which is awesome but unfortunately this puts the burdens of addressing systemic inequality and lack of diverse representation on team members who do not have the power to change these rather than the executive team (who never take action). BIPoC are often pushed out for bringing this up. The Dallas team members commonly make racist remarks without repercussions because they’re “top sellers”. -Wellness programs are ableist and do not allow for alternative engagement for team members with accessibility or mobility issues. -Team member referral incentives are high/there are plenty of opportunities here because turnover is so extreme. Support is not provided to departments which means that individuals are overworked, yelled (actually yelled at) at for metrics beyond their control, and leadership does nothing to help them. -You get hired for a role that has nothing to do with what you actually applied for, because their job descriptions are inaccurate. -You have to constantly move teams in order to find any time of healthy growth development. If you stay too long in one team, you'll get stuck. Your leaders do not care about your development. They will not teach you anything. -Employees are reprimanded for discussing pay with others, which allows for wage gaps and further exploitation of pay.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Three years in and I’m still as happy as I was day one.

Apr 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

*Managers and executive leaders are transparent about company direction. I feel like I’m contributing towards a winning team. *The work is fulfilling. I enjoy what I do, and I’m given the space I need to be successful. *The culture for my team is superb. We’ve fostered a team approach and help answer each other's questions when we don’t know something and have tried to find the answer. *The ERG’s are well supported. The company culture overall is inclusive and diverse, and welcoming to all. *the company cares about our development. Business unit training is constantly being offered. They also purchased LinkedIn Learning accounts for everyone. I also can etch out time in my schedule to actually use it! In other companies, this felt taboo. *We’ve taken a reality-based approach to work at AMN. This makes a huge difference and has propelled us towards finding results. *Up to this point, I haven’t discussed the benefits this far because I need to emphasize the culture is excellent here. It still work, and it can be overbearing at times, but we get through it. *so now the goods! The company has truly taken care of the staff during the pandemic. *We’ve had work from home stipends that allow us to keep the full amount and extra company bonuses that have really made a difference. *The company match on 401(k) has temporarily increased to dollar-for-dollar match up to 10% of our annual income through the end of June. *They’ve revamped the PTO policy giving us more time off away from the office. *The wellness incentive makes my insurance premiums free—$ 350 for premiums annually and $350 for wellness incentive. *the tuition reimbursement is top in the industry. The company is forward-thinking, diverse, and fascinating to work for. It’s weird how much I enjoy working here.

Cons

*The bonus program isn’t much of an incentive to achieve excellence in its current state. I wish some of the dollars could be available based on individual performance and could be a higher % of annual salary. To be honest, if the bonus program went away, I’d honestly not care much because the amount is so low. *I would like to see financial planning offered as a benefit to employees. This is something other companies are starting to provide that we don’t have available. *While I know this is restricted sometimes due to laws, I would like to use a half-day for PTO.

AMN Healthcare Response Team

We are so happy to hear about your positive experience working with us! I would love to connect with you as we absolutely have offered financial planning in the past as it comes up as a request. Please feel free to reach out to me at Julie.Fletcher@AMNHealthcare.com. Julie Fletcher, Chief Talent Officer

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Slower growth when all departments aren't happy

Jan 22, 2021 - Recruiter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent job choices for your book of business. Team atmosphere. Flexible with time off. Remote work available. Career growth available. Generous PTO/Floating holiday time off.

Cons

The focus is on metrics that get to the booking instead of the booking itself. 510 outbound calls a week for many recruiters is normal. Social Media recruiting is discouraged, however - those are the hottest leads. Unfortunately, you have to go against the grain and do other things to get the bookings then back track to hit a metric. Even with recent pay structure adjustments - still not as competitive as market. System is outdated && tracking needs to be done manually to be successful with a large book of business.

AMN Healthcare Response Team

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us. We strive to foster a healthy and effective work culture at AMN Healthcare. I would like to discuss your feedback regarding our current recruitment processes and leadership. If you would like to do so, please reach out to me at Julie.Purinton@AMNHealthcare.com. Julie Purinton, VP, Travel Nurse Recruitment

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Team

Apr 23, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best part of working for AMN is the culture that has been built and that they are an industry leader. The AMN team is driven but operates with integrity. I met a lot of great people and we were able to make big impacts during Covid.

Cons

Was caught in the middle of a few teams in transition.

AMN Healthcare Response Team

We are so happy to hear about your positive experience working with us! In the spirit of transparency and continuous improvement, I would love to hear your recommendations regarding streamlining technical feedback. Please feel free to reach out to me at Julie.Fletcher@AMNHealthcare.com. Julie Fletcher, Chief Talent Officer

8. 5.0

Solid

Apr 10, 2021 - Medical Laboratory Technologists (MLT) in Astoria, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

They had my back when I was placed that ultimately was unsafe when I got there... professional, fast and efficient. I have found contracts in areas I like within a day for 4 consecutive contracts, so far.

Cons

I don't have any cons so far that have to do with the agency. I have been a traveler for 6 years.

AMN Healthcare Response Team

We are so happy to hear about your positive experience working with us! If you ever have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me at Landry.Seedig@AMNHealthcare.com Landry Seedig, Group President and Chief Operating Officer, Nursing and Allied Solutions”

9. 4.0

lots of benefits

May 5, 2021 - ICU Travel Nurse
      Business Outlook

Pros

best recruiters, most assignments to offer, fastest reponses and job offers

Cons

lower pay then the smaller companies

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great company

May 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

None none none none none.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 695 Reviews